New LR shooter

snox801,

Thank you for your information. My main interest is hunting with maybe doing some long range shooting and/or matches. So the tactical look does not suit me but I do appreciate your consideration.

To me the gains of a 6.5 Creedmore over a 260 Rem are minimal to non existent. If you reload, brass is much easier to come by for a 260 as it can be sized from 243 easily. Personally I use Lapua brass. But for either caliber I would recommend the Savage 12 LRP for a factory rifle (they chamber both in this model). I have had one in .260 Rem for about 4 years and have a couple thousand rounds through it. It's a heavy SOB but I've had great luck for accuracy in a factory gun. I've been getting .4 MOA @200 shooting Berger 140 HVLDs, CCI BR2, 41.7gr H4350, .015" jump running 2850 fps (velocity seems high according to the books but that's what my chrony says) and .3 moa with 142 Sierra MKs, CCI BR2, 46.0 gr H4831, .020" jump, running 2690 fps. Just my two cents.

snox801,

Thank you for your information. My main interest is hunting with maybe doing some long range shooting and/or matches. So the tactical look does not suit me but I do appreciate your consideration.

Production gun w/ factory ammo I think you've made a wise choice for the 6.5CM as the hornady factory ammo is practically match grade. I know a guy who shoots chicken matches with a factory savage light hunter, and I assure you he has the means to add another custom to his collection. With that said I would take a good hard look at the savage predator, I think this could fit the bill esp b/c its toting a slightly heavier barrel than the others. You'll praise that if you shoot a match or when spending some time at the range.

IMO the CM is what the 260 should've been.

If you can come up with a used 700 rifle or just the action. You can rebarrel it to fit your needs. There are tons of aftermarket stocks that fit the 700 action. Then as you can swing the extra cash, you can swap out trigger and do different things. Pacific Tool & Gauge make 700 style actions that you can pick up on sale.

Savage makes a target model that is accurate. The floating bolt head, along with prefit barrels, you can swap barrels yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.