New scope

I would lean towards a variable with high end in the 20X range. For your price range an SHV, used NXS or a Huskemaw would by my choices all having proven turret precision for LR work.

That's what I have heard a lot. Ive heard great things about huskemaw but the 1/3moa adjustments seem weird to me. i need to read a little more about them

Ive been looking at those. actually watching reviews on them right now. Have you had any experience with them?

I have experience with the NXS and ATACR. They are on my buddies rifles. No direct experience with SHV minus playing with them and looking through them at gun shops. Only providing the SHV series recommendation based on your constraints (MOA and ~$1200). Read good reviews about them. Playing with them in the store they were impressive. But the true test is actually on the rifle and wailing on the turrets.

I am a SWFA guy. I really like their toughness and no frills. Only issue is the type of scope youre looking for is only offered in FFP MIL/MIL.

I had an athlon ares and cronus. They are nice scopes. Got rid of them though to get similar scopes on all my rifles (SWFA HDs), because I am boring like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I have heard a lot. Ive heard great things about huskemaw but the 1/3moa adjustments seem weird to me. i need to read a little more about them
Sounded strange to me as well when I bought my first about 8 years ago. I've experienced no difference in results in game and steel out to 1200 yards with my 6.5x284's, and appreciate the 20 MOA on one turret revolution. They have also proven to be exceptionally reliable with a nicely synchronized parallax/focus control which has been problematic with my NF's. Glass is comparable to my NSX. IMO.

What if you were to limit your choices to sfp and the same price range?

SWFA offers their 3-15x42mm in MOA/SFP and MOA/FFP for $699. If you wait for their annual sale you can get them as low as $499.

I have had good luck with my vx6's so far. I would like to try the new vx5 4-20. I think that would make a great scope. I have been seeing some vx6's at what I thought was a fair price. Just my thought and two cents. Good luck and the suggestions that a given already are from people with more knowledge than me.

I have a SHV. ATACR as well. They are completely different optics. Although for a hunting. Scope the SHV is tough as nails. Dials like it should dependable as a tank. The glass is better on the higher end like you would expect. I'm running the first focal plane 4x14 because it has a zero set Some Shvs don't have zero set. Very important on a hunting rifle

May I suggest either a NF SHV or a Bushnell?

We are announcing a deal next week on:

Your choice of either Bushnell:

ET3124GI LRTSi 3-12x44 Ill G3, Matte
&
ET3124GA LRTS, 3-12x44, G3, FDE

for only $749.99

We are accepting pre-orders if you'd like. Just give us a call, 516-217-1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.