New old .25 cal wildcat

Nothing like a shiny Ruger #1 with lots of figure!!!

What do you form brass from for the .25 Souper? .243, .260, 7-08, or .308?
Sorry Dakota, just seen this post.

We form the Souper from 308 Lapua. But it can be formed from from any 308 based case. The last one was built on a Mod 70 with a 1:9 twist Bartlein Barrel, amazing with 100 gr TTSX.

The Souper is not going to match up with the big quarter bores with heavy bullets, but for a white tail rig, pretty tough to beat.

Here is a short write up about the Souper: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.25-08+.25+Souper.html

The number one I purchased earlier this year in 25 Krag AI has not performed to my expectations. Heading to the range tomorrow for one last try. I have ran from 75 gr to 100 gr pills with the best being just over 1". I'm not ready to give up on it yet, but one more trip to the range without success, she will be turned into a 25 Souper with a 9 twist McGowen octagon barrel to match my 338 Gibbs No1.

Interesting, the case capacity for both the Roberts AI and Krag AI is exactly 62 grs of water. There is not alot of loading data for the Krag AI, so I have been using starting loads for the Rob AI.

Attachments

• Rob AI vs Krag AI.jpg
    Rob AI vs Krag AI.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 30

We form the Souper from 308 Lapua. But it can be formed from from any 308 based case. The last one was built on a Mod 70 with a 1:9 twist Bartlein Barrel, amazing with 100 gr TTSX.

The Souper is not going to match up with the big quarter bores with heavy bullets, but for a white tail rig, pretty tough to beat.

Here is a short write up about the Souper: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.25-08+.25+Souper.html

The number one I purchased earlier this year in 25 Krag AI has not performed to my expectations. Heading to the range tomorrow for one last try. I have ran from 75 gr to 100 gr pills with the best being just over 1". I'm not ready to give up on it yet, but one more trip to the range without success, she will be turned into a 25 Souper with a 9 twist McGowen octagon barrel to match my 338 Gibbs No1.

Interesting, the case capacity for both the Roberts AI and Krag AI is exactly 62 grs of water. There is not alot of loading data for the Krag AI, so I have been using starting loads for the Rob AI.
You never know to what level of precision an unknown smith puts into a chamber and crown job like that if you just happened up on it and didn't commission the building. Ruger #1s are historically hit or miss anyway, but a custom rebarrel should ensure accuracy.

I built a standard Roberts on a Savage action with a shorter McGowen 1:9 that had issues until I changed the stock a second time. The first Boyd's was a 2nd I got for cheap and put the action in a bind. After that was corrected, it took a minimal amount of load work to achieve 1/2 MOA. No fault of the McGowen pre-fit. That thing is lapped as well or better than any Bartlein I've ever had. I had to use my very best components nd bring my A-skill set to the loading bench to get there, though. The shorter barrel cost me some speed. With Nosler +P brass, H4831, Fed210GM primers, and 115 grain Ballistic Tips, I got to about 2735 to achieve the 1/2". That's fine for a short - intermediate range whitetail gun, if not awe-inspiring. Top speed for any load was about 2990 avg with StaBall. The .25 Creedmoor would indeed be a more efficient cartridge. I think I would do well to drop down in weight and test the waters with a Barnes 101gr LRX.

You never know to what level of precision an unknown smith puts into a chamber and crown job like that if you just happened up on it and didn't commission the building. Ruger #1s are historically hit or miss anyway, but a custom rebarrel should ensure accuracy.

I built a standard Roberts on a Savage action with a shorter McGowen 1:9 that had issues until I changed the stock a second time. The first Boyd's was a 2nd I got for cheap and put the action in a bind. After that was corrected, it took a minimal amount of load work to achieve 1/2 MOA. No fault of the McGowen pre-fit. That thing is lapped as well or better than any Bartlein I've ever had. I had to use my very best components nd bring my A-skill set to the loading bench to get there, though. The shorter barrel cost me some speed. With Nosler +P brass, H4831, Fed210GM primers, and 115 grain Ballistic Tips, I got to about 2735 to achieve the 1/2". That's fine for a short - intermediate range whitetail gun, if not awe-inspiring. Top speed for any load was about 2990 avg with StaBall. The .25 Creedmoor would indeed be a more efficient cartridge. I think I would do well to drop down in weight and test the waters with a Barnes 101gr LRX.
A No1 will never rival good Bolt gun, but I still love them. Biggest problem with a No1 is the long lock time. A very important factor in accuracy.

Most shooters discount the importance of a good well fitted stock. Like you, I've taken many rifles that the owner gave up on , with a simple bedding job and trigger work turned it into a good shooter.

Love your closing.