Best Factory 308 run and gun tactical rifle

happylilcuss

Ok so who makes the best factory tactical?

Tikka Tactical. Pros- good accuracy, threaded for break/ can, factory DBM, price.
Cons- Not many aftermarket parts, lame stock, 6 round max
Rem 700p Pros- Tons of aftermarket parts, great reputation, price
Cons- Stock, trigger, No DBM
Rem 700 sendero Same as 700p

Kimber tactical rifles Pros- Awesome stock,
Cons- Hate the saftey, cost, no DBM
Sako TRG Pros- accuracy, dbm, trigger, stock, accuracy, threaded barrel
Cons- PRICE
FN Herstal tactical Pros- accuracy, DBM, Price
Cons- Unknown to me.
AR-10 Pros- tons of mods,
Cons- accuracy, trigger

What would you pick for a run and gun factory tactical rifle. It doesnt look like this year I am going to get the full custom as time has run too short. I like the Kimber but if I am going to pay that much I might as well go with the trg (right) Anyway looking for some advice. Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Best Factory 308 tactical rifle

We shoot M700 PSS at work. For the most part they all shoot less than 1 MOA with fed gold medal 168s

I personally own the M700 LTR with 20 inch bbl. It will shoot 168 Fed gold Medals at a .68 inches for 5 shots and my hand loaded 168 smk R-15, lapua brass, cci br primer into .33 inches for 5 shots @ 2550 fps. It will push the 155 scenar and the new smk 155 palma with varget at over 2800 fps. They have a higher B.C then a 175 SMK. 800 yards all day long.

All i did was break in with tubbs final finish.

Last edited:
Re: Best Factory 308 tactical rifle

I've shot the Remington and it's okay, nothing too important to gripe about. If I were in the market for one I would give serious consideration to the Tikka (personal bias as I like their rifles and would deal with the lack of aftermarket goodies) and the Thompson. I was watching a show and Dave Petzal was shooting one. Pretty impressive 10 shot group. It didn't seem to open much and stayed under 1 moa with a 10 shot string.

The Icon Warlord has a DBM, Manners stock with adjustable cheekpiece and guaranteed 1/2 MOA (3 rounds but held that with the first 5). Not sure about the street price though, haven't seen one on a shelf yet.

Last edited:
Well if I get the funds3-4 ot shifts it looks like I would go with the trg. If not then I am torn between the Tikka (I have a buddy with a 22-250 older tikka that is amazing.. We beat the hell out of it and it just keeps shooting.) I like the kimber but it is just so much more expensive than other rifles in its league.. I think if it came down to it I would look at being able to get a new stock on a tikka. If I can find a good tactical style stock I will go that way for sure.. I really just wish that I could get the 243 in this tactical rifle.

What's the street price on the new Kimber Patrol rifle? Its the one featured in the new rifleshooter magazine. If you want a 243 tactical style rifle, my buddy built one cheap. Used a Howa 1500 bbl'd action and B&C stock.

Look at the Remington .243 VS. Only reason its not tactical is cause the stock is grey. I don't know the bbl twist but mine will shoot 105 Bergers into one raged hole. I had the grey webed stock Line-Xed kinda like Rino Liner. Cost me 20 bucks.

Well, I had a long post written out and poof it went away so I will try again here,

I like the thompson idea. It seems like a really nice rifle even on par with the sako TRG, time will tell. I think the kimber is close on price but it too has to prove itself.

I was leaning toward the tikka tactical but I feel like if I went that way I would be stuck with what I got out of the box. (no room for growth)

So with that said I feel like I am looking for a Rem 700 AAC-SD I like the fact its threaded and of course its a 700 and I can end up with a custom gun as I go. I will immediatley put either a seekins or wyatts DBM on. I will then shoot it and see what I get. If I get a shooter than I can put a can on and love life. If it doesnt shoot then oh well, I guess I will have to wait to compete till it gets back from a smith.

To all those who posted thanks for your time. keep them coming so we can all learn a little more.

I owned a kimber tactical and i am sorry i sold it,some people either love or hate them but all i can say is mine was an absolute tac driver,the action is solid as a rock and very smooth to operate, the only thing it needed was a dbm,perhaps someone is making them now?.The tikka tactical is a great rifle and i have shot one and it performed well but i just hate the stock, it feels like cheap plastic to me,i was "told" by a Tikka/Sako rep that they use the same barrels on the tikka tac as they use on the sako TRG,i don't know how true this is!
Kimber tac:1-12T
Tikka tac:1-11T

Do you already own a 30 Caliber can?

I can see where you are coming from if you do have one allready, but if not, you could be looking at spending a chunk of change on it.

Hold off on the can and get what you really want. Get the TR-G, the Remington Millitary Police model M24, GA precision. Or McMillan.

The point really, is get what you want and don't regret it latter. Cans are cool and definitely have wow factor, but unless you want to shoot sub-sonics all the time not too practical. I guess you can always develop 2 different loads and just keep the scope adjustments documented and close by.

Another thing to think about would be BBL twist. I'm not so sure on this but I believe guys using cans on .308s 7.62 NATO, are shooting crazy heavy bullets like the super long SMK's. Don't think a factory 1\10 or 1\12 will stabilize one especially at less then 1100 fps.

I have the TRG-22 and the Kimber Advanced Tactical Rifle 308. Both are top notched rifles. I'd have the edge to the TRG, here's why in shooting both rifles for 2 years.
TRG-22 Better stock feel. 60 degree bolt throw. Great 10 round mag. One of the best bi-pods. Threaded barrel. Can be set up with iron sights( scopes do fail). A little more accurate than the Kimber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.