New Rifles: The Good, the bad, the ugly

Yeah about two years ago, my son was home for Christmas and had been living in Colorado for about three years, decided to get back into hunting. He says, "dad you always told me you're gonna pass that rifle down...do I have to wait until you croak, 'cause I can really use it now?' So I let him have it along with a box of 50 custom rounds and got my favorite gun shop to build me a custom 30-06:)!
My Son is always eying my Sauers and CZ's and my Dad's S&W revolvers and whispering "Someday..."

Curious to see what new rifle offerings people are excited about, ones that people are scratching their heads over and ones that being are just plain repulsed by. I'll start the ball rolling with some of my opinions, polite disagreements are encouraged, emphasis on polite.

The good: I think Kimber is onto something with their open range models. They look to be well thought out and nicely spec'd. don't own any Kimbers but these looked interesting to me. Browning continues to impress me with their X-Bolt offerings, it seems like they have a model that would fit the bill for every hunter even though I think it's weird that they run a 1-12 twist on their 308 Win barrels. Ruger I think has nailed the new Marlin 1895's, really excited for the 336's.

The bad: I can't for the life of me understand what Savage was thinking with the impulse. It seems like a waste of time, effort and money. I applaud them for trying something new and thinking outside the box but I can't see that selling or where they thought there would even be a demand for that rifle. I was disappointed to see Weatherby stop offering the vanguard/mk5 in stainless. I like to overkill my rifles and cerakote my stainless steel rifles, I like the idea of a more corrosion resistant bore. Generally I love the Ruger M77 Hawkeyes but the hunter model with the 20 MOA rail on a walnut stock with a stainless action is just a real head scratcher to me. It's like a baseball player going to his game in shoulder pads with basketball shoes on.

The ugly: anything wearing that NRA over watch pattern or the Ruger Go Wild Pattern. I remember it from a few years ago and hope it died.

Episode IV: a new Hope- would love to see the TC Icon come back, that think was ahead of its time.
I recently got a Bergara Premier HMR in .308. First factory gun I've had in a long time. I absolutely love it. They did a nice job putting this together. Pulled it apart to inspect and clean it. Didn't find any excess flashing or burrs anywhere. Great finish. Like the tool free bolt assembly. I set the TT Primary trigger to 2.5 pounds and it is very consistent. Safety is handy and smooth. The action is indeed buttery smooth as lots of folks have mentioned. In process of breaking it in now. I'll report back when I start loading for it. Hope you find what you are looking for. Stay safe and have fun.

I recently got a Bergara Premier HMR in .308. First factory gun I've had in a long time. I absolutely love it. They did a nice job putting this together. Pulled it apart to inspect and clean it. Didn't find any excess flashing or burrs anywhere. Great finish. Like the tool free bolt assembly. I set the TT Primary trigger to 2.5 pounds and it is very consistent. Safety is handy and smooth. The action is indeed buttery smooth as lots of folks have mentioned. In process of breaking it in now. I'll report back when I start loading for it. Hope you find what you are looking for. Stay safe and have fun.
I have become a Bergara fan too. Let us know how it shoots for you. I always try a varied range of bullet weights with a new rifle. Usually a rifle will express a preference for a certain range of bullet weights. Mine likes 165-190 and maybe heavier when I get a chance to test more, but not so much with 150.

I bought a refurbished Redfield wide field off the classifieds here a few months ago. I don't have anything special planned for it but I'll find a older classic rifle for it eventually. Does butler creek or someone else still make the flip ups for them?
Is the objective lens the round or squared off? I actually think I have some of the squared off ones at home that fit a 2-7x Redfield. I don't believe they are in production anymore I want to say it's #11 but don't quote me on that. Did you get a 2-7x or the 3-9x?

Oh yeah, forgot my Weatherby's as a solid go to, especially in mag/weird calibers and the Ruger 77 M II is a solid bang for your buck. My wife has a Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08 and she really slayed the plains game in Affrica with one shot DRT kills. I have shot a number of mountain light weight savage 110, with the proof carbon research barrel and carbon stocks, and I don't know what all the negative remarks are about, they look sharp, well-built and the three I've shot really shot lights out.
They shoot well when they shoot. I shot 3 newer 110 Storms (2 in 308, 1 in 6.5 Creed), all had issues with feeding from the factory magazines and one I had an AICS conversion done on that still had feeding issues. There was a ton of slop in the bolt and it felt like the bolt was dragging. I did not have good experiences with the newer savages but maybe I just got some lemons and the issues were resolved with the latest models?

Is the objective lens the round or squared off? I actually think I have some of the squared off ones at home that fit a 2-7x Redfield. I don't believe they are in production anymore I want to say it's #11 but don't quote me on that. Did you get a 2-7x or the 3-9x?
After refreshing my memory by pulling it out of the safe and looking at it. It has the rectangular ocular lens and round objective lens and is a 3-9. Glad that I looked because it actually has the flip up on the ocular which I'm sure would be the pia one to find.
This scope was refurbished by Iron Site and looks good. Now I just need to find a older rifle to pair it with!

After refreshing my memory by pulling it out of the safe and looking at it. It has the rectangular ocular lens and round objective lens and is a 3-9. Glad that I looked because it actually has the flip up on the ocular which I'm sure would be the pia one to find.
This scope was refurbished by Iron Site and looks good. Now I just need to find a older rifle to pair it with!
I did the same exact thing….the eyepiece is a #12 on that model for Butler Creek, I was able to find 1 at a store in Canada and ordered. Let me see what I have still at home tonight. The objective lens however I can't remember what that model takes….butler creek has the chart you can print out to measure or has a PDF you can use to get the micrometer measurements for each of their caps. Their multiflex can fit the weird models if they are not making a particular model # anymore since they are generally good for fitting 2 models, for example if you have a #12 you need, the multiflex is designed to fit either an 11-12 or 12-13. EBay is another option.

😂 that a-hole is selling the pair for 70 bucks!

I think it's number 21, I just checked my MidwayUSA orders and I am pretty confident it's 21. I have 2 of the 11's for the rectangular objective lens caps that I don't have scopes for.

I just wish there were more controlled round feed rifles. I have yet to find actions even in very expensive rifles as nice as the Mauser dad and I built 45 years ago. My featherweight pre64 model 70 is a close second. I ordered a Cooper a few years ago very good looking and accurate, but I had several feeding and functioning issues with it after 3 times back to the factory it is now reliable. There is no fix for the poor magazine design.

I probably should have spent the money for a Dakota but hindsight is 20/20. If I buy another rifle, it will probably be a 300PRC I just haven't seen anything that I want in that caliber yet.

The things that I see manufacturers do never ceases to amaze me. Kimber spends a fortune on advertising and then loses customers with poor quality control and totally awful customer service. It is generally well recognized that it costs 4 times as much to acquire new customers than it does to keep existing ones.