new 7 stw member

mark308

Just got my project from the gunsmith. ! Thank you Hunter of Brown Dog Gunsmithing. Its based on a SAKO action with a Bartlien 28" barrel. variable twist.
Now for a scope, maybe a huskemaw or nightforce. will see. Starting loads will be with the 168gr to see how she shoots. gun) Will be ready for some longrange speed goats this season. My 25 Ackley was good to 500yds, now to stretch it out some. Gotta stay up with my friends 338 norma. :D here's to the brotherhood:)

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice rig. What is the barrel twist? Haven't played with a gain twist myself. Am looking forward to hearing how your gun shoots.

I have put 100 rounds thru the rifle. it is FAST. the finished barrel is at 28" with a 9.5-8.5 twist. so far the 162 eldx is running 3300fps with a basic load, Im using magnum powder for it and the 175 eldx. good accuracy 3/4-1/2 if I do my part. Brown Dog Gunsmithing did the work.
At first I thought the chrony was off but checked it with another. its good. the load is not above book. I cant see any signs of over pressure. Im going hunting this weekend! Look out goats gun)

Welcome and I now understand how you are getting such high speeds. The gain twist barrels tend to be smoking fast but are really hard on bullets and tend to copper foul badly as a result so be sure to keep it cleaned fairly regularly or you may have pressure problems.

Personally I really favor the foaming bore cleaners rather than lots of rodding.

I have used the Montana copper cleaner on it. not a lot of copper. It may be Hornady bullets. I don't see a need for the Berger stuff yet. The 162 was over kill on an antelope this year. I'm looking forward to an elk using the 175s ELDX seems as good as anything. I bought a Huskemaw scope and like it better than my Leupold. which takes a lot for me, been using there's forever.

Which .25 Ackley did you go with? .25-45 Krag Imp? .250-3000 Sav Imp? .25-06 AI?

Not that it matters, just curious since there was alot of 1/4-bores he improved.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.