New Rifles: The Good, the bad, the ugly

Interested in the new Bergara's, specifically the Premier series Canyon in 65 PRC. Fluted steel barrel with an AG carbon stock. anyone have experience with this new model?

canyonmobile.png

BPR26-65PRC$2,525.006.5 PRC6.2 lbs42"20"

From where?
We have a Rancher store called Murdock's. I was just browsing and they had a sale and I compared a Browning, Bergara and the Mesa in 300 WM. I was leaning towards a Bergara Wilderness,(stock fit me better action seemed smoother) then the guys told me that Christiansen Arms had a $350.00 rebate on the Mesa rifle I was looking at, it was the 2nd to last day to get the rebate. Even though the action was a little stiff I decided to buy it. Have a Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5 x 22 x 50 on it with a Spuhr mount.

Those Howas are good looking rifles. I'd like to get me hands on one but they seem to be hard to find around here.
I have sent you a massage I think? I have a Howa in 22-250 , has 15 rounds throw it 1.5-1.7 Trigger 4x16x44 Sig. Shoot Great. Just to heavy for me. I'm 72 and been hunting with a Tikka light.

I have sent you a massage I think? I have a Howa in 22-250 , has 15 rounds throw it 1.5-1.7 Trigger 4x16x44 Sig. Shoot Great. Just to heavy for me. I'm 72 and been hunting with a Tikka light.
I appreciate the offer, I'm not sure I'm really in the market right now though. I didn't get your pm.

I ordered this a year ago and still haven't received it. Am looking forward to it arriving! .17 WSM and friendly for we lefties. Savage A17 Sporter.

Attachments

• 1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    1561650765190614711 Savage A17.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 56
Curious to see what new rifle offerings people are excited about, ones that people are scratching their heads over and ones that being are just plain repulsed by. I'll start the ball rolling with some of my opinions, polite disagreements are encouraged, emphasis on polite.

The good: I think Kimber is onto something with their open range models. They look to be well thought out and nicely spec'd. don't own any Kimbers but these looked interesting to me. Browning continues to impress me with their X-Bolt offerings, it seems like they have a model that would fit the bill for every hunter even though I think it's weird that they run a 1-12 twist on their 308 Win barrels. Ruger I think has nailed the new Marlin 1895's, really excited for the 336's.

The bad: I can't for the life of me understand what Savage was thinking with the impulse. It seems like a waste of time, effort and money. I applaud them for trying something new and thinking outside the box but I can't see that selling or where they thought there would even be a demand for that rifle. I was disappointed to see Weatherby stop offering the vanguard/mk5 in stainless. I like to overkill my rifles and cerakote my stainless steel rifles, I like the idea of a more corrosion resistant bore. Generally I love the Ruger M77 Hawkeyes but the hunter model with the 20 MOA rail on a walnut stock with a stainless action is just a real head scratcher to me. It's like a baseball player going to his game in shoulder pads with basketball shoes on.

The ugly: anything wearing that NRA over watch pattern or the Ruger Go Wild Pattern. I remember it from a few years ago and hope it died.

Episode IV: a new Hope- would love to see the TC Icon come back, that think was ahead of its time.
I can agree with your points. Considering Savage rifles, yeah, ugly, somewhat rough, and some other valid complaints but I have two that are great rifles after some of my work on them.
I have another Savage ordered and hope it doesn't require after-market work.
My Savage rifles are .17s, a tricked out 93 HMR, a homie improved BMAG .17 WSM, and hopefully, the ordered A17 .17 WSM Sporter arrives soon. I absolutely will not part with my Savage rifles.

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 384529_297158673657022_512888680_n (1).jpg
    384529_297158673657022_512888680_n (1).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I can agree with your points. Considering Savage rifles, yeah, ugly, somewhat rough, and some other valid complaints but I have two that are great rifles after some of my work on them.
I have another Savage ordered and hope it doesn't require after-market work.
My Savage rifles are .17s, a tricked out 93 HMR, a homie improved BMAG .17 WSM, and hopefully, the ordered A17 .17 WSM Sporter arrives soon. I absolutely will not part with my Savage rifles.
I actually have a 93 in 22 mag that is an awesome gun and an old 99 that is my favorite gun! It's just the newer ones….don't know what's going on with their QC lately and their R&D but I think there have been some issues that started when they were under Vista and some growing pains when they went independent.

The old school Sako will not disappoint…L641,AVs AIIIs <1/2 moa consistently with minimal load development…old world quality

Pre-Obama Coopers.. I own 3 ….all solid 1/4 moa with benchrest level brass sorting and minimal load development…top tier quality,
The Cooper Obama fiasco knocked the shine off this brand forever..

Savage 110, 111, 112….excellent guns…3/8" groups after untold hours of polishing, trigger and stock replacement…I needed to spend as much on aftermarket solutions as I did on the original gun…but they can be made to shoot.

Ugly…problem children…KIMBER, RUGER 77, Savage rimfire and the occasional Monday morning Remington…Winchesters are 60/40 odds of getting either a mediocre one or a really bad one.

Last edited:
My list of great out of the box rifles. In descending price. I think.

Gunwerks, Cooper, Weatherby, Browning, Tikka, Ruger American.

Depending on the look, fit and finish, and budget, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

I know there is some other out of the box rifles that are also pretty good. Two others that come to mind, Seekins, and Nosler. I don't have much experience with them though.
Gunwerks is just ridiculously expensive… for custom GA precision is well respected

I recently changed from RH to LH (I am naturally left handed). I have always been left eye dominant but shot just fine for F-class and Hunting right eye and it felt more comfortable.
I made the change when I got my new custom F-class in 284Shehane and decided to give LH a go as it had a 3 way adjustable stock.
Really enjoyed the change and became instinctive pretty quick so started selling my RH setups and purchasing LH.
I had about 10 Christensens (all shot amazing btw) and a few other brands (Barrett Fieldcraft, Weatherby etc).
The change meant caliber options were limited.
I went with the new CA FFT in 7-08 (shot this years buck with at home here in MT), Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Carbon in 257wby, Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in 6.5-300wby, and the Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 338RPM.
I am loving all of them, the 338RPM is my new favorite I think and will be getting a second in the Ti for a guide rifle (will have a 1-6 on it instead of the 3-18). I was going to do a 280ai but I'm really liking the 338RPM's short light package with near 338win mag capabilities with an 18" barrel.
I did keep my 6.5-284Norma Ridgeline and 340wby MKV Accumark in RH.

Interested in the new Bergara's, specifically the Premier series Canyon in 65 PRC. Fluted steel barrel with an AG carbon stock. anyone have experience with this new model?

canyonmobile.png

BPR26-65PRC$2,525.006.5 PRC6.2 lbs42"20"
Just a few weeks ago I saw a post from Bergara on their Facebook page (someone asked about production schedule). They'll be producing these in 2023. I've been following these for awhile. I can find articles about these from way back in January of 2022. It's been a slow rollout. I kind of want one in 375 H&H.

Recent Posts