New LR shooter

Fowler

Greetings,
I am new to long range shooting and do not want to spend on a custom made rifle. I have looked at and am considering the following rifles in alphabetical order:

o Browning X-Bolt
o Kimber
o Sako, Vanguard
o Weatherby

Would any of you have knowledge of these rifles for accuracy at 400 - 600 yds?

Thank you.

Fowler

IMO, you've got your apples mixed with your oranges. They're all good rifles but you're mixing some pretty moderately priced hunting rifles with some pretty expensive high end stuff. Did you mean Weatherby "Vanguard"?
Any of the rifles you listed will easily handle the ranges you're interested in.

IMO, you've got your apples mixed with your oranges. They're all good rifles but you're mixing some pretty moderately priced hunting rifles with some pretty expensive high end stuff. Did you mean Weatherby "Vanguard"?
Any of the rifles you listed will easily handle the ranges you're interested in.

Agreed! SAKO's TRG line are absolutely awesome but way out of my price range.

Having said that, with no specific model, "my" choice would be ...

1. SAKO
2. Kimber
3. Browning X-Bolt
4. Weatherby Vanguard

Fowler, welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Ed

You should take a look at the ruger percision. If you don't mind the tactical look they are amazing for the price. I believe it is the best bang for the buck out right now. Many guys shooting 1000 yards with ease. Amazing for a $1200 rifle. Now put on a decent scope and have at it. I have one on order in 6.5 creed for my dad to use at longer ranges. If it's not your style any of the rifles mentioned will get you what you want with good ammo and scope.

are you shooting at jackrabbits? moose? sako 85 heavy barrel varmint is one of the better ones.

Fearnowind,
yes, thank you. I did mean the Weatherby Vanguard. The reasearch I have done on it indicates that the barrels are made by Howa in Japan former arms manuf. of Arisika(not sure of spelling).

Agreed! SAKO's TRG line are absolutely awesome but way out of my price range.

Having said that, with no specific model, "my" choice would be ...

1. SAKO
2. Kimber
3. Browning X-Bolt
4. Weatherby Vanguard

Fowler, welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Ed
Feenix.
Thank you for your reply. I like the Sako, it would be my first choice but not available in 6.5 Creedmore. I am seriously considering this caliber as it has less recoil than my 7mm Mag and if I do a lot of long range shooting, the 7mmMag us too punishing. Otherwise my favorite caliber.

You should take a look at the ruger percision. If you don't mind the tactical look they are amazing for the price. I believe it is the best bang for the buck out right now. Many guys shooting 1000 yards with ease. Amazing for a $1200 rifle. Now put on a decent scope and have at it. I have one on order in 6.5 creed for my dad to use at longer ranges. If it's not your style any of the rifles mentioned will get you what you want with good ammo and scope.
Snox801,

Thank you for your reply.

are you shooting at jackrabbits? moose? sako 85 heavy barrel varmint is one of the better ones.
roninflag,

thank you for your reply. I am interested in antelope and mule deer. Last year I went to Wyoming and did shoot an antelope, used the guides gun a 6.5 and shot it at 440 yds. Which is what hooked me, thus thinking about same caliber in a bolt, all my other rifles are levers - 300 Savage, Browing (BLR) - 308 & 7mm Mag. thus looking for good bolt action.

For antelope and mule deer I think that the 6.5 Creedmore is a good choice. But, to increase your options I would consider the 260 rem. Nearly every factory manufacturer makes a rifle in 260. More factory ammo options than the Creed. Recoil is basically the same. If you reload, or ever plan to, I think that you can push the 260 a little more than the Creed. This is just my opinion. Good luck with your search.

Feenix.
Thank you for your reply. I like the Sako, it would be my first choice but not available in 6.5 Creedmore. I am seriously considering this caliber as it has less recoil than my 7mm Mag and if I do a lot of long range shooting, the 7mmMag us too punishing. Otherwise my favorite caliber.

I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM and with the custom MB, the felt recoil is similar to that off a .243 ...

Attachments

• 2013-11-02_10-02-47_757.jpg
    2013-11-02_10-02-47_757.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 12
Remington 700 police and the new ruger precision are also worth looking at. The 700 police is an excellent rifle and a good platform to build off of later on

pburton,

Thank you for your reply. I did look at the balistics of the 260 Rem and 260 Rem. mag but I thought I believe the down range energy of the 6.5Crd was better, hence my choice. I also compared ballistics of the 6.5x284, much better but ammo is too expensive to do a lot of long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.