New old .25 cal wildcat

.300 Dakota

So with the assistance of the folks at Manson Precision today, I re-invented the wheel. Many would argue that the .257 Weatherby is a tack driver and suitable for running the 133 grain Berger Elite hunting bullet given the appropriate twist. In my experience, it has been quite finicky, due to the excessive freebore, not allowing one to reach the lands, and the proposition of rolling the dice in hopes that what was produced would love the long Berger offering wasn't appealing. Eager to make a high-performance round with low recoil and having another half dozen projects currently running, I gave quite a bit of thought to a design. I could not afford at the time of this writing to buy another aftermarket action with all the trimmings and pay to have the Gunsmith Fairy whack the pile with his golden hammer and turn it into a long range tack-driver. I prefer to neck up, not down. The count of the number of specialty dies/tools and hours needed for the latter is high if you want a nice, straight case to load. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything suitable with a magnum case head meant for a long action to neck up and remain under 30 caliber. (I have a fully blue printed and sleeved Remington 700 action available with all the internals replaced, oversized and ground lug and TriggerTeck Special 2-stage trigger set at 8 and 12oz.) To complicate matters, the .277 and .257 cal bores are only available in 1:10 twist, if at all, without special ordering. I was all set to give in to the necking down process and decrease a .308 Norma Mag to 7mm. It is shorter than the .300 Win case, which would give better magazine well clearance with the longer 195gr EOLs. I have 120 Norma cases onhand, and I figured I better get more. They were available a year ago, but no longer. No sense in building a wildcat that you may bever be able to get brass for ever! I have plenty of 6.5x300 Wby brass, but the case is too long and would need to be run in a longer aftermarket action. The 300 PRC was a strong contender for a wildcat. A 7/300 PRC wasn't a bad idea, and it's been done numerous times, so there might be some data. I kept that clicker issue running through my mind, though.

Finally I decided to look to see what was available as far as brass. I found a cache of .264 Win Mag, but realized necking up would be pointless unless I wanted to shoot only up to 150 grain bullets in a .27 bore. And besides, the neck is way too short on the 264 for anything larger and longer. Necking down however, was an intriguing proposition. The neck length is perfect for the quarterbore; better suited than for the .264, in fact. The 800lb gorilla in the room was the 257 Weatherby Magnum. It holds 80.4 grains of water and operates at 62, 500psi max avg. pressure with .378" of freebore. So much freebore, that the caryridge is notoriously finicky, and I personally have not been able to find a tack-driving load in a couple of iterations of the cartridge - admittedly neither being a Mark V. I considered the price difference of brass - I bought 50 264 cases for only about 25% more than I would have paid for 20 257 Wby cases. Also I thought about rapid cycling in a long cartridge with double radiused shoulder vs one with a 25-degree shoulder in a push feed action. It doesn't seem to bother the Mark Vs or the Howas so chambered, but 1) The original Weatherby action was a Mauser CRF type, if I'm not mistaken, produced in Germany (perhaps they have specially designed feed ramps that a 700 might not have?), and 2) My cartridge will have a much longer pointy bullet nose protruding out a good bit. This still may be a single feed proposition when all is said and done. The .264 holds 80.7 grains of water, but has little freebore by comparison.

So it was decided, and the moment was seized. A call to Manson Precision yielded the production of a reamer for the .250 MDC. The numerical bore diameter is used to help distinguish it from others in the quarterbore genre, as only the .250 Savage carries this designation, to my knowledge, while multiple cartridges use both .25 and .257. The M is the Roman Numeral translating from Latin to "mille," which is an adjective representing a quantity of 1000. This is the point in yards where the bullet will fall below the 1000 ft-lbs of energy threshold that has been recognized for years as the minimum level of energy needed to cleanly harvest deer. So it can be viewed as both max range for deer and minimum energy range. The DC stands for Deer Cartridge. I have a small series of DCs running currently. Others are based on short action, non-magnum rounds.

The 264 Win operates at a slightly higher max avg. pressure than the .257 Wby (64,000). Freebore of the new design is, you guessed it, 1/4 (.250"). This is both significantly less than the .257 Wby for better consistent accuracy, and significantly more than the .264 Win parent chamber to allow higher velocity at lower pressures.

I have ordered enough norma brass and Berger 133gr Elite Hunters (under $60/100 compared to larger caliber high BC bullets) to last, and will have the tooling by mid-June. A smith is lined up to switch barrels on my currently unused .338 Edge, and a 28" Brux barrel blank is on the way in 7.5 Twist and will finish at 27". I will swap the current HS Precision stock for an AG Composites. Many will cringe when I state the contour of the barrel is only #4, but I DETEST weight. That's why the 1/2 MOA Edge is being rebuilt. It will make the rifle more finicky, most likely, but I am confident, since I've never had a Brux barrel fail to produce at least 1/2" accuracy. It should be ready by August. I cannot argue that all one would need to to have an equally good round is resuce freebore on the available Weatherby offering by about 1/3, but I can argue the price of brass. Either way, new tooling and a new rifle would need to be built.

So with the assistance of the folks at Manson Precision today, I re-invented the wheel. Many would argue that the .257 Weatherby is a tack driver and suitable for running the 133 grain Berger Elite hunting bullet given the appropriate twist. In my experience, it has been quite finicky, due to the excessive freebore, not allowing one to reach the lands, and the proposition of rolling the dice in hopes that what was produced would love the long Berger offering wasn't appealing. Eager to make a high-performance round with low recoil and having another half dozen projects currently running, I gave quite a bit of thought to a design. I could not afford at the time of this writing to buy another aftermarket action with all the trimmings and pay to have the Gunsmith Fairy whack the pile with his golden hammer and turn it into a long range tack-driver. I prefer to neck up, not down. The count of the number of specialty dies/tools and hours needed for the latter is high if you want a nice, straight case to load. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything suitable with a magnum case head meant for a long action to neck up and remain under 30 caliber. (I have a fully blue printed and sleeved Remington 700 action available with all the internals replaced, oversized and ground lug and TriggerTeck Special 2-stage trigger set at 8 and 12oz.) To complicate matters, the .277 and .257 cal bores are only available in 1:10 twist, if at all, without special ordering. I was all set to give in to the necking down process and decrease a .308 Norma Mag to 7mm. It is shorter than the .300 Win case, which would give better magazine well clearance with the longer 195gr EOLs. I have 120 Norma cases onhand, and I figured I better get more. They were available a year ago, but no longer. No sense in building a wildcat that you may bever be able to get brass for ever! I have plenty of 6.5x300 Wby brass, but the case is too long and would need to be run in a longer aftermarket action. The 300 PRC was a strong contender for a wildcat. A 7/300 PRC wasn't a bad idea, and it's been done numerous times, so there might be some data. I kept that clicker issue running through my mind, though.

Finally I decided to look to see what was available as far as brass. I found a cache of .264 Win Mag, but realized necking up would be pointless unless I wanted to shoot only up to 150 grain bullets in a .27 bore. And besides, the neck is way too short on the 264 for anything larger and longer. Necking down however, was an intriguing proposition. The neck length is perfect for the quarterbore; better suited than for the .264, in fact. The 800lb gorilla in the room was the 257 Weatherby Magnum. It holds 80.4 grains of water and operates at 62, 500psi max avg. pressure with .378" of freebore. So much freebore, that the caryridge is notoriously finicky, and I personally have not been able to find a tack-driving load in a couple of iterations of the cartridge - admittedly neither being a Mark V. I considered the price difference of brass - I bought 50 264 cases for only about 25% more than I would have paid for 20 257 Wby cases. Also I thought about rapid cycling in a long cartridge with double radiused shoulder vs one with a 25-degree shoulder in a push feed action. It doesn't seem to bother the Mark Vs or the Howas so chambered, but 1) The original Weatherby action was a Mauser CRF type, if I'm not mistaken, produced in Germany (perhaps they have specially designed feed ramps that a 700 might not have?), and 2) My cartridge will have a much longer pointy bullet nose protruding out a good bit. This still may be a single feed proposition when all is said and done. The .264 holds 80.7 grains of water, but has little freebore by comparison.

So it was decided, and the moment was seized. A call to Manson Precision yielded the production of a reamer for the .250 MDC. The numerical bore diameter is used to help distinguish it from others in the quarterbore genre, as only the .250 Savage carries this designation, to my knowledge, while multiple cartridges use both .25 and .257. The M is the Roman Numeral translating from Latin to "mille," which is an adjective representing a quantity of 1000. This is the point in yards where the bullet will fall below the 1000 ft-lbs of energy threshold that has been recognized for years as the minimum level of energy needed to cleanly harvest deer. So it can be viewed as both max range for deer and minimum energy range. The DC stands for Deer Cartridge. I have a small series of DCs running currently. Others are based on short action, non-magnum rounds.

The 264 Win operates at a slightly higher max avg. pressure than the .257 Wby (64,000). Freebore of the new design is, you guessed it, 1/4 (.250"). This is both significantly less than the .257 Wby for better consistent accuracy, and significantly more than the .264 Win parent chamber to allow higher velocity at lower pressures.

I have ordered enough norma brass and Berger 133gr Elite Hunters (under $60/100 compared to larger caliber high BC bullets) to last, and will have the tooling by mid-June. A smith is lined up to switch barrels on my currently unused .338 Edge, and a 28" Brux barrel blank is on the way in 7.5 Twist and will finish at 27". I will swap the current HS Precision stock for an AG Composites. Many will cringe when I state the contour of the barrel is only #4, but I DETEST weight. That's why the 1/2 MOA Edge is being rebuilt. It will make the rifle more finicky, most likely, but I am confident, since I've never had a Brux barrel fail to produce at least 1/2" accuracy. It should be ready by August. I cannot argue that all one would need to to have an equally good round is resuce freebore on the available Weatherby offering by about 1/3, but I can argue the price of brass. Either way, new tooling and a new rifle would need to be built.
You do not owe anyone to justify your wildcat. I considered .25 wildcat a couple of years ago since U never had any. I stayed with the .257 WBY as my first .25 Cal and WBY cartridge. I have 1:7" 22" suppressed for the 131 BJ, and 133/135 Bergers but jumped into the 145 Black Hole instead. Good luck with your build.

.257 WBY Black Hole 145s.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea! I grew another mole by the time I aquired enough 7saum brass to do a 25 Saum,may stay 7saum,but sill want to build a hot 25.How is the Norma brass supply,
I built and shot a .25 SAUM based on the 7mm version. It would basically diplicate factory .257 Wby ballostics with 10 - 14 grains less powder and was superbly accurate! I was considering another using my 6.5 SAUM brass, but my 6.5 SAUM may be being finished using a different action (hold up was action availability). If you build one, you will love it. I just had to build something around this action I have. It shoots 1/2 MOA wearing the Edge chambered barrel, so I know the action is right.

I have just started a 25/280AI set up. Actions, barrel and reamer order. I have Peterson 280AI cases 500 count. Getting ready to order out more cases. That way I have a lot of cases.
I had considered "Shermanizing" a .25-06 case or necking down the .280AI that has factory brass. I detest fire forming/wasting components, and even considered just dropping to .27 caliber with the SAAMI cases. However, I remembered that this would require a long action, which cannot be found currently unless you buy a factory action or pick up an Origin and change the bolt head, since magnum is the only way I've found them coming. I was locked into the long action magnum, which couldn't be excessively long. I may end up running out of mag space with the factory box, but I do love the traditional BDL bottom metal! I've shot a .25-06 AI before, and it did add a considerable velocity increase to the standard version. I have a short-barreled Roberts now that I'm trying to get to shoot. I've had a custom 250 Savage and a couple 25-06s over the years, as well as a couple of 257 Wbys and one .25 WSSM. I have a customized .25 Creedmoor reamer that I've never used, but it is designed for a 10-twist short-throated variant. The one 25 SAUM wildcat was my favorite. Reducing bore size seems to mitigate recoil, all else being equal. I should be able to use starting .257 Wby loads as a safe beginning point. It will be a barrel burner extraordinaire!

I am just now getting my little 6.5GT project going with the help of a local smith friend. 3 jobs and taking care of an elderly parent preclude much in the way of discovery and range time.

Good luck with the project. I have had two 257 weatherby and I wouldn't call either one finicky to load. Maybe I have been lucky.

I do love the quarter bore so I will keep an eye on your progress.
Did you get to load either with the super long bullets (over 130 grains)? I was curious as to the powders used and velocities seen, if so. Probably more like me being unlucky. I've heard many a hunter rave about the outstanding accuracy of the 257 Wby. Everyone knows it was Roy Weatherby's favorite of the bunch. If the Bergers don't pan out, I'll try some of the monolithic Hammers and jump them a bit. Sure wish Nosler would invent a 130gr Ballistic Tip!🤣

My first barrel was a factory Vanguard 1:10 twist. I got it shooting under .75 MOA with 115gr Bergers with H1000. It was a $500 base Vanguard.

I am currently working on loads for the new 1:7 barrel on that 257 weatherby with 128gr hammer and 135gr Berger. Both are under .5" MOA. The picture is 3 shots each for the above bullets at 500 yards. The bergers was just a test load with no development. The hammers are a developed load. I have not checked velocity yet. I am planning to get a chrono soon. I will have to check the loads, but they are using RL26 or H1000. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Attachments

• 20221230_095300.jpg
    20221230_095300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
I had considered "Shermanizing" a .25-06 case or necking down the .280AI that has factory brass. I detest fire forming/wasting components, and even considered just dropping to .27 caliber with the SAAMI cases. However, I remembered that this would require a long action, which cannot be found currently unless you buy a factory action or pick up an Origin and change the bolt head, since magnum is the only way I've found them coming. I was locked into the long action magnum, which couldn't be excessively long. I may end up running out of mag space with the factory box, but I do love the traditional BDL bottom metal! I've shot a .25-06 AI before, and it did add a considerable velocity increase to the standard version. I have a short-barreled Roberts now that I'm trying to get to shoot. I've had a custom 250 Savage and a couple 25-06s over the years, as well as a couple of 257 Wbys and one .25 WSSM. I have a customized .25 Creedmoor reamer that I've never used, but it is designed for a 10-twist short-throated variant. The one 25 SAUM wildcat was my favorite. Reducing bore size seems to mitigate recoil, all else being equal. I should be able to use starting .257 Wby loads as a safe beginning point. It will be a barrel burner extraordinaire!

I am just now getting my little 6.5GT project going with the help of a local smith friend. 3 jobs and taking care of an elderly parent preclude much in the way of discovery and range time.
I am just finishing up a 6mm/280AI chamber rifle in a 700 rem action with a 7-1 twist barrel. Now starting a rifle in 25/280AI chamber. Both are 700 Rem actions. Any 25/05, 270, 7mm, 30/06 action will work. The short actions like 308 won't work. The other is I wouldn't build a rifle built on a short action to start with. With the length of the bullets now days, I see a problem with chambering the case. There was a written about not to long ago about short actions.
Rem is building action now. The other is going to pawnshop and looking for a 700 Rem. Stay with A,B, or C serial numbers. Above that the action were not so good. I like the Rem action do to the triggertec trigger I can get for the action. Otherwise I would use something else. I am not going to ever shot match so I don't need the top end actions.
I am going to have a third action with changable barrels for 6mm and 257 barrels to fireform my cases. I have a stock sitting around not being used. So I don't have to get another stock or botton plate for that.
I already have Redding bushing dies for sizing. The 6mm takes four steps to achieve the neck down from 7mm. I might be able to do it in 3 steps with 257. Not for sure. I ready have 4 Redding bushing dies in 280AI. That way I don't have to keep changing bushing. Just change dies with next step. On what cases I have formed, I was able to size to .002 under ID requirements for tension, without using a mandrel. Also I use a tight chamber in the neck area. So I cut all my neck for thickness. There a lot of talk about using mandrels to finish with for tension. I feel presently that I can set the tension with bushing and not need a mandrel. Part of the talk is putting the uneven neck to the outside of the case, so the bullet lines up better. My thinking is the neck is cut for thickness that uneveness has gone away. I will have to do a trail run on sizing my neck down a little tigher, and use a mandrel to expand the neck to create the neck tension. I might change a little and use a mandrel to start with to make sure the inside of the neck is even all the way around.
There a lot going on whether that's good or bad. I'll never know because my chamber is tighter.

I keep leaning towards a few of the more well known 25 caliber wildcats.
25-284, 25-350 Rem Mag, 25 Souper.
You will love the Souper, best of the ones you listed, IMHO. Easy to form brass and performs very well.

I have been looking for a No.1 to build a Souper on for awhile. But I just scored a Ruger No1 with custom barrel chambered in 25 Krag AI. Just picked up Monday, so first info to report. But reserch has me smiling. Its not going to be a Hot Rod like the Wby, but should run just short of a 25/06.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1676339336971.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676339336971.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 139
  • FB_IMG_1676339327284.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676339327284.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 139
  • david-webb-25-krag.pdf
    233.1 KB · Views: 95