Agonizing over scope for new 280ai build

CTK

I have not been on this site in some time. Just looked through a bunch of recent posts and regret my absence. I have a 280ai build a few months out from completion. Gunsmith is now waiting on McMillan. This rifle will probably come in a little over 7lbs bare. It is not a long range rig but should be accurate. I considered jumping in the thread with the guy wanting a 1400y scope for his 6lb rifle. I have tried the ultra light rifle thing and was embarrassed at how poorly I was able to shoot the rifle off of the bench at 100y. It was not the fault of the 5lb rifle. My new rifle will have an Edge fill stock and a 24" Bartlein 2b barrel. Will call this a 500y max rifle. Have been looking at Swarovski and Zeiss options. I have owned the older Zeiss Conquests, Swaro Z5's and currently use a Kahles CL on my 6.5x47 hunting rifle. Most of my recent scope have had ballistic turrets. Love the idea but cannot see the white Swarovski turret colored markers or the silver indents on my Kahles scope turrets without reading glasses. I am considering a ballistic reticle. Would consider illuminated reticle but have never used one. Would like side focus. Rifle will be used for whitetail in the South and occasional Mule Deer hunt in western states. Would appreciate opinions on my short list of possibilities and any other suggestions are welcomed. Would love to find a demo or trusted used scope.

Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 BRH reticle. Could go illuminated on this but at top of my price range
Zeiss V6 Conquest 2.5-15x44 Unclear on reticle or ballistic turret.
Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 BRH reticle. Have owned plex variant of this scope before. Not convinced glass was the best.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Craig

Bought a Meopta Optica 6 ,sfp 3x18x50 with their Dichro bdc retical , I'm thrilled with it Every time I use it. Also available in ffp and many retical choices , twice the scope at Half the price Treat YourSelf !!! Cheers !

if your just going to zero it and forget it, and not be dialing, that opens up a lot of options.

Are you wanting a simplified hold over reticle, or somewhat of a christmas tree style?

A decent option may be the vortex Razor HD LHT, I have heard good things about it, they are light, have a locking/zero stop turret on top if you wish, capped windage, and a simple but useable MOA or MIL SFP reticle, with an illuminated floating center dot.

Also if you are any kind of first responder, you can get it for a good discount, just call them and ask.

I haven't used them, but the quigly ford scopes advertised on here may work for you. I personally am not a fan, simply because I like the versatility of being able to change ammo and move scopes to different guns, and the reticles are etched to one specific load/density altitude, but if your ok with that and want a max 500 yards in the simplest way, that may be the way for you to go.

Just a couple more options to confuse you more ha ha

Appears you are building a classic hunting rifle, not a 1000 yard steel ringer. You don't need something elaborate to kill a deer with a 280 AI. I'd go with a FFP scope in the 2-10 range and a simple holdover reticle.

Quick search found this one @$400 from Optics Plane.
Nikon Monarch 3 Riflescope 3-12x42 16362, Color: Black, Tube Diameter:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.