new scope ideas

HntWhtTail

I am looking for anew scope, I have decided I want more magnification(14-20x), currently have a Bushnell 3200 elite 10x , dont need mil dot but do want good knobs that can be turned with gloves on. any Ideas i have done a bit of searching but it seems everything with the knobs I want has a mil type reticle. My theory is why have the mil dot if I m dialing it anyway.

Look into the Vortex Viper HS scopes and the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with the Z-Plex reticle.

Both scopes can have the turret caps swapped with custom ones for your load and rifle's drop, from Kenton Industries. I have been wanting to order a couple sets for several of mine for LR hunting.

The first question to ask yourself is "How much am I wiling to spend".

Then we can give you better guidance.

The biggest advantage to the hash marked or mil dot reticles is for rapid follow ups. They create a grid whereby you can spot your hit and put that spot on your target and give it another quick shot.

My preference is for Leupold VX3's, VX6, and VXL's along with IOR Tactical scopes with the MP-8 reticle. In the Leupy's I like either a mil dot, varmint, or B&C reticle.

The Zeiss Conquest are also really nice scopes that are pretty much the top of the line in their price point. Set up right their rapid z reticles work very well too. I have several Conquests with mildot reticles on predator hunting rifles and love them for the quick follow ups.

The IOR MP-8 reticle is however my favorite of all.

I have always been a fan of bushnell elite glass and have my fair share of 3200s and 4200s. I decided this spring to take a chance on a viper vortex pst ffp 6-24x50 mil/mrad with the erb1 reticle. I have to say I'm impressed and though I hear you that you plan to dial...so why have a reticle with adjustments... I must admit it gives me the best of both worlds in case i don't have the time to dial... Quick shots... Or quick adjustments on a follow up.

The dials on the scope are dead on...repeatable...easy to get ahold of...even with gloves...and nice tactile feel on the clicks. I bought mine with the ffp which I really like...though that's a personal preference... And if you don't like ffp... It'll save you coin in the overall price.

Good luck... Btw... I don't think I'll ever buy another bushie... Cuz I see more vortexes in my future.

i h ave owned several long range scopes. from the bottom end upwards to my current vortex viper PST 6-24x50 with MOA reticle...

my advice is get one like mine. i had a nikon bukmasters, a bushy elite 3200 like yours, an oculus and this one. just spend the $750 on the PST. my percentage of first round hits on steel out to 900 yards went from 5% to 99%. i had the dope and the ability all along. the only thing i changed was the scope in the past 2 months.

most of my problem was that my scope was not good enough to dial reliably over that many clicks.

thanks for all the input I am going to look at scopes tomorrow, I have been looking at vortex, price wise a better choice right now. Just loaded the last 50 rounds and I can get back to range tomorrow afternoon rifle season starts this weekend. I'll let you know what happens I did shoot the other day with my son and was able to get a 3.75" 3 shot rapid fire (aquire target squeeze open bolt close bolt aquire squeeze ...)group at 400 with the bushnell. maybe I dont need a new scope

I just bought the 5-20x50 Vortex Razor HD. Mounted it today so I haven't used it yet. I moved up from the 4-16x50 Vortex pst moa ebr-1. I may be interested in selling the pst. Love the PST but wanted more power and went with the razor for better glass. They PST gives you a lot for the $$

Pills... If you decide to let go of the pst... Hit me up if the price is right. I might be interested in picking up another. It's funny, but you and I took the exact opposite routes! I bought a razor hd and it was just too heavy for the field work I do. Built like a tank... But heavy as one too. Sold it and bought the pst... Very happy all the way around.

-James

James, that's why I'm holding on to it until I get to use the Razor some. I'm not sure if I will like the extra size/weight on a hunting rifle. I have a feeling the 6-24x50 PST may be where I end up. If I do decide to sell I will let you know.

Check out the Burris XTRll line. Very good glass. Much better than the Pst line. Price is around 1000. This is a great scope

If your max scope price is $1,000, I'd definitely go with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 MOAR reticle. Lock it down with a set of Seekins Precision rings, and an EGW HD base.

Well looked at every scope in town, including a used huskemaw, made my decision did one finally internet search and found the scope on sale on line so its on order. and the winner is Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 erb 2b mrad. Not even close to what I set out to buy but I really liked it (and my birthday was yesterday) then finding it for 600 less online I pulled the trigger I will post follow up when I get it mounted and shoot it. Thanks for everyone's input.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts