New factory 308 rifle

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all like title says I'm looking around for a new factory rifle chamber in 308 as I sold gave one of mine to my brother for his first own rifle.so now I'm looking to replace that rifle.i need one that will be just for hunting (I have another for shooting prone or off bench) I'm looking for one with 24inch barre but 22 inch would be fine.i would like a remington 700 5r but good luck trying to find one now.anyways I'm just curious what everyone opinion would be on a real good factory rifle would be? I've looked at a couple christensen arms that I like mesa and ridgeline models and winchester model 70 long range and extreme weather but would like to here some other options.if I can't decide on a factory rifle I may go ahead and have my first custom built.thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the suggestions above. I will say that the Howa's are under-appreciated. I had one that I wish that I'd never sold and I have one now that shoots amazing well for a barreled action simply screwed into a Boyd's laminated stock.

Hello all like title says I'm looking around for a new factory rifle chamber in 308 as I sold gave one of mine to my brother for his first own rifle.so now I'm looking to replace that rifle.i need one that will be just for hunting (I have another for shooting prone or off bench) I'm looking for one with 24inch barre but 22 inch would be fine.i would like a remington 700 5r but good luck trying to find one now.anyways I'm just curious what everyone opinion would be on a real good factory rifle would be? I've looked at a couple christensen arms that I like mesa and ridgeline models and winchester model 70 long range and extreme weather but would like to here some other options.if I can't decide on a factory rifle I may go ahead and have my first custom built.thanks in advance
Since you are looking for an out of the box rifle that shoots sub MOA I have two recommendations. The first is a Tikka T3X which is available in pretty much the caliber of your choice (I have two a .270 and a 30.06) The target below is from the .270 sighting a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6 x 24 x 50 in at 100 yards using Sig Sauer Elite 140 gr .270 ammo. You can track the adjustments by the pasters on the target to the final 5 shot group. I have tried to do better with handloads but can only equal groups this size. My 30-06 (Same Vortex scope) shoots 5 rounds enlarging the first bullet hole with Federal Premium 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (P3006Q) Another choice might be a Browning AB3 Hunter. I just bought one of these according to Browning both the AB3 and Xbolt utilize the same barrels. The AB3 comes in a variety of barrel lengths starting at around $600 and so far my .300 win mag with a 26 inch barrel is shooting right at 1 MOA with about any cannon fodder that I throw at it. It does however seem to like the Federal Premium Nosler AccuBond 180 gr (P300WA1) the best. Haven't tried hand loads yet due to powder availability issues but am looking at finding sub MOA groups when I do. All in all the Tikka's, Vortex Optics and out of the box ammunition make them a good choice for a very accurate out of the box combination.

Attachments

• Tikka .270.jpg
    Tikka .270.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 119
Like SilentHero I like the Sauer but I like the Sauer Classic XT.The bolt was so slick I could open the bolt and just tilt the rifle back and the dummy shell would eject all by its self.
The slickest bolt action I have seen since the Sako but they did not have it in 308 so I passed as I don't see the need for a 6.5 Creedmore where I live.

Good group Teri

For the money: Tikka T3x or Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon... maybe Kimber 84M.

My dad owns a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5CM and loves it. The rifle seems to shoot all ammo under 1" and good ammo @ 3/4"

I own a Kimber 84M Hunter in .308. Found great loads with 124g Hammer Hunter and 130g Barnes handloads. Super lightweight and sometimes tricky to shoot because the stock flexes. I should invest in a better stock but I manage.

My cousin is opting to pull the trigger on the Hell's Canyon Speed. I'm liking all the reviews and looking forward to trying it out.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the suggestions above. I will say that the Howa's are under-appreciated. I had one that I wish that I'd never sold and I have one now that shoots amazing well for a barreled action simply screwed into a Boyd's laminated stock.
Thought that I'd see what such a rifle could be assembled for.
22" Sporter barreled Howa 1500 .308 Win: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...orter-barreled-action-prod94598.aspx?psize=96
$466.99 as I type this.
Boyd's 'Platinum' walnut stock, 1" Limbsaver recoil pad, Stippled, Pillar bedded: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
$365 as I type this.
So ~$832 without working too hard to find deals.

Since you want a factory rifle I'll tell you what I bought right before the pandemic.
Howa 1500 in 308.I love the rifle but the soft spongy stock is not my favorite.I filled the voids in the barrel channel with epoxy and it's stiff enough now to print impressive groups.22 inch barrel
I too bought a Howa 1500 heavy barrel Mountain rifle in 308 years ago. Still use it for all my big game hunting here in northern NH. It still shoots great groups out to 300 yards with my Vortex scope on it! I'll never get rid of it! Put a Hogue stock on it.

Since you want a factory rifle I'll tell you what I bought right before the pandemic.
Howa 1500 in 308.I love the rifle but the soft spongy stock is not my favorite.I filled the voids in the barrel channel with epoxy and it's stiff enough now to print impressive groups.22 inch barrel
Get it in the KRG BRAVO STOCK....and you'll love the Howas!

Personally...Browning Hells Canyon, Weatherby new Vanguards