Ruger no 1 in 7stw

I fully glass bedded the forearm of my no 1 AH. It wasn't any more difficult than bedding my ruger 77's. The screw that's being referred to is the Hicks accurizer. I have 2 of them, but they're still in the bag. After bedding my 25-06, it will print 1" groups with a 120 gr rem bullet and 55.3 gr of Magpro. They are finicky rascals, and as someone else pointed out, if you wanna shoot groups, the forend must be placed as close to the receiver as possible, and it must be in the same exact place every time, or your groups are going to open up, sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot, but they are definitely going to open up and wander. Just nature of the rifle.

We have officially hijacked this thread! :) lol

All good info, yes for me if i get an inch gun to +/- 200 yards i'm tickled with them for hunting. Beyond that i have things for just the occasion, rugers are just fun for me to hunt with in about 90 percent of the hunting we do here in texas.

257 weatherby when they came out, trigger was just terrible, replaced it with eabco trigger, couldn't get a jard and it worked so well i bought 3 more and swapped some out on other rifles that were ok, but we made them better.

I have also heard of bedding the fore end from the screw back, but have never tried it.
I did this to mine. Sanded out the forend to where all was floated except where it went to receiver and hanger. Then I bedded it at those two points. This eliminated the pressure between barrel and forend tip, which is why they all shift zero's in different weather conditions and temperatures. Made all the difference. Never shifts zero now and shoots my HL's @ .7moa its a 30-06.

Attachments

• no1.jpg
    no1.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 20
They were very limited in caliber selection ...

The two I remember belonged to one of my dads hunting buddies. One was a 25 Krag the other was a 30-40 Krag in the mid 70s
Add .22 Hornet to the list as I own one.

That said, they're not as fancy as the No. 1, but they would take a re-barrelling and a re-stocking just the same as a No. 1

I have no issues with a nearly bone stock #1 in 338. I did sand off the high points on the forearm a couple decades ago so there weren't any odd contact points. She dumps cloverleafs with 225 hdy and rl19 at 100... I do watch the bagging and hold to make sure the pressure is over the forearm screw.