Looking at Scope Options for New Build

Mark37082

I have been trying to diversify my thoughts on the next scope purchase. I have been Leupold fan for decades. I thought I should be more open minded and attempt to find an alternative to my inclination to just order another VX6HD.
Requirements:
Weight: under 25 oz.
SFP 3-18 or similar
Illuminated non-cluttered reticle
50 Objective
Excellent Glass - I know this is subjective
Zero Stop with exposed elevation
Warranty - equal to Lupy
under $2500
Long Action compatible (mounting on Anti X)
Does this exist other than the VX6HD?
Thanks in advance for your input.

It sounds like your only choice is the Vortex LHT or possibly something from March.

I'll take a closer look at the March offerings. Any experience with their warranty?

Sucks….I got an MOA scope from them. Never touched it. Still new in the box. Asked them to exchange it for mil. They politely told me to pound sand.

Don't get me wrong. After they told me no, I played with the scope and it was perfect. I loved everything about it. CS was just pretty short and to the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zeiss V6 was on my list of options. All the noise on their political correctness initially turned me away. I probably over-reacted to the instructions or their dealers. I also put Swarovski on my list of possibles, but do not have any direct experience with them.

Whereas, I have rarely been forced to deal with warranties and customer service, the piece of mind that comes with Leupold and Vortex is meaningful.

I have been trying to diversify my thoughts on the next scope purchase. I have been Leupold fan for decades. I thought I should be more open minded and attempt to find an alternative to my inclination to just order another VX6HD.
Requirements:
Weight: under 25 oz.
SFP 3-18 or similar
Illuminated non-cluttered reticle
50 Objective
Excellent Glass - I know this is subjective
Zero Stop with exposed elevation
Warranty - equal to Lupy
under $2500
Long Action compatible (mounting on Anti X)
Does this exist other than the VX6HD?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Check out the Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18×50
I just picked up a Credo 4-16x50 and I'm seriously impressed so far.
I've owned some high end scopes and the Trijicon glass makes $2500 optics seem unimpressive

I'm trying to find a good reason to change things up. I guess I basically described the VX6HD in my requirements. I went back and looked closely at the Trijicon and Nightforce NX8. I'm just really struggling with keeping the weight down. Adding another 1/2 lb. with the NF will put me over my target weight. The Trijicon is another 5 oz. over the Lupy. I guess I'm painting myself in a corner to a certain extent with the requirements I'm listing….
Thanks for the input.

Leupold, Vortex and March are the lightweight contenders in your categories. Leupold and Vortex can easily fit in your budget, you will likely have to go used on a March.

Between Leupold and Vortex it's a no brainer for me; I'll take the Leupold every time. I do currently own a Vortex LHT 4.5-22 and it's a decent scope but I keep second guessing myself every time I take it out. I've not had good luck at all in the past with Vortex.

I also absolutely love the Leupold Alumina scope caps. Nothing else on the market competes with them IMO. I tried the Vortex defender caps on the LHT and I think they suck. I currently have the Tennebraex covers on it and they are expensive for what they are (plastic) and very bulky. I have to position them just right to not have interference with the barrel on front and bolt in the rear. Absolutely NOT worth the $100 I paid for them for sure.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bump up the $$ spent to get an appreciably better scope. I don't want to throw $$ at just a premium brand name and not get noticeable performance improvement.

I would be willing to bump up the $$ spent to get an appreciably better scope. I don't want to throw $$ at just a premium brand name and not get noticeable performance improvement.
I think weight is going to be your issue, even with a bump in budget.

Kahles is going to be heavy
NF (possibly except NX8) is going to be heavy
ZCO is going to be heavy
Tanget Theta ???? I'm not sure…

I have read mostly positive things about the Trijicon Ten Mile line of scopes. So bought one in 3-18X flavor, used like new off this Forum. Pretty nice glass. But folk that say the glass is comparable to $2,500 scopes?

I also bought a used Swarovski X5 off this Forum. Then compared the Trijicon glass to the Swaro X5 glass. In dim light it was easily obvious which scope had the better low light performance. The Swaro X5.

I presume the Ten Mile will be a decent scope for its cost. Haven't mounted it on a rifle yet. But it will never be a Swaro X5, except perhaps shooting with artificial lighting.

Recent Posts