Cheep Tricks

Tnwhip

I like making things that don't cost much. Like anti cant levels. Some of them are way over priced. Heck some of them are fancy that fold out of the way. I like mine on top just fine. I went to harbor freight and bought some cheep topedo levels $1.65 and took the bubbles out then I took some cheep rings $10 bucks and squared and clamped them up in my drill press vice and drill them to take the bubbles.Then I cut the clamps off at the top of the hole for the bubble. A little glue on the bubbles and I have 2 anti cant levels for $11.65.
I also got to thinking about making ballistic turrets. My old eyes can't see the small numbers exspecially in low light. I tried white tape and that didn't work very well. I had some plastic pvc pipe. I cut off a ring of it and heated it with a heat gun and when it got flexiable I pushed it over the turret. while it was cooling I kept taking it on and off till it cooled. That way it would not get stuck on too tight where it would be hard to take off. I then took a fine felt pin and marked the yardage. If I shoot different bullets or loads I just make extra rings. My Vortex Viper takes 1" pipe an my Weaver scope took a 3/4" pipe. I mark my turrets in yardage and all I have to do is range it and dial. I may be cheep but I just saved $100.

Attachments

• 2014-10-06 21.31.30.jpg
    2014-10-06 21.31.30.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 2014-10-06 21.32.19.jpg
    2014-10-06 21.32.19.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 64
I like making things that don't cost much. Like anti cant levels. Some of them are way over priced. Heck some of them are fancy that fold out of the way. I like mine on top just fine. I went to harbor freight and bought some cheep topedo levels $1.65 and took the bubbles out then I took some cheep rings $10 bucks and squared and clamped them up in my drill press vice and drill them to take the bubbles.Then I cut the clamps off at the top of the hole for the bubble. A little glue on the bubbles and I have 2 anti cant levels for $11.65.

Awesome idea!!!! Could you explain a little more about this? I can't see how the scope base is oriented to accept the leveling bubble vials...

I like the idea a lot and will attempt it myself!

I also got to thinking about making ballistic turrets. My old eyes can't see the small numbers exspecially in low light. I tried white tape and that didn't work very well. I had some plastic pvc pipe. I cut off a ring of it and heated it with a heat gun and when it got flexiable I pushed it over the turret. while it was cooling I kept taking it on and off till it cooled. That way it would not get stuck on too tight where it would be hard to take off. I then took a fine felt pin and marked the yardage. If I shoot different bullets or loads I just make extra rings. My Vortex Viper takes 1" pipe an my Weaver scope took a 3/4" pipe. I mark my turrets in yardage and all I have to do is range it and dial. I may be cheep but I just saved $100.

Great idea!!! Sorta like a drop-card on your scope instead of written/taped to the stock

Awesome idea!!!! Could you explain a little more about this? I can't see how the scope base is oriented to accept the leveling bubble vials...

I like the idea a lot and will attempt it myself!

Great idea!!! Sorta like a drop-card on your scope instead of written/taped to the stock

I take the ring and square it up in my vice. I like the see through rings, they are good for something. Then drill a 5/16 hole for the bubble. Then cut off the ring clamp part. Smoothe it up and spray it with flat black and 5 min. Epoxie the bubble in the hole. That is all there is to it.

Here is my new Viper on my 308 I need to get out and mark my drops on the ring for it. Another thing. I know they make a deal that clamps around the zoom ring so you can use your thumb to zoom in and out. Well a heavy black wire tie will work in a pinch. You can see it on mine.

Tnwhip,

Yur my kinda guy!!!

I've done all those things. I call 'em innovations :D

The levels have lasted for years.

Keep up the good work.

There's a ton of other stuff that needs innovated.

I take the ring and square it up in my vice. I like the see through rings, they are good for something. Then drill a 5/16 hole for the bubble. Then cut off the ring clamp part. Smoothe it up and spray it with flat black and 5 min. Epoxie the bubble in the hole. That is all there is to it.

Ahhhh - now I've got it! Thanks so much for posting this image - it clarifies the whole thing.

Excellent work! I love the bubble levels. I have been looking at them for a while but just couldn't justify that much money right now. This I can do. I'll make me a pair.

Love the turrets too. I myself use UPS labels that I get blank from work. I take a sheet of printer paper and use my calipers to measure the height of the turret. Then cut a strip of printer paper that size. Wrap it around turret and trim to length so the ends butt together. Small piece of tape to hold it in place and I mark the MOA marks on the paper. Remove paper from turret and lay it out on the UPS label. Cut label to same size and transfer MOA marks. Then I use my ballistic program to mark yardages on the label. I cover it with a piece of scotch tape. That keeps it from smudging and adds a bit of weatherproofing. Then simply peel and stick. Takes all of 10 minutes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 55
Last pic was my 243 coyote gun and a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40. This pic is 6.5-284 and Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44PA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts