338 win long range

jackin brass

With a 28 - 30 inch barrel and the right ammo, can the 338 win be affective at 800 to a grand?

Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

With a 28 - 30 inch barrel and the right ammo, can the 338 win be affective at 800 to a grand?

Thanks

Look at the ballistics.

They can be effective at well beyond 1000 yards .that's why they are so popular with the long
range crowd.

With a good hunting load 1100 or 1200 yards+ is very possible even on large game(Like Elk).

For most the 338s will exceed the shooters ability.

My limit with the 338 RUM for Elk is self imposed at 1100 yards because of energy at POI.

Look at the energies with your load and decide.

There are much larger 338s that can push distance beyond 1500 yards.

The 338 Win Is a great 338 with good potential in the hands of a good marksman.

J E CUSTOM

im shooting up to 800 with a 6br necked up to 6.5 with the shoulder blown forward .125 shooting a 123 at 2725. im sure a 338 win will work just fine. you may have more drop than the ultras and edges but its just a little more turning on a dial.

Thanks

If you are going to rebarrel, why don't you consider something like the .338 lapua. I'm just not a fan of 7 mag, 300, mag, and 338 mag. All of these are popping the primers out and still shooting 100's of feet per second behind the more modern case designs. I really think it is better to under load a bigger case volume than to stress a small case.

One of my best 1000 yard guns was a .338 lapua with a 34 inch barrel. It could chuck a 300 grain bullet. I also had a 30-378 that needed a new barrel and I almost had it made into a 338-378, but sold it instead

I used a 338 win mag for years, (I now use 338 rum). Out to 800 or 900 hundred yards it worked very well. It shot 225g AB at about 2975'sec using RL-19 and shot at 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. It had a 25" Pac-nor barrel. It would kill anything I pointed it at and I never recovered a bullet. The bullet always passed though. In some ways I liked it better than my rum at least it was lighter.

i'm gonna stick with the 338 win because i have a mauser 98. a 338 a
lap is to long,i sure would like to have one but maybe later. thank yall for the avice. after hearing the talk about it, i have a new found confidence it the round. now i just have to look at optics. i'm thinking about the mark 4 leupold.

for the money look into the nightforce NXS line. I have a Mark 4 and love it, but i love nightforces more. i think there about the same price. I got a smokin' deal on my scope that I just couldnt refuse.

Read the article on the 338 norma. It's designed to work on a long standard action with the 300grn serria. If you stay with the winchester version look at the Baer bullets 225 and 252 grn these both have very high bc numbers that the smaller case can still drive fairly fast. I haven't shot a 338 anything in over 20 yrs so I cannot speak as to how available those bullets are or if they perform as advertised.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.