Optic for new shooter

You stated your max budget, now figure out the features to go along with it. Then pick the scope that has those features within your price range.

Now for an opinion, skip it if you don't want mine as it has little advice on a scope and goes against the grain:
Personally I may have told you to put a little money towards sending your Leupold in to have turrets put on it and spend the rest on taking a reputable long range class. A good shooting .270 is more than capable of 450-600 yards. Learn to shoot what you have and once your capabilities exceed the limitations of your equipment, you upgrade equipment. Also, If you do not have a good rangefinder I suggest you get one.
This is all dependent on your stated intent of increasing your range/confidence on deer on your property. If competition is gonna be your new venture then I may recant my statement...maybe. And unless your particular discipline of competition requires a .308, you didn't need it. Nothing wrong with a .308, we shoot them to 800 for weeks straight and well past that regularly. I would never, however, advise someone to spend money on anything to teach them to miss. You can do that with any rifle.😁
THIS!

Plus I would like to add that I commend you for not taking a shot that you weren't comfortable with...allot of guys would have anyway and possibly wounded the deer. Knowing that your neighbor killed it added salt to the wound but you did the right thing.

Equipment isn't as important as you seeing your deficiency and your desire to correct it.

GREAT JOB!

Rule of thumb you will pay as much for a scope as you did for the gun and if you can't see it ya can't shoot it but you don't need to spend
2-3 grand for a good scope but you will be around a grand or a little more can't go wrong with a Leupold I have a 8-32x56 Sightron on my .223 it shoots as good as you can expect at 600

THIS!

Plus I would like to add that I commend you for not taking a shot that you weren't comfortable with...allot of guys would have anyway and possibly wounded the deer. Knowing that your neighbor killed it added salt to the wound but you did the right thing.

Equipment isn't as important as you seeing your deficiency and your desire to correct it.

GREAT JOB!
I never want to have another trophy deer be outside of my comfort range. But at the same time it's not fair to the animal to shoot in the guts and make it suffer. So The only option left is get better myself and get better equipment.

The SHV seem to work well. I have several NXS and an actar and they are excellent scopes but might be a bit much for you as a new entry. The 4-14x56 SHV would be something to consider. While 10x is plenty to shoot along way, I would get a little more. 14x is my sweet spot

For SFP MOA optics, look into the Trijicon credo and tenmile lineups. I have a 2.5-15x42 and a 4-24. Really like the center dot reticle with 1moa holds. The new Zeiss V4s are also very nice and I really like the Zmoa t30 and t20 reticles. They add a dot matrix Christmas tree that doesn't obscure the target but is there when you need it.
Both have exposed zero stop turrets and aren't too heavy which makes them great dual purpose optics for hunting and target shooting. Just as well learn on the same scope/reticle you will use for hunting.

I'm not a SFP or MOA fan. I prefer FFP with Mils. But since you are inclined to a SFP this is my recommendation: Valdada 3-18 X 42 35 MM. New with steel rings cost $1695.00 They have a reconditioned one on sale for $1395.00 I purchased a reconditioned scope three years ago in 3-18 X50 35MM FFP. I shoot both 600 and 1000 yards with a 260 Remington. Glass is excellent and turrets a just great. I don't know why there aren't more Valdada fans out there, maybe because they are built like tanks and are heavy.

Jackson, since you're planning to take a long range shooting class, wait to buy your scope until after the class. Most classes furnish the rifle and scopes. This way you can compare SFP, FFP, different reticles, etc. for shooting long distances.
The class will also explain the advantages and disadvantages of different scope designs.

I'm not a SFP or MOA fan. I prefer FFP with Mils. But since you are inclined to a SFP this is my recommendation: Valdada 3-18 X 42 35 MM. New with steel rings cost $1695.00 They have a reconditioned one on sale for $1395.00 I purchased a reconditioned scope three years ago in 3-18 X50 35MM FFP. I shoot both 600 and 1000 yards with a 260 Remington. Glass is excellent and turrets a just great. I don't know why there aren't more Valdada fans out there, maybe because they are built like tanks and are heavy.
I know they had a bad run with some 3-18's a number of years back and that didn't help their standing in the US tactical/tacticool crowd. I had 3 go down in 3 trips to the range. Liked most everything about that scope and if it would have held up I would own several. The worst part was waiting over 6 months every time I had to send it in to get one back. I'm sure things have changed, but you know the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you...fool me thrice and shame on me!😁

I know they had a bad run with some 3-18's a number of years back and that didn't help their standing in the US tactical/tacticool crowd. I had 3 go down in 3 trips to the range. Liked most everything about that scope and if it would have held up I would own several. The worst part was waiting over 6 months every time I had to send it in to get one back. I'm sure things have changed, but you know the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you...fool me thrice and shame on me!😁
interesting. just curious what the issue was with three failed scopes. was it turret related? I'd like to know, because I like my scope to the point I would buy another for my next 'long range' rifle. for me weight isn't an issue, but sharp glass and turrets that dial true and return to zero. my swfa scope was flawless for 3 years till I shot at 1000 yards, but when I returned to my 100 yard range it wouldn't hold zero. SWFA is replacing it for fee as soon as one is back in stock.

I have hunted with rifles-and loaded for them my entire life and had success out to 350 years just using Kentucky windage. However this last hunting season I had a trophy white tail (neighbor killed him 141") that was outside of my range of comfort and rather than chunk one his way in hopes of hitting it, I passed and my neighbor got him the next morning. After having this happened I have gone to several shooting completions and made friends with one guy in particular. He told me the best way for me to learn how compensate for elevation and windage would be to get 223 or a 308 and shoot in conditions. He says this will make me miss and I will learn from it better than buying the latest and greatest caliber and "chasing spotters". After asking multiple others at these 600-1000 yard matches they all basically say the same and one member had a rifle that seems to be set up well for me learn on. It is a Remington 700 20" with a krieger 1:10 bedded in a fiber glass stock. The man I bought it from says it shoots better than 3" groups at 600 and I watched him do it several times shooting 185 grain berger bullets. He gave me the recipe. My only issue is I have already paid $1500 for the rifle dies bullets etc, I still need a scope. I asked him what to get he very adamantly said nightforce or mark 5 leupold.

For the task of learning this game by that through shooting at my property (putting a berm up at 450 yards) and matches what optics would be sufficient for someone that's relatively new to shooting this long range game? At this pop but i have looked at nightforce shv, nx8, and leupold mark 5. I don't mind to pay for a good repeatable scope but components are high and right now I can barley find anything. Any help would be appreciated
What are the specifications of your rifle: Caliber, bullet, FPS, BC,,,?

interesting. just curious what the issue was with three failed scopes. was it turret related? I'd like to know, because I like my scope to the point I would buy another for my next 'long range' rifle. for me weight isn't an issue, but sharp glass and turrets that dial true and return to zero. my swfa scope was flawless for 3 years till I shot at 1000 yards, but when I returned to my 100 yard range it wouldn't hold zero. SWFA is replacing it for fee as soon as one is back in stock.
An internal lens kept popping loose or something. Like I said this was a little while back but still left a black eye. Things change hopefully for the best. That company I bought it from allowed me to return it after nothing but bad experience for 2 years. Swapped it for a FFP Leupold and trashed three of those...
I recently got a 3-15 SWFA in the mail after sending one in for repair 5 or 6 months back, so I feel ya on that.

What are the specifications of your rifle: Caliber, bullet, FPS, BC,,,?
20" 308 1:10 krieger barrel. Load supplied with the gun is a 185 berger juggernaut with reloader 16 2,610 FPS. Have 23 rounds on hand the previous owner loaded. I am trying to find components to load it the same way he did.

Jackson, since you're planning to take a long range shooting class, wait to buy your scope until after the class. Most classes furnish the rifle and scopes. This way you can compare SFP, FFP, different reticles, etc. for shooting long distances.
The class will also explain the advantages and disadvantages of different scope designs.
This sounds like the best thing to do. I have a friend located several hours away that is/was an army ranger. I text him earlier and he said he would come give me as many pointers as necessary this weekend. (I just got my berm pushed up and it's an easy 466 yards. If I push it I can get 525)

He says he has a similarly set up rifle and his has a nightforce scope. Guess I'll see how I do, how I like his, and report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.