New Sendero! What to do!

drewman

Hey just got the Christmas gift I ordered from the shop. I was the first one to open the box and it looked great! I was and still am very excited.
Well once I got her home I started really looking at her and what would you know she has a wierd machine marks on the crown. It does not go into the muzzle or onto the grooves of lands but it does look like !@#$. So I got to more looking and the recoil lug looks like someone put two hammer marks in it. Not punch marks but flat hammer marks.
And the last thing the barrel sits to one side of the barrel groove in the stock.

Other than that she is very sexy, but I'm a little disappointed.

So, the question is what now should I take her back to the gun shop. Talk to remington(ie: send it back to them directly). Maybe take it to the local remington repair center that is only five minute away?

Looking for some advice and I know you all have some good ideas

Thanks Drew /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey just got the Christmas gift I ordered from the shop. I was the first one to open the box and it looked great! I was and still am very excited.
Well once I got her home I started really looking at her and what would you know she has a wierd machine marks on the crown. It does not go into the muzzle or onto the grooves of lands but it does look like !@#$. So I got to more looking and the recoil lug looks like someone put two hammer marks in it. Not punch marks but flat hammer marks.
And the last thing the barrel sits to one side of the barrel groove in the stock.

Other than that she is very sexy, but I'm a little disappointed.

So, the question is what now should I take her back to the gun shop. Talk to remington(ie: send it back to them directly). Maybe take it to the local remington repair center that is only five minute away?

Looking for some advice and I know you all have some good ideas

Thanks Drew /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let the local "repair shop" work on it.

SEND IT BACK TO REMINGTON!!!

They wil replace it with a new rifle. (They do not repair them for barrel or action problems).

Hi this is what i would do.

If it is a large magnum calibre i would have the face of the action squared and a larger recoil lug fitted as well as getting the lugs lapped. I would then have the action skim bedded onto the bedding block and have the trigger adjusted. I would do this to all Rem Sendaro's anyway. Because of the marks on the crown i would get the gunsmith to recrown your barrel and you will have an awsome long range rifle.

If you are short on funds at the moment run the barrel in and shoot it and get the work done when you can.

What calibre is it?

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter - If I send it to Remington will they have it forever and a day? Drew

[/ QUOTE ]

I returned a new XR-100 rifle that had a gouge in the chamber wall - the completely new rifle (including the stock) was back in my hands in less than two weeks, and that includes the time at the dealers shipping and receiving it.

If you let anyone work on the rifle, you loose the warantee, and you are on your own.

I know a number of guys that have bought the Sendero-IIs and they were fine, so on their recomendation, I ordered mine, and it is flawless. It is the best Remington I have bought in 20 years... and I have bought a hell of a lot of them in that time.

Why spend $1000 +/- on a new rifle and then spend another pile of money to rebuild it???

Get Rem to replace it... they will inspect the replacement for flaws before they return it... so you are getting the "pick of the litter" so to speak.

You don't need to lap the lugs because then you have to rechamber and set back the barrel to eliminate the headspace you created, and if you get a new thicker lug, you will have to machine the Aluminum block in the stock for a fit, and there is nothing wrong with the orginal lug (unless you are an anal compulsive retentive)... and if you go that far, then you might as well get a new barrel, and if you go that far, then you might as well... etc, etc, etc... and now you have a $2000 factory rifle, with no warantee - hello, does anyone else see something wrong with this plan ???

If you want to build a custom rifle, then don't buy a Sendero and rebuild it, get an action and start from scratch - it's much cheaper!

Get a new replacement rifle, mount a scope, and have fun.

Took the rifle back to the dealer and they just sent it back and ordered a new one. Hopefully problem solved.

Drew
ps: took a nice Bobcat the other day. Came right into the call at last light. Large Male pretty old I quess form the worn down teeth. Pelt looks great and should tan great.

I sent back an LSS in 300 Win mag. They lost it and after a lot of heartache they replaced it after 90 days with a new one. 2 weeks after that they shipped my gunsmith the repaired one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.