New Mexico Draw Results are in

Not a thing and I put in for it all....
Thought this was fitting for all of those people griping and wanting to go to a point system because they were mad that they didn't draw.
We put in for everything too-even cow elk hunt. Not drawn again this year. What is worse, my 12 year old boy who worked real hard to successfully complete his hunter's safety course, wasn't drawn for anything and I put him in for all youth-only hunts across the board plus the elk-cow hunt. NM is starting to bite for resident hunters. I have been drawn once in 10 years. Wife has yet to be drawn.

Just a question or 2. Does it seem that outfitters and land owners get a disproportionate number of licenses compared to in state residents for big game tags in a lot of the western states. Are the various game and parks charging the out- fitters more then the residents (revenue driven?) or do the outfitters just give out cases of good whiskey? Full disclosure I do hunt Nebraska as a non resident land owner but I would be dammed if I would pay a outfitter just to get a non resident Wyoming or New Mexico antelope tag....

We put in for everything too-even cow elk hunt. Not drawn again this year. What is worse, my 12 year old boy who worked real hard to successfully complete his hunter's safety course, wasn't drawn for anything and I put him in for all youth-only hunts across the board plus the elk-cow hunt. NM is starting to bite for resident hunters. I have been drawn once in 10 years. Wife has yet to be drawn.
You do know that your son can get a youth encouragement cow elk hunt since he didn't draw anything right?

I am not sure. Have heard it both ways here in NM. I know the total price they (various outfitters) are quoting me is too much for this public servant to cough up, even for a lowly muley. I am sure they are worth what they are charging, for those that have the means. Outfitters always know where the largest bucks and bulls are, so I am told. If you are not familiar with the animal you draw and you get a ultra rare tag (like a desert bighorn or ibex), I believe that they are definitely worth it.

Many thanks!!
Otherwise look at page 81 and 82 of the hunting regulations book if you don't felel like calling or texting. I can explain it all to you though. My kid has done two of the hunts.
I am happy to to report that this morning we were successful in getting my son an elk permit in the NM youth encouragement hunt. What's even better is that it is in GMU #16-D! Thanks Korhil78 !! They sold out like hotcakes too. Unit 34 was instant sellout also.

Along the lines of this original thread, my NM PH told me last week that northern New Mexico anti-hunting, environmentalist groups were getting money from back east to apply for our tags and trash them if and when they were successful. He heard from his industry that it is happening across the west. Do not know if this is a thing or not and can't fathom how state could stop that if it is happening.

I guess they could require everyone to have a valid hunter's safety number from a state-accredited (any state) program in order to apply for a license. I know plenty of old timers that could use a refresher, so that might not be a bad thing. I took it a second time with my then 13 year old daughter a few years back and actually learned a few new tricks.

I am happy to to report that this morning we were successful in getting my son an elk permit in the NM youth encouragement hunt. What's even better is that it is in GMU #16-D! Thanks Korhil78 !! They sold out like hotcakes too. Unit 34 was instant sellout also.
Is yours the November hunt or the December hunt?