New Bushnell LRHS

I use the HDMR 3.5-21x50 for ballistic testing and its a great scope for the money, especially if you need the H59 reticle. I pushed a 30 lb rifle off a shooting bench and it landed on the focus knob. Except for a few scrapes the scope was not damaged. I've shot hundreds of 750-1,000 grain rounds with that scope and the mechanical adjustments still feel tight. But I caution anyone against drawing conclusions about other Bushnell models, based on experience with one particular model.

Bushnell's product design practices and supply chain are Byzantine. Marketing staff and design engineers come and go, and the company doesn't seem to have consistent design standards. In the recent past they have condensed scope models of various origins into new tactical lines, with only a minor reticle, lens coating, cosmetic and/or turret pitch upgrade. Some models are above average optically, while others are mediocre. I have not been able to find much consistency between various models within a line.

I use the HDMR 3.5-21x50 for ballistic testing and its a great scope for the money, especially if you need the H59 reticle. I pushed a 30 lb rifle off a shooting bench and it landed on the focus knob. Except for a few scrapes the scope was not damaged. I've shot hundreds of 750-1,000 grain rounds with that scope and the mechanical adjustments still feel tight. But I caution anyone against drawing conclusions about other Bushnell models, based on experience with one particular model.

Bushnell's product design practices and supply chain are Byzantine. Marketing staff and design engineers come and go, and the company doesn't seem to have consistent design standards. In the recent past they have condensed scope models of various origins into new tactical lines, with only a minor reticle, lens coating, cosmetic and/or turret pitch upgrade. Some models are above average optically, while others are mediocre. I have not been able to find much consistency between various models within a line.

look around and see how many bushnell scopes you see for sale behind the counters at stores. Its sad because the elite scopes were my favorite line of scopes. Now days I can't even find them in a store to look at. I have 3 major large retailers everyone has heard of close by and numerous smaller shops. the only bushnells I see for sale are the trophy line. Bushnell used to be a mainstay.

I do agree that there is a wide variance in glass quality and like Bruce mentioned even inside the elite or tactical line there are differences. However, they have always been pretty decent when it comes to glass IMO and their durability and turrets have always been one of the best for me and this is even more true when price is factored in. Even the lower to mid level 3200 and 4200's were excellent in this regard and had good to very good glass.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.