Need opinion - magpul hunter stock - 700bdl - sa

Muddyboots

Opinion on this stock for factory replacement? Pro and con? Problems? Drop in ease? Staying with floor plate since action is 300WSM.
Thanks,
Muddy

I have very little experience with them, but the one I shot (270 wsm) was very comfortable and easy to set up behind, seemed to soak up recoil very well. Didn't recoil any worse than my 6.5x55 that I was shooting in the same session. Thinking of switching a couple of my cheap stocks over to them.

I put my .308win into one. Here's my personal opinions and experience. I have unusually long arms, adjustable LOP is still too short, but for normal people should be just fine. I dont personally like the angle of the grip, would prefer more vertical, didnt realize this until I had shot it for a while, but finally decided I would like it more vertical. I like the adjustable comb, just wish that was included in the box, but would drive the price up so no big deal. As far a drop in, it is ok. I ended up needing to play with torque in action screws to find where it settled in and shot ok, ended up 70 in/lbs on both. I checked contact on the bedding block and recoil lug areas, ended up bedding the lug as I was only getting contact at the very top, and ended up having to relieve a few places where I was getting uneven contact down the receiver. Overall it's a great stock for the price, easy solution for somebody who wants a drop in and not a lot of fuss. I can see most people dropping it in, screwing it down tight and never looking back, but I just wasnt happy with what I was seeing down range so I started chasing gremlins. I'm the type who cant just leave anything alone.

Received stock today, literally took a few minutes to swap out with absolutely no fitting issues whatsoever. I added 1 spacer for the LOP and it feels perfect. Down sick with fever and chills so range is out of question for a while. My wife not too happy I was working on the stock....:rolleyes: Told her it was giving me relief....

I swapped out with floor plate but plan on getting the AICS mag setup for it. Nice reasonable stock with nice features.

Anybody have good outlet for a AICS .300WSM mag?
Muddy

Received stock today, literally took a few minutes to swap out with absolutely no fitting issues whatsoever. I added 1 spacer for the LOP and it feels perfect. Down sick with fever and chills so range is out of question for a while. My wife not too happy I was working on the stock....:rolleyes: Told her it was giving me relief....

I swapped out with floor plate but plan on getting the AICS mag setup for it. Nice reasonable stock with nice features.

Anybody have good outlet for a AICS .300WSM mag?
Muddy

It works just fine. Get your torque specs right, blue locktite doesn't hurt anything on the action screws. There's plenty of space in the barrel channel and it's pretty cheap compared to anything else with a aluminum block/chassis. Win in my book. I put a sps tactical in it and it shoots sub moa all day erry day.

My Wheeler maxed out at 60 in/lbs so that's what I set the action screws at for now to see how it performs at the range. I really like the stock angle and comb so I am hoping it will shoot as well as it looks! It's 11 degrees right now and maybe into the upper 30's next week. Should be feeling fine for next week... I hope!

Just came back from range and extremely pleased with results with new stock. The adjusted LOP was perfect, comb height perfect out of box. The rifle has not shot this well before even with same loads. Groups definitely tightened up which will put off barrel swap for at least a year or so. I double checked the action screws and still at 60 inlbs so nothing moved after about 35 rounds. I was only going to shoot a "couple" but it was shooting so nice, I just kept banging away. It also soaked up some recoil from stock design which was a bonus. I was shooting a comfortable load of 63.5 gr. RL-16 behind 180 AB which out of 24" barrel was 2910. This load keeps a steady ES of 13 and SD of 6 so decent load. Shot consistently 1/2" at 100 yds which is all the time I had to do today but very pleased with overall performance of the stock.
Muddy
(Note - I corrected load data, this was my bad typing too fast which is another good reason to never take load data from a posting without verification. I should have proof read my paragraph better and know better.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.