New Bushnell LRHS

Scopes are finally in, 80 or so have shipped out f the first batch and all the reviews so for are very positive. Light transmission seems to be what most are raving about. The glass is phenomenal for the price. The production scopes are a small notch above what I saw in the prototype as far as glass clarity. In all Bushnell did an Awesome job on this scope. There are a few available in next shipment arriving this week if anyone is interested.

I got to sit down with them about a higher mag version of this scope. The early plans for 2015 is a 4.5x18 version. Also the addition of MOA models and a similar reticle in MOA. these are probably a year out form production but will be prototype's for the Shot Show 2015.

George
G.A. Precision

I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X50 W/ 34 mm tube. ($1,700.) Zero stop and 1/10 mil adjustments and 10 mil range of adjustment.

A great scope especially because I have it with a Horus H59 reticle. FAR less turret turning with that reticle and, if I miss, 2nd round hits are very easy to make with an H59.

Howsomever..., Bushnell will not be selling scopes with the H59 reticle to the civilian market until they catch up with their military contracts.

I own a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50mm with a 34 mm tube. Mine has the last (for a year or so) of the civilian-available H 59 reticles in a Bushnell scope. Great glass, excellent turrets and with that reticle its a fantastic scope for $1,700.

Along with my Bushnell 10 X 42 1 Mile ARC laser rangefinding binoculars it's a great combo for higher 1st round hit probability.

Sounds like a great scope and aimed right at the heart of the long range community.
I like the Mil R system but thats what I trained with.
100mm at 100m is easy.
Who will be stocking them?

PS; What is a triplet lens and how do you tell?

The LRHS doesn't have a triplet lens. I spent some time with an early production sample of the LRHS at the last SHOT Show. The optics were about par for that price range. Resolution and contrast were good, but not great.

A triplet lens is often found in higher priced scopes (>$1,200), like NF NXS and Swaro Z5/Z6. A triplet lens makes the scope apochromatic (almost no optical aberrations), which means the resolution is good even at high elevation settings.

If the LRHS fits your needs, you should also consider the Burris Veracity and XTR II scopes. All of them are FFP with BDC reties.

Triplet lenses are found in the Bushnell ERS and XRS scopes and the prices reflect that upgrade.

Just remember, "moderately priced" scopes like the LRHS have better optics than top line scopes of 15 years ago. The advances in reticle and turret design, and CNC lens making and machining of the tubes and turrets are responsible for the great hardware we now enjoy.

Triplet lenses are found in the Bushnell ERS and XRS scopes and the prices reflect that upgrade...
I happen to have an HDMR 3.5 - 21 X 50mm, and I just inspected it. I confirmed that it does have an air-spaced triplet objective. I was actually a bit surprised to see that design feature in a Bushnell scope.

This is the scope that I have been waiting for. It has everything I was looking for. For me, unless I can lay down, long range hunting with some kind of support is 400 yards. Then on the other end when chasing the little piggies through the brush, 3 power works the best, and the circle is ideal for that.
If your shooting way out there toward 1K sure you would want more magnification, but for an all-around hunting scope, this one has a lot to offer.
John

Re: New Bushnell LRHS (scope lust)

The more I look at the LRHS scope the more I want it to replace the Burris Black Diamond MOA turret/mil dot reticle scope I now have on my .300 Win. mag. Browning A-Bolt.

Truly that is a great long range hunting scope and at a very fair piece considering the features and quality.

I am interested in the newer 4.5-18 model of this scope and came across this after doing a Google search. I find it funny that some are talking up Nightforces glass in their NXS models as that is the sole reason why I sold my Nightforce with NPR2 reticle within 6 months of buying it. Before buying the NF and getting into long range shooting, I used a 4-12x50 Swarovski Habicht, which I think I paid $900 for. The glass was the best I had ever used in low light, which is often when the big boys step out. I sold the Swarovski for the Nightforce and enjoyed the scope while learning to shoot long range steel out to 1200 yards. However, when deer season started, I was extremely disappointed. All along I thought a $2000 scope surely had glass that was at least on par with my old Swaro. No doubt NF makes great scopes for several intended purposes but low light hunting (even on low power) is not one of them. My .02

I think you will find the Bushnell glass to be noticeably better than what you saw with NF in my experience. Their upper end glass is excellent. My eyes don't prefer swarovski glass to some of the other top end brands. I find zeiss and especially Leica looks better to me but top end Bushnell is right up there, close enough anyway to work for my hunting needs while giving me better turrets, reticles, etc. all of a much lower price.

There's a couple threads on the Hide about the new 4.5-18 if your looking for info. They are coming out this spring I believe. MOA versions of the LRHS as well.

Scot E.

I am interested in the newer 4.5-18 model of this scope and came across this after doing a Google search. I find it funny that some are talking up Nightforces glass in their NXS models as that is the sole reason why I sold my Nightforce with NPR2 reticle within 6 months of buying it. Before buying the NF and getting into long range shooting, I used a 4-12x50 Swarovski Habicht, which I think I paid $900 for. The glass was the best I had ever used in low light, which is often when the big boys step out. I sold the Swarovski for the Nightforce and enjoyed the scope while learning to shoot long range steel out to 1200 yards. However, when deer season started, I was extremely disappointed. All along I thought a $2000 scope surely had glass that was at least on par with my old Swaro. No doubt NF makes great scopes for several intended purposes but low light hunting (even on low power) is not one of them. My .02

I have no idea why some people bash nightforce glass. perhaps all NXS glass isn't equal and I have a better later version as my scope is only a couple years old. If I can see a coyote in sage brush past 600 yards well past legal shooting light. I don't see what in the world is the problem. night hunting big game animals in the US isn't legal in any place I know of. The NXS has you more than covered for any LEGAL big game hunting you can hunt. I see no reason to change the quality of glass especially in a scope like a nightforce. If you are one that truely needs the rugged and reliable tracking the scope provides, this is not intended use where a small difference in glass should be important to you.

I have no idea why some people bash nightforce glass. perhaps all NXS glass isn't equal and I have a better later version as my scope is only a couple years old. If I can see a coyote in sage brush past 600 yards well past legal shooting light. I don't see what in the world is the problem. night hunting big game animals in the US isn't legal in any place I know of. The NXS has you more than covered for any LEGAL big game hunting you can hunt. I see no reason to change the quality of glass especially in a scope like a nightforce. If you are one that truely needs the rugged and reliable tracking the scope provides, this is not intended use where a small difference in glass should be important to you.

I think a lot of it has to do with an individuals eyes. Some just agree more with different types of glass and coatings than others.

Scot E.

I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 tactical scope with an H 59 reticle. It has very "good" glass but it's not ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass.

If only Bushnell would, for another $200. -$400. gives us the option of getting the same scope with ED glass I'd get one.

The exhaustive tactical scope comparison by the Firearm Blog showed that the original Bushnell HDMR 3.5 - 21 scope (now ERS because it has a zero stop) was #9 out of 18 scopes tested and it was the best for the money of all the scopes tested.

I'm fairly certain the ERS line is at least the same quality as the LRHS. It's likely their glass is equal in quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.