Advice for a New LR shooter?

Id be sending your 3.5x10 back to Leupold for at least an elevation knob or even both.
The M1 version has no caps and the target version does. About $130 for both knobs.
That would give you a great scope for what your intended use is.
For me personaly, 10x is enough power to cover most of my needs.
Certainly up to about 1000 yds in a hunting situation.
I have straight 12x scopes on several of my l/r guns (by choice).
Ive seen guys lose animals that took off running after the shot due to limited field
caused by too much power.

Can you guys expand a bit on the advantages of the reticle in the PST compared to the HST? There's the obvious of an illuminated reticle when the light is low but there must be something else as well.

One thing I can already see the advantage of becoming a better more educated shooter. I have always gravitated towards lighter bullets at higher velocities. That has helped me compensate by giving me flatter trajectory. I'm shooting 210gn xbullets out of my 338 knowing that the 225 or even 250 is probably going to give me better performance especially out farther. I have kept my shots on elk under 300 yards so I haven't had any issues but by becoming better at the craft I can shoot those better BC bullets and be much more confident.

I think I'll still focus on setting up my 300 WSM for now and move on to making changes to the 338 at a later date.

Thanks for the help and advice so far it is helping. As for a rangefinder I do have a Leica 1200 that is several years old. It works great but does not have the angle compensation that the newer ones have so I'll need to be careful there until I can upgrade but for now living in flatland it should be fine.

Thanks again

D

Mark,

Thanks for the input. I'm checking out the Burris as we speak. I like what I see so far. Nothing against the 700's but at the time I was buying my rifles I liked the fit and feel of the browning better. they have been really good weapons for me so far (I've got 4 of them). At the time I bought the 300 WSM I wan't thinking about long range shooting, of course I probably wouldn't have educated myself enough to choose the 7mm either. I completely agree on the belts. I also have 7MM rem mag and hate the belts.

Out of curiosity what do you see as the primary issue with the Browning? Is it the light barrel or barrel length or a combination of both along with other obvious things.

Keep it coming. Of course with every reply it seems my wallet is about to get lighter.

thanks
My guess is that you have the x bolt? If it shoots good then great. stay with it. at least till its time to rebarrel. Gunsmiths have had some issues removing barrels just like the weatherby vanguards. I wont do them. Browning has given some mixed information to weather there actions are investment cast or extruded but one thin is for sure they are milled. and milled is not the most accurate way to build a action. lathe turned/ edm is. When an action is turned on center and threaded on center its way more accurate the action is the platform that dictates the lathe turned drilled & rifled barrel that is installed. the one basic rule in building a accurate firearm is that every thing is built off center line. (action, threads, face, lug, threads, chamber, bore,) all in a perfect line. if you browning shoots good than great. if it shoots good the end results at long range will be the same. dont fix whats not broken. When its time to replace it think about the facts that you have learned.

as far as the scope and rangefinder get the burris xtr 2 3-15 (yo buck) is correct about shooting on high power at close range it can be a problem but having the extra power to use when needed is also nice. The power you put it on is up to you. but if you dont have it you cant use it. but there is no reason on a hunting rifle to have 20, 25 plus power. you also want to remember the higher the power the less the moa travel. as far as the rangefinder get the br2 g7 rangefinder and have your turrents itched in yards by kenton industries...

Can you guys expand a bit on the advantages of the reticle in the PST compared to the HST? There's the obvious of an illuminated reticle when the light is low but there must be something else as well.

Here are the different reticles...

PST:
sub_pst_s_4-16x50_ebr1_moa-t.jpg

HST:
sub_vhs-t_s_4-16x44_vmr-1_moa-t.jpg

You'll see that the reticle subtensions are smaller in the PST than the HST, which allows you a more precise aim. The PST also has an etched glass reticle and the HST has a wire one. That is not a huge deal, but when comparing them it can matter. Another big thing is that you can get the PST in a 50mm objective instead of the 44mm that comes on the HST. Those are the reasons that I would suggest the PST, especially when you can find them for about the same price as the HST if you look hard.

OK here's where we are at this point. I've read and taken into consideration all the advice you guys have given. After evaluating that advice and m goals I decided to go with the Vortex HST 4-16x44. I know I was given much better options for true long range shooting. However, this is still going to primarily be a hunting rig. I also don't have easy access to a 1000yd range. I have an older Leica 1200 rangefinder that will work fine for where I am and what I want to do. I really like my A-Bolts and have no plans to change it. I'm going to re-evaluate my realistic range goals and hope I can get to at least 500yds. This seems reasonable to me. I think basically I need to get this set up in order and just spend as much time on the range as I can and see how it goes.

Depending on how this goes and how much I enjoy it I can always start from scratch and set up a true long range gun later. It's always nice to have a project.

Thanks again for all the help and input.

Last edited:
OK here's where we are at this point. I've read and taken into consideration all the advice you guys have given. After evaluating that advice and m goals I decided to go with the Vortex HST 4-16x44. I know I was given much better options for true long range shooting. However, this is still going to primarily be a hunting rig. I also don't have easy access to a 1000yd range. I have an older Leica 1200 rangefinder that will work fine for where I am and what I want to do. I really like my A-Bolts and have no plans to change it. I'm going to re-evaluate my realistic range goals and hope I can get to at least 500yds. This seems reasonable to me. I think basically I need to get this set up in order and just spend as much time on the range as I can and see how it goes.

Depending on how this goes and how much I enjoy it I can always start from scratch and set up a true long range gun later. It's always nice to have a project.

Tanks again for all the help and input.

It's a great scope. Put the HS 4-16x44 on my son's rifle two years ago. I like the profile of the 44 objective. On his rifle it dials great to a 1000. He shot his elk last year at 550. A young man that I have coached for years shot his 1st deer with it last year at 500.

Get an ipod or your iphone and load the Ballistic app. Run the dial ups and send it. You will be surprised how well you do.

Have fun.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.