Looking at Scope Options for New Build

Bushnell 4.5x18 LRHS is 27 oz. I am sure their non illum and their 3-12 model is even lighter. I have the LRHS and love it.

EDIT: It would help if I read all of the OPs requirements. LRHS is out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mark5 5-25,is optically clearer than my March 3 24 f1.March lighter and better packer,past 20x on mine not that clear TT 315M=27 oz.Big cost,Id like try a leupold 3-18 M5,but im mil guy.

If I lived and hunted mostly in the west with wide open long range shots, I would move to FFP. I just can't overcome the need for being able to quickly acquire a target on a deer in the dark woods. My shots on game can be from 50 to 400 yards where I spend the most time hunting. I dial for long range.

Tract is interesting as I believe they are what used to be Nikon rifle scope.

Leupold, Vortex and March are the lightweight contenders in your categories. Leupold and Vortex can easily fit in your budget, you will likely have to go used on a March.

Between Leupold and Vortex it's a no brainer for me; I'll take the Leupold every time. I do currently own a Vortex LHT 4.5-22 and it's a decent scope but I keep second guessing myself every time I take it out. I've not had good luck at all in the past with Vortex.

I also absolutely love the Leupold Alumina scope caps. Nothing else on the market competes with them IMO. I tried the Vortex defender caps on the LHT and I think they suck. I currently have the Tennebraex covers on it and they are expensive for what they are (plastic) and very bulky. I have to position them just right to not have interference with the barrel on front and bolt in the rear. Absolutely NOT worth the $100 I paid for them for sure.

I hear you on the Tennebraex covers. I also think it's criminal what Leupold is asking for the aluminum covers. I've got a VX5-HD and can't imagine spending an extra almost $500 for scope covers. It's insane. I wish there were a decent in between option but until then bikini caps it is for me! Lol

I hear you on the Tennebraex covers. I also think it's criminal what Leupold is asking for the aluminum covers. I've got a VX5-HD and can't imagine spending an extra almost $500 for scope covers. It's insane. I wish there were a decent in between option but until then bikini caps it is for me! Lol
$500???? Where are you seeing that for the Alumina covers?

If I lived and hunted mostly in the west with wide open long range shots, I would move to FFP. I just can't overcome the need for being able to quickly acquire a target on a deer in the dark woods. My shots on game can be from 50 to 400 yards where I spend the most time hunting. I dial for long range.

Tract is interesting as I believe they are what used to be Nikon rifle scope.
I just looked at the Tract Toric 4.5-30 and it's 41oz!o_O

In my mind and experience the alumina covers are the best on the market. Pricey, yes, but simply the best. You will pay approximately $200 for alumina covers on a VX5HD. So the VX6HD gives you a boost of 3 on the top end, a reticle leveling feature, and covers over the base VX5HD.

The Zeiss V6 was on my list of options. All the noise on their political correctness initially turned me away. I probably over-reacted to the instructions or their dealers. I also put Swarovski on my list of possibles, but do not have any direct experience with them.

Whereas, I have rarely been forced to deal with warranties and customer service, the piece of mind that comes with Leupold and Vortex is meaningful.
Don't discount Zeiss. Don't forget heir policymaking comes out of Germany, and is constantly evolving. The hunting market is a minuscule part of their sales, but they are more than willing to work with us. They are now a huge sponsor of the PRS matches. That said, and though it's a little out of your stated price range, the new long range scope looks awesome!

$500???? Where are you seeing that for the Alumina covers?

So really $470 but still. Insane…

I'm sure you can find them on sale sometimes or someone might have a little better pricing on them but I just don't think I can pay that much for scope caps.

Recent Posts