Tactical run and gun competition Long range Rifle help needed

happylilcuss

So I want to have a rifle built mostly to compete in NCPPRC Annual Tactical Bolt Rifle Challenge,

What I would like from you guys is: Who would you have do it. Who could do it and have it to me by first part of next year??
I would like the rifle to be a .243 but may choose a .308 before this is finished.

Should I go full custom or should I go heres a 700p fix it up for me?

Kery gave me a brief list for an 270am
Built rifle
Borden Timberline Magnum receiver............................................$950+shipping
Holland Comp Recoil lug............................................................$50
Wyatts extended mag box(3.820" OAL)......................................$125
Mag follower and spring.............................................................$65
BDL floorplate...........................................................................$95
Seekins 20 moa rail base...........................................................$110
Lilja 30" barrel...........................................................................$350+shipping
Barrel fluting.............................................................................$135
Fitting and chambering barrel.....................................................$220
Matte finish barrel.....................................................................$75
Holland QD muzzle brake..........................................................$215 **
Jewell trigger installed and tuned you your pull weight..................$275
B&C a5
Mcmillian A2 A5
Laminated wood stock..............................................................$185 to $400 ***
Pillar bedding...........................................................................$140
Return shipping........................................................................To be determined
I am sure I could go with something like this without a problem..

Well, Let me know who you would have do it and what way you would have it done. Thanks a Million

Last edited:
If you have the budget, go full-custom.

As for who should do the work? Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles. He built my 260 and is currently working on another long-range rig for me now (300rum). www.montourcountyrifles.com

In terms of turn-around time...who knows. Turn-around is based on the amount of work a 'smith has at the time. I've seen full-custom jobs finished in three months and a friends project that took 18 months.

Your time limit is short. Take into account lead time on components, not everything is sitting on a shelf some where waiting. If you find it 'on the shelf' expect to pay a premium for it. And,,, this is hunting season in many parts of the country, so most 'smiths are quit busy.

Last edited:
The one thing I did not see on the list is a detachable mag system. If it is a tactical match gun I highly recommend one.

Badger is the standard, or look at others that use AICS mags!

I would Che k out snipers hide for a used tactical rig. I see great deals all the time, and the nice thing about 308, most people will never shoot the barrel out.

I would also think about a shorter barrel. Enless it's a f-class gun 30 is to long for the tactical game and the 308. 26" would be tops.

Willys46

The 270AM rifle you have listed wouldn't be the best for that type of match. Although you can get away without a detachable mag setup, it is alot easier to use one. Barrel length should be kept 26-28" max. Trying to get a 30" barrel in and out of barricades is very difficult. Caliber will be up to you. We use 243's, 6.5x47 Lapua's, 6x47Lapua's in our tactical match rifles and have been very competitive. Alot of guys run 260's as well.

I would probably almost go full custom unless you already own a 700P. The difference in money isn't much if anything. Here is what I would build:

26" M24 contour fluted 1-7.5 twist
Badger M5 detachable mag setup
20 moa rail
Action of your choice
stock of your choice (Manners T2 is my personal preference)
Jewel trigger

Chamber in 243, throated for 115 Dtacs...... .585bc at 3000fps is hard to beat.

This will be a very easy to shoot, mild recoil rifle. It will also be very flat shooting and buck the wind.

BTW, check around as some of us stock components for spec builds and may have something that will fit the bill.

Last edited:
Im sure a borden action would be a great tool for you but IMO for about 300 bucks more you could call BJ at 3rd gen shooters and get a surgeon action and a A-5 today. With the surgeon you allready have a 20 moa rail and recoil lug.
The A-5 is ready for Badger bottom metal. The DBM are around you just have to do a little looking. Just a thought.... As for the Cal. I dont think you can beat a .243win with 105 vlds. or a .260 with 140 vlds. Brass is easy to find and reloading is easy. Less recoil than 308. You could go AI versions for the .243 and .260 but I dont think the speed is worth some other trade offs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.