Magpul Hunter American Stock anyone?

Deputy819

Hey all! Wondering if anyone here who shoots a Ruger American has stocked it with the Magpul Hunter stock? I've ordered one for my American chambered in .358 Winchester and would like some opinions (good, bad AND the ugly) on it. Surely it has to be better than the utilitarian tupperware that comes standard with the Americans. Thanks Gents!

1) Play with the torq settings when you throw the action into the stock. Between 45-60. I think magpul recommends 55..

2) Get ready to buy the cheek riser kit..

3) don't take the aluminum block out of the stock. It took me awhile to get the plastic to line up again. Another torq problem, simply because I was curious.

1) Play with the torq settings when you throw the action into the stock. Between 45-60. I think magpul recommends 55..

2) Get ready to buy the cheek riser kit..

3) don't take the aluminum block out of the stock. It took me awhile to get the plastic to line up again. Another torq problem, simply because I was curious.
Good tips! I was wondering about #2 especially. I absolutely cannot get the proper cheek weld with the current factory stock. W-A-Y too low. Curious to see if the riser the Magpul comes standard with will be any better.

I have one and it works well. Id prefer stiffer. Mcmillan recently had some gamescouts for the american that id like to get. But it shoots well. With a bugnut bartlein 6.5 cm

Attachments

• 816A52A4-B105-4E05-BDBC-E678DD1060D5.jpeg
    816A52A4-B105-4E05-BDBC-E678DD1060D5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 262
  • BCA3D82A-D2BC-418F-A170-C8CAB372879A.jpeg
    BCA3D82A-D2BC-418F-A170-C8CAB372879A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 233
Stock arrived today and the install went without a hitch. Action screws torqued to 65" lbs for now. Hand-loads cycle just fine through the magazine. Surprisingly the length of pull was perfect without adding (or removing) any of the additional spacers provided and the cheek-riser that came pre-installed was spot on as well. Definitely looks and feels better than the factory tupperware. It did add quite a bit of weight, though. We'll see if it shoots any better/worse tomorrow hopefully...

D0A076A2-3173-40D4-8DB5-E853871F1890.jpeg

Did you get a chance to shoot it?
Sort of. I fired 3 rounds at a 10" steel plate at 200 yards. POI had changed a little. First shot was low and left. After a scope adjustment the last 2 shots were center of steel and on top of each other. I might throw a few rounds at a paper target today...it's unseasonably warm/mild. ;)

Okay....so, I fired a quick 3-shot group a few minutes ago. Now, keep in mind this is at 200 yards using a 3-9x50 Vortex scope AND utilizing hold-over on the bdc reticle. This rifle is zero'd for 100 yards. Group measured 1.90" so moa at least. Plenty good enough for deer (which is the rifles primary purpose...just not really for this distance ;)).
B4E0E7CB-E2F9-4863-96BA-84E67E275E6E.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.