New Berger bullets from SHOT Show

I was hoping for one. Wanting to build 8 or 9 twist 25-284 this year. Hoping that someone would come out with something around 125-130 grains
I would prefer 140 grain range, given that the next size up (6.5mm) is now up to the 155-160 grain range in common production.

I know I can't be the only guy out there who's disappointed and ****ed at the same time. For God's sakes, its time for the "fair market" to be fair to all calibers.

These big name manufacturers always take a risk and take the deep plunge on a brand new cartridge every year or 2... Why not just give it a good honest fair try at the sales game and advertise the crap out of it, and build some .257 140 grain hybrid hunting bullets, like a 140 Elite Hunter or something, and see how they sell??? They'll burn money and risk losing it on a new trendy cartridge year after year, but they won't even try one single bullet? Companies like Berger are supposed to cater to the niche markets, like LR shooting and hunting, BR shooters, competition shooters, precision shooters, and even your average hunters. So, what do they really have to lose? If they don't sell well, they won't have to produce many of them each year to keep supplies stocked, so overhead should be minimal once the molds are payed for.

Last edited:
Companies like Berger ? Well, Berger as it used to be is no more ..... It is now a Lapua company which is owned by Nammo of Norway, things will be completely different and niche bullets catering to a small market will never happen, especially with Berger delving into the ammunition market, the usual bullets may become even scarcer for the reloader , I sure hope that won't happen since I shoot a ton of Berger bullets in multiple calibers and weights, sure glad I just bought an additional K each of 200.20X, 215 and 230 gr 30 cal bullets, with the popularity of the 300 Norma Mag skyrocketing all those bullets will be directed to ammunition, especially with the .mil adopting the 300 Norma Mag, who knows when reloaders will ever see the 245 gr 30 cal bullet or the Lapua made 300 Norma Mag brass ? hope they set aside some for us .........

the good news is Sierra is producing some seriously high bc bullets these days, the new 7mms and the 6.5 shoot fantastic and hold up to some extreme velocities in the Norma Mag Imp wildcats, can't wait to burn some powder with the 230 gr SMK that sports a .800 bc supposedly, got 200 pcs coming in this weekend

Yeah, I keep forgetting that NAMMO bought them out... I guess that means us .25 caliber shooters are screwed.

Sad how gun/caliber trends are no better off than hipster and clothing trends. Here today, gone tomorrow. Sad thing is, most gun/cartridge trends stem from armchair snipers who want to use what the .mil uses, so they can feel cool when they talk to their other buddies. It all started with the troops bringing back their .30-06 surplus rifles they used in war, and sporterized them for hunting rifles. Then the .308, then the .300WM, then .338 Lapua, now it's .300 Norma Mag. And with the 6.5CM popularity rising, I wouldn't be surprised if it won't find a way to cross over from the private sector into the MIC, even if only in obscure aspects or special purposes. :rolleyes:

I don't have the money to stock up on anything right now. I'm actually trying to sell some extra scopes, fishing equipment, my bass boat, and other things, just to pay my bills... When the money goes away, the toys are first to go. Good thing I consider guns as tools, and not toys...Because tools never get sold, as they have a useful purpose.

if its 1.9 I'll be set with my edge

My custom has a 1-9.4 Bartlein.... it's gojng to be cutting it close as the 300gr bullets require a 1-10

If not then I'm confident the 300's will still stay supersonic further than I can hunt animals at; and shelves will be plenty stocked with them as the rush for the new bullets take off

Sure would be great get a .375 to replace the 350 gr SMK. I ve used the .338 hybrid now and it's great for both extreme long range (2560 yd) and hunting. The 245 gr .30 looks intriguing to replace the 240 gr SMK I use in my custom 30-378. I don't suppose anybody has tried it?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.