new rifle

angus-5024

Money is a big issue. so without accessories, just gun, i need to go as cheap as possible. only interested in the bigger stuff (ie. 300rum, 338edge).
This rifle is going to replace my .340wby Mk VI, it is my only rifle! I need it as versitile as possible, but long range is the goal.
so heres my thoughts on several builds/modified stock rifles. stock must be synthetic. action must be stainless. must be at least a .300ultra, .338 edge preferred.

rem senduro 300ultra mag
DE brake
DE cheek peice
this build makes the most sense to me because everything is good quality, but it is a little heavy for alpine or still hunting. plus I dont rely like the palm swell on the stock.

rem XCR LRT
change bolt face to 300rum
chang out the magazine to accomidate
DE Brake
DE cheekpeice
alot of work for the rum but i really like the stock and weight

find a cheap savage action w/ accutrigger or order a blank action
change bolt face and follower to 300rum
shilen pre-chambered barrel 28" .338 edge (not sure if they offer that cal.)
HS stock

keep the .340 and work with what i got (new stock from somwhere, the stock one is crap!)

see my problem is that I find the senduro/target style rifles to heavy, but the sporter styles way to light. I liked the the XCR LRT quite a bit, but wrong calibers. Alot of confussion but one gun has gotta do it all! Another problem is that I live in Canada where everything to do with firearms is another 35%-50% extra.

GIVE ME SOME INPUT GUYS!

I would just restock the MK-V with a better fiberglass model , the 340 can get a 250 gr bullet to 2800fps out of a 26" barrel with very little trouble , I think that a 225 gr Accubond run out at 2900ish FPS with a BC of .550 would be more than animal in North America could stand out to 700-800yds.

OR do you no longer have the MK-V??

Put the weatherby in the manners stock of your choice and add a muzzle brake from Shawn or Nate. Bed the action, tune the trigger, bit of load work.

If ya still don't like 'er, rebarrel.

thanks guys, I have kinda thougth of doing that but the issue is that when I take the rifle into extreme weather (river boat hunting in Prince George as an example) the blueing just doesnt hold up. I had the barrel and action military coated but not the bolt. thats the only issue. I would like to go to stainless if at all possible, but i think the weatherby is a better shooter than anything else i can afford (with hand loads it can usually hold 3/4 at 100). should i just bear with having to oil the crap out of the rifle and save?
rather than getting a new stock I would just epoxy arrow shafts into the forend. it has been bedded and the trigger is pretty decent.
I also dont like the monte carlo stock.

Man the finish is an easy fix , send it out to get coated , DuraKota , KG Gunkote , Ceracoat , Robar's NP3 , all that stuff will make the metal impervious to the elements

You gonna have a hard to finding a rifle with a SS bolt , their are some that braze a CM bolt head to a SS bolt body but a fully SS bolt is not gonna happen for a cheap cost as the SS is not as strong as CM , you might get one made from 17-4 but it aint gonna be cheap

angus

I live in southern B.C. and just received my 338 edge from shawn, a couple of months ago. The quality is great, and accuracy is also great i would recommend shawns work to anyone, his brakes also work well, if u keep your gun and decide go that route..

Put the weatherby in the manners stock of your choice and add a muzzle brake from Shawn or Nate. Bed the action, tune the trigger, bit of load work.

If ya still don't like 'er, rebarrel.

Re-stocking a Mark V for a heavy barrel contour (i.e. heavier than #4)..the choices are a bit limited. McMillan and Bell Carlson's barrel channels will only support a #4 or smaller for their sporter style stock. McMillian will inlet a A-5 for #4 barrel channel or larger w/Mark V action, but it'll be 5 month wait:(

Weatherby will sell you the Threat Response Custom Stock that Bell Carlson makes for them for $850! (ouch!), but it again is inletted for a #4 barrel channel contour.

Lone Wolf or MPI can make you a custom synthetic sporter or tactical style stock.

When I spoke with Manners, they didn't inlet for the Mark V action :(

Joel Russo makes some works of art if you can consider a laminate wood stock.

Have you seen Broz's Mark V Lapua?
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-new-long-range-338-lapua-32238/

Drop him a PM, and he'll tell you what his stick can do for long range shooting.

JE Custom is another very knowledgeable Weatherby guy, give him a PM with your questions regarding what you want, and where you can go with the Mark V action.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/members/j-e-custom/

Most factory Senderos shoot accurate as well right out of the box. I had one that shot sub 1" center to center groups at 100 yds with factory ammo, and down to .5" after handloading.

Hope that helped. Good luck!

Something to consider:
Lots of good suggestions about what to do to the outside of the rifle, but remember the bore is still bare, naked, unprotected steel...........and, even stainless (so called) will rust if totally neglected (ask me how I know!!).

Cheers,
Jim

How about just re barreling the MK 5 with a stainless barrel in 338 RUM !!

You can go with the same contour or the next larger size with very little
stock work .

No bolt face or any other work is nessary to use the RUM in the 340 MK 5

Just another though
J E CUSTOM

I know the coatings are tuff, but are they thin enough to go inside the action and on the bolt? if they are then I will rebarrel in a .338 edge (SS) and have the whole thing coated. and probably just inlett into a Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock (I am poor remember) and put a DE cheeckpeice on it. Does that sound like a good first rig out to 650yrds that works as a walk in the bush gun too?
I dont know what contour though. probably go as big as the carbelite wil let me. what do you think of a 28" tube + brake? to long? perfect?
will my normal bases/rings be fine for that kind of distance?

hello 5024! I thought u might be interested in this: HS Precision Sporter Stock for r.h Mark V Weatherby,stock has been bedded,never been hunted&like new!asking 250.00. Dskiper

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.