Need help for next hunting rifle <$2000

I've never gone that far with a factory barrel. If it has to be pulled then a custom barrel would be more logical. I just have never had to do that with any of them other than to replace a 22/250 barrel that went south due to round count. I only polish them out and they shoot for me. Like I said it is all personal preference. I may some day end up with a Browning who knows? I would certainly not rule it out. I just have a personal preference for Remington.

I didn't HAVE to do any of that, as a matter of fact, I had no idea how they even shot before that was done to them. That was all done by my gunsmith, because they were rifles I put together using factory Remington barrels...So they were already being pulled apart and the actions being blueprinted. Might as well work-over a factory barrel to get it nearest to aftermarket standards, to see how useable it really is. Once you work-over a barrel like that, it really narrows the gap between factory quality and aftermarket quality.

Some of my Rem 700's have never been to the smith, and have nothing more than a trigger swap, and they shoot sub-1/2" 5-shot groups. One of which shoots 1/4" groups with handloads.

All but 1 of my Rem 700's have shot well with factory barrels. I wasn't saying that was a problem area with just Remington, I was stating that it is the most problematic area of ALL factory rifles.

I think we're all saying the same things, but somehow what I'm saying is getting misinterpreted.

I see both sides to this argument...But in the end, I will have to side with Sarge, as my personal experiences with factory Remington barrels have largely been good.

I'm in total agreement with you there on factory barrels. It's possible to have a custom barrel that's sour also. Though not as likely due to it being hand made for the most part of it's transformation. It does happen though. If I had my Bartlein or Kreiger barrels not shoot for me I would not be justified to say I would not touch one though.

I'll have to take your word for it as i have never owned a Browning. All i see on custom builds for the most part are some type of Remington cloned Receivers. Imitation is the best form of flattery i know of. I can say a lot for Remingtons though. Never had one that I could not make shoot 3/4" or better with a factory barrel and hand loaded for it. They will just plain out shoot for me. I do change out the triggers with a jewell though. We all know how bad the new triggers can be. Stocks are another thing that comes to mind. It will shoot with the flimsy stock but really should be changed. I polish out the bore on Factory barrels and it has helped a great deal in grouping.

When push comes to shove it boils down to personal preference.

I have not shot a Browning A bolt in a very long time, but when the A bolt was the new kid on the block I shot a .270 Winchester and I think a 25-06 that friends had. Both had the Boss System, and I thought it was a sales gimmick. One of the rifles shot solid mid fours, and the other was similar, but would dip into the high three on occasion. The rifles were very loud and recoil seemed light for what they were. I didn't like the noise! Still the Boss system works well.

I once had the chance to shoot a Sako with it's set trigger. The rifle was factory chambered in 6PPC, and it was a solid low threes rifle out of the box. Ammo load development was simply off the shelf 70 grain bullets, and some loads pulled out of the Sierra manual. I think the rifle was capable of being a low twos rifle with little work. The set trigger was the best out of the box trigger I've ever seen, and better than 90% of the after market stuff. Plus it was safe unlike some two ounce triggers.
gary

I didn't HAVE to do any of that, as a matter of fact, I had no idea how they even shot before that was done to them. That was all done by my gunsmith, because they were rifles I put together using factory Remington barrels...So they were already being pulled apart and the actions being blueprinted. Might as well work-over a factory barrel to get it nearest to aftermarket standards, to see how useable it really is. Once you work-over a barrel like that, it really narrows the gap between factory quality and aftermarket quality.

Some of my Rem 700's have never been to the smith, and have nothing more than a trigger swap, and they shoot sub-1/2" 5-shot groups. One of which shoots 1/4" groups with handloads.

I have been blessed with 2 .308's that shoot exactly that way. Have shot in the 1's to 5's but mostly under 1/2"

Well we have beat this dead horse enough and have ignored the OP completely. My apology to the OP. Hope you don't judge the forum badly because of this. I for one am done with it.

I have not shot a Browning A bolt in a very long time, but when the A bolt was the new kid on the block I shot a .270 Winchester and I think a 25-06 that friends had. Both had the Boss System, and I thought it was a sales gimmick. One of the rifles shot solid mid fours, and the other was similar, but would dip into the high three on occasion. The rifles were very loud and recoil seemed light for what they were. I didn't like the noise! Still the Boss system works well.

I once had the chance to shoot a Sako with it's set trigger. The rifle was factory chambered in 6PPC, and it was a solid low threes rifle out of the box. Ammo load development was simply off the shelf 70 grain bullets, and some loads pulled out of the Sierra manual. I think the rifle was capable of being a low twos rifle with little work. The set trigger was the best out of the box trigger I've ever seen, and better than 90% of the after market stuff. Plus it was safe unlike some two ounce triggers.
gary

Hi Gary, I have never fired either of the two so I will take your word for it. How you doing man? It has been a while.

Not sure how others here feel, but I got a savage for about 500. I am going to rebarrel it with a shilen drop in for 375 all ready to go. So for less than 900 bucks I am hoping to have a pretty good combo. Plus I like the accutrigger

morning, sarge I know the Winchester 70 was the first sniper rifle in nam that

know about. the o3a3 which was made by Remington, singer sewing machine,

and Winchester (I could b wrong about the win.)

in wwII in 06 was an is a slow but very good system. the 8mm used by the germans

in oberdeen mauser action was deadly. the german, Austria, Swedish, and camera

companies made the best optics for shooting. the 30-06, 7mm, 6.5x55, 7x57, 8mm and jap think in 7.92

were all very effective rounds. did u ever read the book white feather by

Carlos Hatchcock. he some how mounted a scope on a .50cal., mounted

post in the back of a M48 jeep. I have a 308 built on pure mauser 98

action. I bought a british (sp) machine gun barrel. BMG from the

son of a WWII survivor. started at 36" cut and finished to 26". I polished the action,

bolt and slide with jewelers polish, runs like glass. shoots very good.

the WWII survivor owned a machine shop, he took the barrel, cut fluting

rings every 2"s down the full length of the barrel. counter sunk the end

of the barrel and crowned. end of the barrel is 1".

just rambelling(sp).lightbulb

Excuse me for saying but you started out saying you liked Remingtons then you said you wouldn't touch one then said you wanted one for a build. You appeared to be confused about Remington Rifles. Sorry for pointing it out but it was confusing for me!

Ok let me be more clear, I like their actions and the way they feel, I just dont trust their barrels. I want one for a build because of their action, and the aftermarket parts for them.

morning, sarge I know the Winchester 70 was the first sniper rifle in nam that

know about. the o3a3 which was made by Remington, singer sewing machine,

and Winchester (I could b wrong about the win.)

in wwII in 06 was an is a slow but very good system. the 8mm used by the germans

in oberdeen mauser action was deadly. the german, Austria, Swedish, and camera

companies made the best optics for shooting. the 30-06, 7mm, 6.5x55, 7x57, 8mm and jap think in 7.92

were all very effective rounds. did u ever read the book white feather by

Carlos Hatchcock. he some how mounted a scope on a .50cal., mounted

post in the back of a M48 jeep. I have a 308 built on pure mauser 98

action. I bought a british (sp) machine gun barrel. BMG from the

son of a WWII survivor. started at 36" cut and finished to 26". I polished the action,

bolt and slide with jewelers polish, runs like glass. shoots very good.

the WWII survivor owned a machine shop, he took the barrel, cut fluting

rings every 2"s down the full length of the barrel. counter sunk the end

of the barrel and crowned. end of the barrel is 1".

just rambelling(sp).lightbulb
I have a signed copy of Carlos' book. Never had the pleasure of shooting with him though. We were in the same area "hunting" but our paths never crossed. I have a Win. 70 with a 10x Unertl on it today. Also have an Arisaka in 7.7mm and a German 8mm Mauser. Most of the rifles I own are post Viet Nam.

I am hoping the OP has made a decision on his new rifle. I got carried away and left him hanging in the breeze. For that I apologize to the OP. It was not my intention to hijack the thread although it did turn out that way. Must be more careful in the future. Sorry Quade, good luck with your decision.

No need for apologies, enjoying the argument. It did give me hope for Remington though. I had pretty much disclaimed them from all the rumors I have heard lately about freedom group ruining them. I think that is the way I would like to go by trueing a 700 action. I just need to find someone to do it.

Here is another question, everyone says go buy a cheap ADL or SPS for a donor. I have an SPS it is what I am trying to find a replacement for because I hate the action on it. It is the farthest thing from smooth as you can get. My final draw was hunting this year and not being able to load a round as a deer and I are looking each other in the eyes. Not blaming it totally on the action, it is a DBM which I will blame it completely on, it is a piece of garbage. So back to my question by trueing my SPS action will it make it a butter smooth action or would it stay rough as it is now?

Hi Gary, I have never fired either of the two so I will take your word for it. How you doing man? It has been a while.

I did not like the system, and hate the noise. Still it seems to be a crude tuner that works to a certain point. I was invited by guys I knew on a dare. So of course I did, but thought the claimed group sizes were bogus. They were not, as I saw many five shot groups like that. What impressed me was when they took a box of Federal factory loads and simply dialed them in to about 5/8th" groups. I'd have bet the farm they couldn't do that!

Still kicking much to the dismay of my ex wives! Medical issues have eased up quite a bit. Demons came back for a visit in a big way while back, and I can't suppress the bastards this time. All started when all that rain came back in June. Told Gloria I was homesick, and was ready to go home. She didn't understand till she asked buddies, and now we don't talk about it. I'm Ok with that. Gloria just sent me a couple pics from Arlington; at the Tomb. As I write this she is dropping off some cans of hot Budweiser in front Panel 31W, and a rose. I told her if they were cold I'd never forgive her. I still can't go there.

Back to rifles. You guys shoot what you like and fine tune it. No one should knock you for that. I'm no longer in the Remington camp (well I really am in other venues). I don't exactly know what fits my needs anymore. Sometimes it's a Savage and other days it's a Weatherby. It's all good if your willing to make it good. I'd rather have an old 99 than just about anything, but most guys wouldn't want one in their safe. Plus we all know how I like Hi-Walls and Lo-Walls (similar to sex). Still one hasn't had any serious fun till he tries other forms of shooting. Plus I can't even see 1000 yards anymore<g>, and I have Gloria nagging me to teach her to shoot hand guns and cast a fly rod! Suicide is the only option.

sorry for all the ramblings
gary

I am not sure. I was going through the same thing you are. In the end I ended up with a Savage Bear Hunter that I bought on a site for $715.00 plus shipping. It was donated by Savage to a kids shooting association. I went that route as I have a 300 win mag with a brake thats adjustable, a great trigger and known accuracy out of the box. I spent more on the scope, rings and base than the rifle. A lot more as in double! I got a used NSX 3.5x15 from a member here, a EGW HD base, Seekins rings, from the store here I bought a Holland level and a rear bag. I will be hitting the range often this winter doing load development. I hope when all is said and done I have a great all around any game anywhere in NA rifle.

I have a signed copy of Carlos' book. Never had the pleasure of shooting with him though. We were in the same area "hunting" but our paths never crossed. I have a Win. 70 with a 10x Unertl on it today. Also have an Arisaka in 7.7mm and a German 8mm Mauser. Most of the rifles I own are post Viet Nam.

I am hoping the OP has made a decision on his new rifle. I got carried away and left him hanging in the breeze. For that I apologize to the OP. It was not my intention to hijack the thread although it did turn out that way. Must be more careful in the future. Sorry Quade, good luck with your decision.

somewhere there are photos of me standing at the "Y" on the road from Baldy to Ross.
99% of the folks here will no idea where the road is, let alone what the "Y" is. I do, and that's close to home (for folks in the know). By the way a nice scenic walk (don't drive it if you got a brain).

I have an autobiography signed by Carlos, and two or three other guys. I missed a signed Copy of "Hell I Was There" by an hour or two!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.