New Remington 700's

I was going to purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless in .243 as it has the 1:8 twist. I passed on it and bought a CZ 457. I needed a good .22 lr over another CF rifle. I'll probably buy one later this year, but I may hold out for a CDL.

I was going to purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless in .243 as it has the 1:8 twist. I passed on it and bought a CZ 457. I needed a good .22 lr over another CF rifle. I'll probably buy one later this year, but I may hold out for a CDL.
It would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run. I have no complaints about mine now but if you have to change the trigger and the stock you can probably get an upgraded version for about the same or less money with what you want to start with. I mainly wanted to see if they were worth even looking at any more.
So many of them have started using plastic trigger guards, horrendous triggers and the barrels feel like a concrete culvert when you try to run a patch through but not the new 700. My barrel slicked up after about 25 rounds and I get hardly any fouling at all. I'm still satisfied with mine.

It would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run. I have no complaints about mine now but if you have to change the trigger and the stock you can probably get an upgraded version for about the same or less money with what you want to start with. I mainly wanted to see if they were worth even looking at any more.
So many of them have started using plastic trigger guards, horrendous triggers and the barrels feel like a concrete culvert when you try to run a patch through but not the new 700. My barrel slicked up after about 25 rounds and I get hardly any fouling at all. I'm still satisfied with mine.
Did you buy the CDL or another model? I've looked at a few and the BDL, CDL, and SPS stainless all had smooth both throws in the stores. The ADL and regular SPS, very gritty to me.

I bought the SPS Stainless.The first thing I checked was the bolt.It was smooth throw through the action.
Several years ago I was very disappointed with a new Remington as it too had a gritty bolt throw.
They fixed that problem with all new machines and seems like they are making good rifles now.

I bought the SPS Stainless.The first thing I checked was the bolt.It was smooth throw through the action.
Several years ago I was very disappointed with a new Remington as it too had a gritty bolt throw.
They fixed that problem with all new machines and seems like they are making good rifles now.
I looked mine over real close. They use the same finish on the bolt head as the use on the exterior finish of the rifle. The bolt lugs have the same rough finish on them but both are making contact and the base of the brass makes full contact with the bolt head when closing the bolt on a case. I think with a little use it will slick up some and the machining and alignment seems to be good. I haven't disassembled one to put gauges on it but from what I can tell it seems to be pretty square.
I've killed 3 deer with mine this year and that's what I bought it for. It shoots really good groups. I think they are a better value than a lot of the other budget friendly options. I own or have owned a lot of the other brands and I keep coming back to the 700's. If Winchester offered a model 70 in this price range, I would probably bite on it. But they don't.

Last edited:
This is good advice in IMO. I don't like the stock. The accuracy is great but I will probably spend the money to replace the stock. If you buy the CDL version you are getting a good wood stock that you can bed the action into and have a great hunting setup. If you don't like the wood stocks then buying the SPS and purchasing an aftermarket stock is the other option.

Made it through 13 pages looking for an answer to my question but I'm just going to post it and hope it's not repetitive. Has anyone heard or seen anything on the 700P. On remingtons site it says" Elite Hunter Curved Trigger – Model 700 Police". Wondering if they will be updated and if it opens the door for the LTR making a return as well as some other models. I do respect Remington having a smaller line up of rifles that focus on quality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113_082841_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113_082841_Chrome.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 23
Finally got my 700 Long Range 300 Winchester Magnum together and ready to hit the range on Monday. The only other modification I might opt for is a Badger Ordnance bolt knob but that can wait for now. The bottom metal is Badger Ordnance M5 and they also did the inletting on the stock. I also replaced the "Un-adjustable" Timney trigger with a Timney 510. I set it at just a hair under 2.5 lbs. Only issue I had was the front action screw was about one thread too long and hitting the bolt. I used a very thin washer between the bottom metal and the stock and it worked perfect.
I plan to go and zero it Monday. The range only goes out to 200 yards but there's a 1000 yard range in Spencer, TN that I'm going to try and visit very soon.
DSCN3587.JPG

DSCN3583.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got my 700 Long Range 300 Winchester Magnum together and ready to hit the range on Monday. The only other modification I might opt for is a Badger Ordnance bolt knob but that can wait for now. The bottom metal is Badger Ordnance M5 and they also did the inletting on the stock. Only issue I had was the front action screw was about one thread too long and hitting the bolt. I used a very thin washer between the bottom metal and the stock and it worked perfect.
I plan to go and zero it Monday. The range only goes out to 200 yards but there's a 1000 yard range in Spencer, TN that I'm going to try and visit very soon.
View attachment 540042

View attachment 540043
That's a beauty!I hope it shoots as good as it look's.Be sure to give a report.

Saw one at a gun show last week. One thing stuck out to me was the bolt knob has what I'd call a 'pressed' checkering look. Seemed cheap looking to me compared to the old Remington's.