New factory 308 rifle

From what I have read, The Weatherby Vanguard was made my Howa many years ago and the Howa is basically the same rifle. Les expensive though because it doesn't have the Weatherby name on it!

From what I have read, The Weatherby Vanguard was made my Howa many years ago and the Howa is basically the same rifle. Les expensive though because it doesn't have the Weatherby name on it!
That I know of both Smith & Wesson and Mossberg have sold rebranded Howas as well.

I missed the 5R reference.

You said a Rem 5R which is a heavier gun and everyone else is mostly suggesting lightweight hunting rifles. What domain are you searching in?
I know they are alittle on the heavy side but I really like the 5r model 700 and I like remington anyways.ive just always wanted a 5r model.if I could find one I would deal with the extra weight.i have a remington 700 sps tactical that only the barrel action is still factory and this is what I was hunting with but I've done alittlw more modifications to it and it now weigh close to 16 lbs and I don't really enjoy carrying it any more.i use it when hunting out of box stands.i would like a right that weigh right at 10 pounds with scope.im looking at leupold mark 3hd or vx3 hd or the nightforce 2-10 model

I also own a Remington 700 5R Tactical in 6.5CM. With fluted barrel, muzzle brake, bi-pod, scope and cheek riser the rifle weighs 13.2lbs. Too heavy for the long walks. My buddy is a former Marine and had to have this rifle, didn't care if it was a little on the heavy side. He made me a killer deal on the rifle after he carried it for one season :). He now carries a Tikka and is getting ready to work a load for his new Christensen Arms rifle in 28 Nosler.

I've looked at those and really like the looks of them but I don't know anything about them

I've got one of their PH1 Havak in a 6mm Creedmoor and it's one of my favorite rifles. You'll read a lot about the action feeling stiff, but it never bothered me. They actually reworked their bolt and it's a nice improvement for sure.

The T3x is a great rifle as well - I had one in 308 that shot great!

I got a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Manbun caliber (Creedmoor) a couple years ago, and had the same complaint as OldRooster: the flimsy rubber forend would flex badly with a bipod on it.

I drilled some holes into the front of the forend and pushed carbon fiber rods into the holes (which close up nicely after being drilled, so did not leave unsightly holes on the front of the stock), then poured epoxy resin into the spaces in the forend. That stiffened it up nicely, and I would do it again if I had a flexible forend.

I think the Howa is good value for the price.

From my experiences I'd buy a Tikka T3 SS Lite, Tac A1, or maybe even a CTR to split the difference. The 11 twist would be gtg with lots of great bullets. The tikkas flat out shoot and the CTR mags feed stupid smooth. If you want to run AI pattern mags drop the CTR into a KRG bravo. They offer a chassis for either mag

Don't forget the ruger American. I purchased 2 in 308 for some neighborhood kids first hunting rifles. We load 110 ttsx in them for low recoil kids hunting rounds. But of course I shot them a little first to see how they did. These groups are
5 shot/100 yard. Herters 150 grain spce bulk ammo and American white tail. Hard to spend 2-3-4-5 grand on a custom rifle when a 450$ gun will do this......

Last edited:
72DA117E-D73B-4B99-BCB3-6FD74DB801A5.jpeg
8155D28B-356F-44E9-A883-0766677213A1.jpeg