LH Long Range Rifle, help needed.

sport22

Hi guys, swedish member posting.
Im looking to buy a long range hunting rifle in left hand.
I would like to to be lightweight also. A stalker gun for hiking all day basically. I have been looking at Remington 700 AWR in 338 RUM. Mcmillan stock, 26" barrel, 0,65" nominal muzzle diameter, 6 3/4 lbs. What do you think about this rifle and caliber combination? Has it got the basic foundations to shoot far and accurate?
There is a factory stock buildup in the front of the stock that the barrel is resting onto. So its not free floating. Is this a good feature or do people sometimes remove this even though it is put there intentionally?
If there are any lefties with a better idea let me know. I know Weatherby has the ultra lightweight and the accumark. But I feel the remington is more nice in this case.
I would like to have a 338 Lapua Mag in LH but no one factory makes them.
Suggestions and thoughts are greatly appriciated.
Best wishes
OneShot, Sweden.

if you can get a 338rum in a left hand,you have all the power you need.the difference with a lapua would be very slight and almost of no extra value for long range.i understand you're in Sweden and the Lapua is probably more easily available,but the 338rum is, for all practical purposes,the same thing.now i'm not sure a light weight version is what you want for this kind of shooting.a very high percentage of long range shooters use a gun that's over 12 lbs.the reason is most have heavier, longer barrels and usually the stocks are a little heavier also.for the most part, ALL of the components are heavier.it just seems to go together.when you attempt a shot at 1k,generally speaking,it's easier to be accurate with a heavier gun.

Thanks for your reply Dave.
Yes I know added weight will be good for accuracy, and less felt recoil. But I guess Im trying to compromise. Low weight and long range accuracy is what I am looking for in this case. I understand the felt recoil will problably be BIG but I think I will be able to take it. I know big recoil is another thing that can have a negative effect on my performance, accuracy.
Actually the 338 Lapua is in no way easier to get hold of here because no one makes them in LH at factory.

A brake would take care of the recoil issue! So if the 338 700awr lh is the gun you like add a brake and your in business.....

I shoot a 338 RUM REM 700 Left Hand action that started life as as 338 WIN Mag. I replaced the bbl w/a factory take off sporter weight 338 RUM replaced the recoil lug with a Tubbs.

Rifle is very good for walk & stalk and long range shooting from a "set up". Shoot 225s and 250s OK and 300gr SMKs really great.

I would highly recommend a brake. And don't add weight if a brake will be used. The extra weight actually reduces the affect of the brake.

My rifle weighs right at 10 pounds and w/a good limbsaver recoil pad is good for shooting all afternoon. I can usually spot my hits.

I drastically modified the BDL stock into a more or less target/tactical configuration, filled the magazine area w/filler and glued a mag block into the receiver for more stiffness and single shot capability.

Its a keeper and I don't have to mess with special cases etc. Its more or less load and shoot. BTW the 300 SMK leaves the muzzle at about 2730 FPS.

Hi Guys
Yes I understand that a break might be the best way to go.
Any ideas of what break to put on this rifle?
Thanks

Can you order an action from the states?

If you can the new lawton actions in 1.450" diameter come in either R or L bolt, either port and take Remington/Wyatts, DB Ross or Badger bottom metal. cost is $740 now US. Uses used Rem triggers $40 and rem footprint stock inletting.

BH

Thanks Bountyhunter, I will look into that.
I guess as usual when it comes to firearms and parts the hassle is finding someone who can export them. Too many US dealers seems so uninterested in export. I guess it is too much of a hassle thats all.
I will look into it, sounds interesting, thanks
Best wishes
OneShot.

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas of what break to put on this rifle?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly one without holes in the bottom. Reasons are pretty much obvious if you are ever going to shoot prone and not on a golf course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.