Which scope for new APS build???

whin4

I have been driving myself crazy over the last couple of months trying to decide on which scope to get for my first custom rig. The rifle is currently being built by Kirby with the following components:

Borden Timberline receiver
Wyatts extended mag box
Lilja #5 contour fluted, 26" barrel
McMillan ADL stock made with Edge technology
Jewell trigger
Holland QD muzzle brake
Seekins aluminum rail base
NF Ultralight rings

The rifle which will be chambered in 7mm STW will be used for a large variety of hunting with shots from 10 yards out to as far as i can confidently shoot, hopefully 600 yards, or perhaps further.

I am wanting to keep the overall weight down as much as i can so i dont want any 30oz NF. Ideally id like to stick to a 40mm obj and i would prefer to keep away from any really tall turrets like the Leupold M1.

The new NXS 2.5-10x32 seemed perfect except for the lack of parallax adjustment. There seems to be a mixture of opinions of whether parallax adjustment is needed for 10x, ive heard some very experienced people say that its not needed, but ive had equally experienced people say that it is "highly preferred." What are your thoughts? Does any one know what size parallax era can be caused at 600yd with 10x?

I have also been looking at the US Optics SN-3s 1.8-10x37 with Adj Obj, Ive heard great things about this scope but at 25oz its really a bit heaver than id prefer.

All opinions welcome, what scope would you use?

Thanks in advance.

whin4
For the 600yard or less range that you are talking about, you are wise to look at the new Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope.If you want to keep the weight down as stated, IMO this is the best bang for your buck for quality/weight ratio. You give up alittle bit of magnification on the top end, but have a scope with excellent glass. Looked thru a friends scope the other day at a 10" steel plate at 500yards , and had no problem shooting tight groups with that scope. Welcome to the 7STW club. I have one and think it is a great caliber. Another option too would be a Huskemaw scope, at alittle less money, light weight and good glass.This is also a good scope and I have it on my 7STW.

whin4,

Hmmm, a #5 fluted. Sounds pretty nifty. This is gonna be a great rifle.

The scope should honor the rifle. Wouldn't want to put a cheap frame on a Rembrandt? The rifles that come out of the APS are works of art in craftsmanship! THis is not to say that rifle from other smiths here aren't. I happen to have a Kirby creation.

10X with the correct reticle and great glass is more than enough for your specifications. You want a sturdy scope, solid clicks, and a great reticle. The NXS fits this criteria very well.

It was goot to hear that trublue has a Huskemaw on his and likes it. Ya don't hear much about them.

I went the Zeiss route and am pleased my choice. Mine only gets carried to the "hide". Yours is more of a carry rifle and will be handled a little less delicately. I'd go with the NXS.

My preference. I have 2 APS builds and I put Leupold on both, Mark 4's. I have 2 other rifles with the Leupold VXIII's on them in 40 tube and they are great and light scopes for carry guns.
Have fun with the new APS, you might want target turrents, the APS gun will really reach out, fun dialing in at 1200 yds and hitting stuff!

I think the NightForce 2.5-10 would be perfect. Thats what I plan on using on my next rifle.

Thanks for that guys, i think im about convinsed to go with the NF. If there's anyone who thinks that im making a mistake by not getting a scope with parallax adj id be keen to hear from you.

PS if anybody is thinking of getting a USO they are offering a 15% discount on all orders before the 6th of January.

You do not need parallax adjustment for a scope with a top end power of 10X. It won't be an issue out to 6 or even 900 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.