New scope for a first build?

Buck300

My first dedicated long range hunter is a 6.5x284 Norma, #4 26in. barrel and it needs a scope, my thoughts are 4.5x14 Zeiss Z-800, Zeiss 6x20x50 mil-dot, Husk maw 4x16 to be introduced soon, ER/T Leopold 4.5x14x50 M2 TMR, this one I found a deal on; or SWFA 3x15 mil/mil, I think the turrets are to big and no zero stop, Vortex 4x16 HS T; any better ideas and all this experience would be a big help, thanks. all it will ever do is HUNT, deer antelope and cow elk.

I have the Vortex HSLR FFP 4-16 and so far it's doing well. If you hand carry a rifle a lot you will find that the windage knob on the HS-T and other scopes with windage turrets will poke you right in the wrist and won't allow the rifle to be used with a standard scabbard horseback where as the plain HS has a capped windage knob and exposed elevation. If those little things don't bother you I think the HS-T with the upgrades would be a great choice.

The Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and 4.5-14x50 are both excellent scopes! I have 2 Conquests, and have another on lay-away at my local store, so soon to be 3 of them. That will make two 6.5-20x50's and one 3-12x56 30mm FFP.

I would put them just under my Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50, which is about twice the price of the Conquests. They are not quite as crisp as the Kahles, but they are certainly as clear. The Kahles also has some rediculous low-light abilities, but once again, the Conquests are right behind it.

I have the Vortex HSLR FFP 4-16 and so far it's doing well. If you hand carry a rifle a lot you will find that the windage knob on the HS-T and other scopes with windage turrets will poke you right in the wrist and won't allow the rifle to be used with a standard scabbard horseback where as the plain HS has a capped windage knob and exposed elevation. If those little things don't bother you I think the HS-T with the upgrades would be a great choice.
Hello and thanks for the reply, how long have you had the Vortex and has it seen rough use? I'm leaning that way for the features they offer, just a little unsure about there longevity.

Hello and thanks for the reply, how long have you had the Vortex and has it seen rough use? I'm leaning that way for the features they offer, just a little unsure about there longevity.

If it does break, you can send it back to Vortex and they will replace it. I dont think they would offer that warranty if they didnt expect them to last forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.