NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

Well, if I was gonna jump on the 6.5 Bandwagon, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC. Seems to be the most efficient 6.5 on the Market. Next choice would be the 26 Nosler. I would've have much use for a glorified necked down .308 Winchester, which is the Creedmore and the 6.5 Wby appears to be over dosed on over bored. But I'll leave these arguments to you guys and stick to my 270 WSM, 30 Nosler and Custom 338-375 Ruger

20170626_171510.jpg
20170626_171510.jpg My 264 Win mag......

Well that doesn't mean much to me when 63.5 grains is a starting load in both 264's I've had.
If you wanted to go over the recommended max you can do that with the PRC also... trying to make a logical comparison so people can make the decision for themselves with all the data not just one side.

If you wanted to go over the recommended max you can do that with the PRC also... trying to make a logical comparison so people can make the decision for themselves with all the data not just one side.

Yes, but back to my original statement that the prc was designed to push a 140@ 3000fps. Davidson's words not mine. If you want to use lawyer proof online load data, a pile of cartridges are essentially useless.
I'm just making real world comparisons, the 264wm was designed to push a 140 well over 3000fps which it does.

What 6.5 commercial cartridge was available at the time that equalled the performance of the .264wm?
Here you go... Some research I have saved
7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super.
Bullet 160gr SP
Powder Wgt 58.0 gr
Powder 4350
Velocity 3,100 fps
COAL 3.190"
Primer CCI LRM
My next build, also had it been a wildcat back then, 6.5x61 S&H Super... Efficient cartridge with a lot of potential. Something that caught my attention a few years back, kept growing on me and want to build one at some point. I'll stop there. Don't want to deviate from subject.

I was in on this thread in the initial pages...

More info and I still think that the 264 Win Mag guys can get more speed out of their cartridge...was this a 264 thread or a 6.5 Win Long Range Mag thread...:)

Anyways...

I have a belted case (old stuff), with a Weatherby shoulder (old style), and headspaced off a really short case gauge...Barloc barrel bolt...

I have a ton of 270 Wby brass and I did this "just because"...

Built a 6.5x257Wby with a fast twist (1-8), 28" barrel

With a Magnetospeed on the end of my barrel...I topped out with an ave speed of 3427fps with a Sierra 150gr Match King. ES was 27 with a 10 shot group...RL26

Yes...that was an ave speed of 3427fps with a ten shot group with a 150 Sierra...

Going to back off a bit on the speed...Got a good node @ 3378fps...

Seems like the 26 Nosler may need some work and our "old" belted cases may still have some relevance...

Here you go... Some research I have saved
7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super.
Bullet 160gr SP
Powder Wgt 58.0 gr
Powder 4350
Velocity 3,100 fps
COAL 3.190"
Primer CCI LRM
My next build, also had it been a wildcat back then, 6.5x61 S&H Super... Efficient cartridge with a lot of potential. Something that caught my attention a few years back, kept growing on me and want to build one at some point. I'll stop there. Don't want to deviate from subject.
The only correct answer is that there was no commercially available 6.5 that could compete with the .264wm at the time. It has only recently been equalled or exceeded in performance with the 26 Nosler and the 6.5 PRC gets close.

If someone would simply neck down the .375 Ruger and give it a cool name like the "6.5 Ultra" and produce it commercially it would easily be exceeded and be an immediate commercial success with the right marketing. Winchester should have jumped all over it.

My 6.5 LRM will push 140's at a comfortable 3400fps and the additional few grains gain with the sharper shoulder and shorter neck from a straight 6.5-375 Ruger should give you 100-150fps more without any pressure problems.

IF/when I shoot the LRM out I'll probably do just that myself.

Last edited:
My daughter today shooting my Sendero 264 Win Mag at my home range. I have a piece of railroad iron hanging at 300 yards.
My off season load is a SMK 120 3400+

Attachments

• F21B191F-2111-4CFD-BBFA-5B6C7A2B0C1D.jpeg
    F21B191F-2111-4CFD-BBFA-5B6C7A2B0C1D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
Well, if I was gonna jump on the 6.5 Bandwagon, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC. Seems to be the most efficient 6.5 on the Market. Next choice would be the 26 Nosler. I would've have much use for a glorified necked down .308 Winchester, which is the Creedmore and the 6.5 Wby appears to be over dosed on over bored. But I'll leave these arguments to you guys and stick to my 270 WSM, 30 Nosler and Custom 338-375 Ruger
No, the .260 is a necked down .308, the parent cartridge for the CM is the .30 TC. You can get there from the .308 but it's a lot more work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.