Old dog new tricks

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SAKO06, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SAKO06

SAKO06 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Have a new barrel and McMillan A3 sporter stock coming for my sako A5 30-06 and was asked why I didn't upgrade the caliber to 308 Norma Mag. The rest of the story is that I am increasing barrel length/weight for more consistent long range shooting at wolves which are plaguing our area right now - 500 yards - 1200 yards. Can this change be made and is it practical?
  2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    The 308NM is a great round. Just make sure you have adequate magazine length to accommodate it.

You will probably have to change bolts as well, but other than that and the magazine length it should be doable.

You can research both online or just ask your gunsmith.
  3. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Do an akley improved 06. Use the 185 or 190 Berger. That will put the dogs down. Not sure, but you may be able to do the Sherman. I think it is based off the 06 case. Sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    If you want to shoot to 1200 yds I would recommend at least a 300 WM and maybe a 300 Dakota or 30/375 Ruger or even a RUM and you should be shooting at least 215 hybrid, maybe a 230.

I don't know much about the A5 action, but based on the experience I've had with my M85 finnlight and it's poorly designed recoil lug system, I would not build a large cartridge mag on one. Maybe the A5 is different? Also would not recommend a Finnlight sporter type barrel for LR work.

Good luck with the build.