Need help for next hunting rifle <$2000

First off thanks for the info I have a actual direction to go now. If I replace the barrel and I am only using the action is there a difference between the long range action and the action off my sps, Just for cost saving would it make a difference?

Quade the rifle is in black nitride configuration. If you want a Stainless action and barrel you should get what you want from the start.

For a hunting rifle the Long Range Rifle is very good if you don't mind the weight. No one can make the decision for you as we all have our likes and dislikes. If you are set on the 300 Win. cartridge then the LR is chambered for it as well as others. You should weigh out all the advice you have received and make up your mind as to what is best for your shooting needs. So much advice has been given and it boggles the mind for me. In the end you will make the decision that is right for your needs. Hunting accuracy and competition accuracy are different. You have to meet it in the middle for a compromise.

Good luck with your new rifle and enjoy the hell out of it!

Quade the rifle is in black nitride configuration. If you want a Stainless action and barrel you should get what you want from the start.

For a hunting rifle the Long Range Rifle is very good if you don't mind the weight. No one can make the decision for you as we all have our likes and dislikes. If you are set on the 300 Win. cartridge then the LR is chambered for it as well as others. You should weigh out all the advice you have received and make up your mind as to what is best for your shooting needs. So much advice has been given and it boggles the mind for me. In the end you will make the decision that is right for your needs. Hunting accuracy and competition accuracy are different. You have to meet it in the middle for a compromise.

Good luck with your new rifle and enjoy the hell out of it!

Finally got the LR Rem. To the range. First got it on paper at 100 and then went to 400. With new virgin cases and a throw together load with 208 gr. A-Max. it shot into a 6" group. Not real impressive but a good start. got home and cleaned it and it seems that the bore prep. I did paid off. No copper at all. That was a shock as i did no break in at all. I discovered the right lug was making hard contact with little on the left one. I lapped the right lug until I was getting good contact on both. I will have to shoot it again to see if that was the cause. Have not done any bedding yet so that may help also. Might be a week or more before I get out again. I feel like it will be shooting well on the next trip. Just have to find the load that it likes. I feel like I have gotten another good one from Remington. Lucky? Maybe, or is it that Remington is still making good rifles? We will see!

somewhere there are photos of me standing at the "Y" on the road from Baldy to Ross.
99% of the folks here will no idea where the road is, let alone what the "Y" is. I do, and that's close to home (for folks in the know). By the way a nice scenic walk (don't drive it if you got a brain).

I have an autobiography signed by Carlos, and two or three other guys. I missed a signed Copy of "Hell I Was There" by an hour or two!
gary

Elmer was a crusty old bird wasn't he?

Last edited:
I was actually introduced to him by Bob Milek and Skeeter Skelton at the NRA convention many years back. His hat was almost as big as he was! Also met Bill Jordan at the same show.
gary

Those are some prime time names in the shooting world! Never had the pleasure myself. Closest name I can acquaint with is Don Geraci. Don does all my barrel work when needed. Don is a World Champion BR shooter. Great Smith also.

Those are some prime time names in the shooting world! Never had the pleasure myself. Closest name I can acquaint with is Don Geraci. Don does all my barrel work when needed. Don is a World Champion BR shooter. Great Smith also.

met a few names here and there, and yet there are a few I'd loved to have met. Col. Askins and P. O. Ackley probably lead the pack. Was introduced to the guy that custom made bullets for Ferris Pindell about 20 years ago. Made punches and some other things for him off and on for several years. He then introduced me to Ferris and we traded back and forth for a few years. Later on I met Bill Calfee at the Saturday night shoots in Borden IN. Very smart man that is a light year ahead of his peers
gary

met a few names here and there, and yet there are a few I'd loved to have met. Col. Askins and P. O. Ackley probably lead the pack. Was introduced to the guy that custom made bullets for Ferris Pindell about 20 years ago. Made punches and some other things for him off and on for several years. He then introduced me to Ferris and we traded back and forth for a few years. Later on I met Bill Calfee at the Saturday night shoots in Borden IN. Very smart man that is a light year ahead of his peers
gary

Oh, I did meet another fellow that is somewhat of celebrity status. I met Charles Mawhinney here at a local Sheriff Swat competition. Very nice and humble fellow. Didn't talk about the past experiences just small talk. He is residing in Oregon and I believe he stated he was retired from the US Forestry Dept. He didn't stay long as he was a judge in the competition and was surrounded by law officials wanting pics. and autograph. He drove here with his Son and left for his home state after.

Oh, I did meet another fellow that is somewhat of celebrity status. I met Charles Mawhinney here at a local Sheriff Swat competition. Very nice and humble fellow. Didn't talk about the past experiences just small talk. He is residing in Oregon and I believe he stated he was retired from the US Forestry Dept. He didn't stay long as he was a judge in the competition and was surrounded by law officials wanting pics. and autograph. He drove here with his Son and left for his home state after.

I saw him once on TV, and I'm pretty sure I saw him in Vietnam. Still never spoke with him. J.T. Ward (or is it J.D. Ward) was sniper on road clearing OP's up by Hawk Hill (a little north of Tam Key) with a buddy of mine. I met Stinson a couple times (SOG and Phoenix OG), and Gritz once. Most important guy I ever met was Bob Hope! Met him twice in a one week period, and then a year later I got to go to his show and he remembered me (in Chu Lai). The first two times I was put on the chair stacking detail when I was a new guy. He came down off the stage and shook our hands. Wanted to know where you were from and all about your family. Always a hero in my book!
gary

I saw him once on TV, and I'm pretty sure I saw him in Vietnam. Still never spoke with him. J.T. Ward (or is it J.D. Ward) was sniper on road clearing OP's up by Hawk Hill (a little north of Tam Key) with a buddy of mine. I met Stinson a couple times (SOG and Phoenix OG), and Gritz once. Most important guy I ever met was Bob Hope! Met him twice in a one week period, and then a year later I got to go to his show and he remembered me (in Chu Lai). The first two times I was put on the chair stacking detail when I was a new guy. He came down off the stage and shook our hands. Wanted to know where you were from and all about your family. Always a hero in my book!
gary

I never was close to any of the USO tours. Always in the bush or home as we called it. A guy in my platoon was the brother of Don Maynard, a receiver of the Jets Football era. Funny how things long forgotten keep popping up in the mind. Long gone but still there also.

No big names to speak of for me. Just as well because all is passed now. No need to be sorry or feel left out. That place was and always will be a bad dream for me. So many did not make it back to the world as we did. For this I am sorry. War is such a waste of material and more important, Men. They are just names on a wall to many. They will always to me be my Brothers.

I never was close to any of the USO tours. Always in the bush or home as we called it. A guy in my platoon was the brother of Don Maynard, a receiver of the Jets Football era. Funny how things long forgotten keep popping up in the mind. Long gone but still there also.

No big names to speak of for me. Just as well because all is passed now. No need to be sorry or feel left out. That place was and always will be a bad dream for me. So many did not make it back to the world as we did. For this I am sorry. War is such a waste of material and more important, Men. They are just names on a wall to many. They will always to me be my Brothers.

I hit Cam Rhan Bay on Dec. 7th, and it was 113 degrees on the run way. When I left Ft. Lewis it was 23 degrees! Had this red sand blowing everywhere, and I was scared to death! The next day they put me on the detail setting up the chairs for the Bob Hope show. Three days later I was in Chu Lai, and it was about 85 degrees with a light mist in the air. Got put on the same detail. They don't do USO shows out west! Do they? Press corp and photographers don't go out west much either. Guess they didn't have much taste for warm beer and cold ham and lima beans. Never liked them anyway!
gary

New to quality/semi custom rifles and looking for a new hunting rifle for around $1500(rifle only no glass). I have been looking at Tikka t3, Savage, and Vanguard which are all<$1000. But I am curious what better quality options are out there, and if the extra cost for a Weatherby mark v for instance is worth it? It will be a long action, either 300 win mag or toying with the idea of a hot 6.5 caliber(6.5x284 or 264 win mag for example), used for deer and elk. Want a decently light gun with the longer 26 in barrel for accuracy but be able to pack all day.

Need your help knowing what brand has the best quality setup and what brand to avoid that the extra expense won't be worth it. Also any input on the caliber choices is welcome.

Quade, I just received an email from Stocky's Stocks. They have the M-40 stock on sale with free shipping too I think. $249.00 is about as good as it gets if you plan on a do it yourself LR rifle. Good luck on your rifle plan. Hoping for a good report in the near future from you.
..... LARRY

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.