NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

This is a perfect example naming a cartridge just right to make it it sell. This is a 6.5-06 ackley improved. BUT!!! people see the "06" in the name and immediately lose interest. 6.5- 280 ackley is a much better name without the 06 in there. Sure the shoulder might be moved forward or back just a bit from a 6.5-06, I don't know. But tweak an already existing cartridge, throw a fancy name at it, at just the right time (during a 6.5 craze) and boom! You just made money. This is my exact reasoning for naming this thread the way I did, put the words 6.5, long range, in the same sentence and all the 6.5 creedmoor/ PRC guys wet their panties a little bit. If I had named this "264 win mag, bla bla bla" I might have had a two page response

Yeah maybe. I mean every cartridge has a parent caliber and every improvement comes from something else. Moving shoulder angles, shortening cases, lengthening cases or blowing them out can also be called innovation.
Not liking it doesn't make it invalid whether we update an 06 or neck down a 280ai.
Let's not get allow a caliber to be lost under some negative connotation of marketing banner, especially when it's a good idea. If we do that, we have very little to see in Hornady, Nosler, Weatherby or any other wildcat that eventually becomes mainstream

Nomenclature aside, it is a pretty hot 6.5 that has some great potential, especially since it doesn't need custom reloading equipment and fire forming.
I like it.

Yeah maybe. I mean every cartridge has a parent caliber and every improvement comes from something else. Moving shoulder angles, shortening cases, lengthening cases or blowing them out can also be called innovation.
Not liking it doesn't make it invalid whether we update an 06 or neck down a 280ai.
Let's not get allow a caliber to be lost under some negative connotation of marketing banner, especially when it's a good idea. If we do that, we have very little to see in Hornady, Nosler, Weatherby or any other wildcat that eventually becomes mainstream

Nomenclature aside, it is a pretty hot 6.5 that has some great potential, especially since it doesn't need custom reloading equipment and fire forming.
I like it.
Not really. The 375 Ruger was an original, unique proprietary case.

Sadly I have not shot my 264 WM very much since H870 disappeared. I know there equivalent and slower burning powders out there but they just don't do what H870 did in my rifle, and I'm tired of spending money trying to achieve the same velocity/accuracy combination that H870 gave.
RL26 and RL33 work a treat...

I am a little old too, I bought a used 700 Rem. 264 Win Mag. Not long after I got out of the Army in 1965. Weighed many charges of the old H 4831 that came in those 1 lb. paper bags, With shipping was 75 cents a pound.
The most wild thing I remember about my 264 WM was. Herter's made a 130 grain semi round/ round nose bullet, Designed to be used in the smaller European 6.5's. It was a regular groundhog grenade at 264 WM speed. That bullet would turn a groundhogs head wrong side out, And if you hit the backbone it would tear a groundhog in two pieces, With the front and back halves about 15 foot apart sometimes.
It was the bastard child of the line of cartridges Winchester came out with based on the H&H belted case to run through a standard action. The 458 WM filled the bolt action Big 5 Africa gun. The 338 WM became popular as a big game cartridge thin skin cartridge. And filled the 333 OKH's wildcat slot with a factory round.
To me the 6.5 Rem. Mag. in the Rem 700. seemed to be a more efficient cartridge, In the 600 series guns the barrel was to short for good efficency.
If I had a chronograph back then I may have kept my 264 WM.
The 6.5 mm has become popular today as a long range round because of the long Ballistic friendly bullets available for long range shooting with out getting beat up bad and using so much powder.

Soooo.........belted magnums...........designed in 1912 to headspace the new 375 Belted Rimless Nitro Express (375 H&H) which would have been difficult to headspace with it's shallow angle shoulders (which were initially designed that way for long stand cordite). The shallow shoulders also proved to be an aid in easy feeding. Later necked down as the Super 30 which was introduced by Holland and Holland in 1925 (later called the 300 H&H) which by the way, also went on to win the 1000-yard Wimbledon Cup Match in 1935 as well as an international 1000 yard competition in 1937. I believe Winchester started chambering the 300 shortly after that due to it's rising popularity and I believe were responsible for calling it a "magnum". After that belts kind of became the standard for magnum cartridges. Perhaps belts are not really necessary in newer cartridges with sharply angled shoulders but they are certainly not a hindrance, in fact any newer style cartridge can easily be headspaced off the shoulders by a knowledgeable reloader if so required. Are belts necessary? I guess the plethora of new beltless magnums prove they are not, unless you are shooting the previously mentioned 100 year old cartridges or others with very shallow shoulders. Who still shoots these cartridges? Almost everyone who hunts Africa either shoots a .375 H&H or knows someone who does. It is one of my favorite cartridges and does everything required of that bullet very well and with manageable recoil. The 300 H&H is not as popular as it once was and that's too bad because it's a slick feeding excellent cartridge, especially with the powders available today. As a matter of fact I'm building both a .375 H&H and a .300 H&H for my upcoming trip to Africa in 2020. Maybe I'm old and nostalgic but I'm willing to bet the expense of my trip that they will both serve me well, even with a belt.

JM2C
the beauty of these two cartidges comes thru when in danger and the need for a quick 'sure' second shot occurs.

problem with the old Winchester is barrel twist. build a modern 264 with proper freebore and you have one hell of a hammer.
I like my 264 it always held up its end as long as I did my job
I built mine with a 26" Wilson 8 twist and a long throat. COAL on Speer gold dot 140 is 3.460" and just fills the neck of the cartridge. I run a little over 3200FPS with 80 gr of LRT (Rem 700 donor rifle)

I have had my ruger model 77 mark II stainless 264 win mag for 20 years .I couldn't ever find 264 win mag brass so I make it out of 7 mm rem mag . This rifles only has a 24 inch barrel 6.Its super accurate but it's a pain to reload for I have had more problems reloading for it than any other cartridge I ever loaded for .I have the best powder ever made for the 264 win mag h870 .I have shot some aweome groups with my rifle but unless I stick with the one load that works perfict everything goes haywire .The bullets I use have bands on them and they shoot under an inch at 300 yards but they only have a bc of .377 so it limits my range and the 24 inch barrel limits my speed but they are heavier and wear the throat less than lighter bullets .The throat on my rifle is for factory dual diameter bullets .I have tried I bet 30 different bullets none with fit besides my perfict load except 140 gr Winchester and 140 gr8 Remington .The Remington bullets cause high pressure and split the neck of my brass .I just found out you have to anneal once fired brass every shot for the rifle so it won't split .I learned it is only 200 fps faster than my 22 inch 260 rem with the same bullet .It kicks as hard as my 338 win mag ruger 77 .I want to try 156 g Berger bullets but I bet it won't work because of the throat .After 20 years with the 264 win mag I learned that it needs a 28 inch barrel to be worth fooling with .I also think it needs to be freebored like weather by rifles are .If it were 400 fps faster than my 260 rem I would say it's kinda worth it .I am building a longer 27 inch barreled 260 rem that won't be far from my 264 in speed and won't kick half as much .I faced the same thing with my 338 win mag and my 338-378 weatherby .The 264 win mag is awesome in the right set up but not worth it in the wrong one .I am glad I finally got a 264 win mag but I like the 260 rem more every day !

Just what the shooting world needs, more of the same !! Just a slightly better version of an ancient 6.5/06 that's been around since dinosaurs....no animal would ever know the difference....

My remmy 700 264 win mag. Old original that a smith I used messed up while bedding it so I put it in a new stock and had it cerakoted

Attachments

• ACD9B706-E69F-4688-BD95-2BF8649C8C1F.jpeg
    ACD9B706-E69F-4688-BD95-2BF8649C8C1F.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.