new ruger no 1 7 stw

bigjohn

Finally got to putting together a 7 mm stw had a ruger no 1 tropical in 45-70 that wasn't getting any use so I got a magnum extractor and a 284 mgowen no 4 countour barrel to finish at 26 inches and sent it to my smith sent a semi fancy set of stock blanks to alberta gunstocks and had them duplicate a stock set for me out of black Walnut added an English walnut grip and forend cap to it now just waiting on my barreled action to arrive from the smith so I can blue the barrel and do the final finish on the stocks can't wait just need to choose a scope for this set up right now it is between a monarch 3 2-8x32 bdc a vx3 2.5-8x36 bc or a swaro z3 3-9 x 36 brh any suggestions would be apreciated

Big, like to see pics when finished. Why not a higher power scope? I've been looking for a No. 1 for a while to re-barrel.

Cool idea on the #1... Did you go with a 8" or 9" twist? I've been shooting a #1 in 338win for well over a decade; it shoots great but I like hunting my 7's and 30's... I just might have to think about doing this to her...

As I am still going to be using the 1/4 rib for mounting like to keep the scope light but might also give a vx3 4-14x40 a shot

I've found the quarter rib sturdier than I originally thought. I'm not a huge fan of Ruger rings, but the E. Arthur Brown Company (EABCO), makes a rail that attaches to the quarter rib, and allows for more ring options.

I like the VX6-3-18x, a little more top end for stretching the STW to where it wants to be. I prefer the 50mm objective.

It sounds like a good looking set up. Do you have a total finished weight in mind?

Haven't thought to much about a finished weight yet was hoping to keep it right around 9 pounds not sure if eabco ships to Canada but will keep my eyes open for something this side of the border I have also had good luck with leupold replacement rings on rugers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.