NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

Been running a 264WM for a decade. Current rig has over 900 rounds down the pipe. No measurable loss in accuracy and less than .030" throat erosion. Running a stiff charge of Retumbo behind 140 Berger hvld @3150fps mv. 10+ firings out of Nosler brass. Can safely and easily get 3200+ with H50bmg compressed load. 26" 1-8" #4 Lilja 3r ss bbl, Defiance Rebel action, Mac A3 sporter edge fill. Deer size game out to 800yds no problem. Less recoil than a sub 8# .270 win. Is it the holy grail? Dunno, but I have no complaints and no desire for any other 6.5mm.

When did I say that Weatherby didn't add a belt? I never said anything about adding a belt. I said people who design cartridges don't add one when it's not necessary, and don't remove it when it's not necessary. Roy Weatherby might have added one, but that's a bit redundant. I never said they don't shoot well... Where is this argument coming from? I'm genuinely confused by your comments.

Look it up bud... P.O. Ackley start wildcatting in the 1940's and 1950's. Facts is facts. And why would he be out of a job? He designed them all.

I own belted and non-belted cartridges, I'm one of the few people who have said it makes no difference in performance or reloading, as long as you know how to setup your dies properly. Not sure where your point is going with that one, either...

Why would he try to reinvent one of the 50,000 other wildcats based off the .300 WinMag? That would be stupid. Of course he would go to the PRC case, it's "new" and relatively unknown to folks who don't wildcat... Therefore he actually has a place to leave his mark.
haha you should do your research as Weatherby did add a belt to the 240 Wby Mag case which I happen to own one.....and yes it shoots extremely well even with factory ammo !
If these new case designs were around back then P.O. Ackley would have been out of a job....pretty simple really.

you and I both know that for general hunting purposes any of the cartridges work. just fine, one of the most consistently accurate rifles Ive owned was a belted cartridge.

Just nice to see a cartridge like the 6.5CM forcing you guys to realize just how good of a design it is, doesn't matter what platform they stuff it in it works, kind of like the 6.5x47 Lapua arguably one of the best designed 6.5 cartridges on the planet

Funny I didn't see Rich improving the 300 win mag but he sure jumped on the new 300 PRC in a hurry :po_O which of course is just a wildcat of Rugers cartridge !

Jeeezzzzzz 15 pages and I just seen this thread...only took the time to read the first page...

My dad built me a rifle for my first deer season in 1973. I recall asking about the 264wm back then, but dad didn't like burning all the extra powder, so I had to stay with a smaller cartridge. The 270win. I hammered a ton of deer, hogs, exotics and even a few turkey with it.

But when I got into using Savage actions, so I could do the work myself. The first rifle I "built" on a Savage action was a 264wm. That was last year and it really kicked off my desire for 6.5 rifles.

I now own all the "normal" 6.5's except the 260. I have the 6.5x55, 6.5CM, 6.5x284, 6.5-06, 264wm and 2 6.5 Grendels...but my favorite is the 264wm!

Very few 6.5 threads make it past me without me mentioning the 264wm. Mainly because it caught my attention as a kid, second because it is one of the best shooting rifles I own!

The new 6.5 Winchester Long Range Magnum: 'It makes a helluva noise and packs a helluva wallup'
How can you not buy into that kind of advertising HA

Pretty much nailed it right there... It's not "new and shiny" and doesn't have an MK Ultra hype-campaign being pushed behind it for today's instant gratification junkies with millisecond attention spans. Oh, and lets not forget this newfound dissonance about belted cartridges being somehow inherently bad. Can't tell you how many times I've both heard and read that lately... :rolleyes:

I don't have a .264 WinMag, but I would own one before I'd own any of today's barrel-burner magnum 6.5's, or a 6.5CM or PRC. The only modern 6.5mm cartridges I could see myself owning (other than the 6.5 Grendel, that I've had for years) would be a 6.5 SS, 6.5 Sherman, .260 Rem, or .260 AI.

These comments always make me wonder... how is this not being as close minded as the side that wants a new 6.5? Looking at the max load with retumbo the 6.5 prc and the 264 win mag are within 75 FPS of each other. By the time you find a load that shoots well in each they could be closer yet. So why be close minded one way or the other... if you like the new one then shoot the new one if you like the old shoot the old but to shame people into the old because you don't want to move to a new cartridge seems silly.

Switching to one do the modern cartridges is going to give the guy that's not building a custom rifle more options and can get new shooters in the door. I don't think we should be shooting down these new cartridges for the sake of being "old school."

Last edited:
These comments always make me wonder... how is this not being as close minded as the side that wants a new 6.5? Looking at the max load with retumbo the 6.5 prc and the 264 win mag are within 75 FPS of each other. By the time you find a load that shoots well in each they could be closer yet. So why be close minded one way or the other... if you like the new one then shoot the new one if you like the old shoot the old but to shame people into the old because you don't want to move to a new cartridge seems silly.

It don't get no simpler than that!

I thought the 6.5prc was designed around the 140 pill at 3000fps? That leaves a lot more than a 75fps gain for the 264wm.
Winchester could have saved us a lot of trouble by throwing a 6.5wsm into the mix a long time ago.
There's nothing wrong with any of the newer 6.5's, but the redundancy is getting a bit much.

I thought the 6.5prc was designed around the 140 pill at 3000fps? That leaves a lot more than a 75fps gain for the 264wm.
Winchester could have saved us a lot of trouble by throwing a 6.5wsm into the mix a long time ago.
There's nothing wrong with any of the newer 6.5's, but the redundancy is getting a bit much.

Run the numbers in Hogdon's website for retumbo both shooting a 140 Nosler Partition. 63.5 gr for the 264 gets you 3025,
6.5 prc with 59.5 gr gets your to 2950....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.