Need help for next hunting rifle <$2000

QQQQQ

New to quality/semi custom rifles and looking for a new hunting rifle for around $1500(rifle only no glass). I have been looking at Tikka t3, Savage, and Vanguard which are all<$1000. But I am curious what better quality options are out there, and if the extra cost for a Weatherby mark v for instance is worth it? It will be a long action, either 300 win mag or toying with the idea of a hot 6.5 caliber(6.5x284 or 264 win mag for example), used for deer and elk. Want a decently light gun with the longer 26 in barrel for accuracy but be able to pack all day.

Need your help knowing what brand has the best quality setup and what brand to avoid that the extra expense won't be worth it. Also any input on the caliber choices is welcome.

From my experience, and in my opinion, the Wby MKV rifles are overpriced for what you get...Especially the Accumarks. You can get a Vanguard Sub-MOA for half of what a MK-5 cost. And the Vanguard comes with a Sub-MOA guarantee, and the MKV comes with a laughable 1.5 MOA guarantee at 100 yards...And twice the pricetag because of the fancy stock, "quality" barrel and janky trigger. The only part of a MKV that is worth any money over a Vanguard, is the MKV action itself. They are big, heavy, and really strong, but unless you're shooting a cartridge bigger than a .338 RUM, then that really isn't worth noting.

For around your pricetag, look into the Coopers. They can even build you whatever you want, if they don't have it in stock. I have no personal experience with them, but I have heard all good things about the company, their guns, and their customer service. I also do not know if they offer an accuracy guarantee, but I have seen targets shot by the rifles that left the factory (Cooper used to send a test-target that was shot by that particular rifle in the box with the gun ) and they were quite impressive.

For $1,500, you could also buy a cheap Remington 700 SPS for a donor rifle for building a custom out of, and using just the action and bottom metal mag assembly. Have a gunsmith blueprint it, an aftermarket barrel and trigger installed, and put it into a custom stock, and you would have an excellent shooter built to your specs, and in whatever cailber you want.

Gotta side with Mudrunner on Weatherby. I bought a Mk V Accumark in WM 338-378 and the only Wby part left is the action. I've re-barreled and re-stocked it. It's a great rifle now, but it's got twice the original high price I paid for it into it. I'm not worldly enough in the rifle world to steer you somewhere else, but I can certainly steer you clear of a stock Weatherby unless you're mod crazy.

Thanks for the advice. Weatherby is out. Now I just need some direction as were to look now.

I don't know what you consider lite weight. But rem 700 long range for 700 bucks. Plenty of money for optics left over. Bare gun weighs 9 lbs. I pack it all time and doesn't bother me. Got bipod leupold scope so I guess total weight for my rifle is around 11 lbs. Has shot 1/2 moa groups with different factory loads and with a couple reloads I've put together so far. Farthest I've shot it was 950 yards but couldn't check the groups cause the rock face was not accessible.

morning, buy a rem. 700 or 721 action and build ur own. I am building a 340wbee

rem. 721 action, shilen 30" varmit contour barrel timmey trigger. H&S precision

stock, action and barrel squared, stock bedded. price right at $2000. shop and buy

the components urself, u will have one of ur life time.

all this bad mouthing about wbee's. I have 4. 2 custom made and 1 accu-mark

340wbee and 1 7mm wbee. the to stock wbee;s shoot great. my favorite is the

340wbee. outstanding accuracy. barnes MRX Bullets. the best. the 7mm will

have a new hart barrel varmit contour. these builds r little on the heavy side

im 70, the confidence in the rifle and the round make the rifle easy to carry.

food for thought.

lie member NRA_TSRAlightbulb

Thanks for the advice. Weatherby is out. Now I just need some direction as were to look now.

I own three MK.V's. A 270 mag, and two 30-06's. All shoot 3/4" five shot groups or less. I'd like better groups, but that's what I got. So be it! They all are as shipped, and have not had anything ever done to them period (not even the trigger). The 270 mag will probably be a .60 shooter with somebody else shooting it. Never done any serious load development with the two 30 caliber rifles. On the otherhand I have a Vanguard (about 1976 manufacturer), and it shoots 3/4" groups off a cold barrel and factory Remington ammo. Not touting them, or even calling them out. I might add here that my MK.V's are U.S. built rifles (Maine), and the most I spent was just under $600 new in the box.

I'm a big Vanguard fan, and it's also not a secret. Tikka's are nice, but have no desire for one. Have never owned a Savage light barreled hunting rifle, but have friends that shoot them. They all seem to like them, and their groups all run under 3/4". I'd rather have a Vanguard with a .47" case head. A magnum would be a MK.V. without a second thought. Just me I know, but have had many rifles go thru my safe over the years.

A Weatherby is built as a cold bore gun. Not ever built for one shot right after another, and that's the way you shoot a hunting rifle. I've seen exactly two AccuMarks in my lifetime. Both were either 30/378 or .338/378, and both were 3/4"rifles. I thought they were a complete waste of money, and would do nothing better than a good .300 mag or 340 mag. Yet I wouldn't consider a .300 Win mag even if it were $250 in a MK.V.
gary

Out of the box you won't beat a savage long range hunter for accuracy. But it's a Savage...

The T3 if you have an aversion to Savage.

I wouldn't touch a Remington unless you have $1200 laying around to replace everything but the action and that'll need to be trued. Been there, done it.

.......I wouldn't touch a Remington unless you have $1200 laying around to replace everything but the action and that'll need to be trued. Been there, done it.......................

Even their biggest fans start by replacing parts.

There are some good buys in Classified section.

I've bought 2 of the Tikka's in 2 years, and have been happy. .223, and a .260. The .223 was great from the box, the .260 some minor bedding issues, but working well now. Never played with one, chambered in a longer case, or magnum. A friend has one in .338 that's worked out well.

Magazine's are expensive if you're prone to losing them.

Out of the box you won't beat a savage long range hunter for accuracy. But it's a Savage...

The T3 if you have an aversion to Savage.

I wouldn't touch a Remington unless you have $1200 laying around to replace everything but the action and that'll need to be trued. Been there, done it.

I disagree... I've built 5 Remingtons in the last 2 years, and they all use factory actions, factory bolts, factory BDL setups, and have only been blueprinted... Most even have worked-over factory barrels, and they all shoot .5" or better 5-shot groups at 100. I have WAY less than that in each one of them.

If I was a betting man, I would say that over the years of reading negative posts about Remington 700's, that most of them WOULD start to shoot good with minimal work...If that work was properly done. My gunsmith has proved this to me over and over again with the rifles he builds me. And I've seen plenty of them that only needed tailored handloads, and bedding and floating.

..........For $1,500, you could also buy a cheap Remington 700 SPS for a donor rifle for building a custom out of, and using just the action and bottom metal mag assembly. Have a gunsmith blueprint it, an aftermarket barrel and trigger installed, and put it into a custom stock, and you would have an excellent shooter built to your specs, and in whatever cailber you want.

I must have misunderstood. Sorry

I must have misunderstood. Sorry

Nice attempt...

The reason I mentioned a full build, is the likelihood a factory rifle is not offered in the chambering the OP is wanting. And, if he has $1,500 to burn, why not put an aftermarket barrel on it in the contour, length, and the highest probability for accuracy he is looking for. lightbulb

If you like tinkering with guns, like I do, then you can learn how to make a factory gun shoot, unless the barrel is torched, or the barrel is too out of spec...There are those instances that you will never be able to get a barrel to shoot. This even happens on occasion with aftermarket barrel blanks... Anything man-made has the potential for error...Because people aren't perfect, and tools wear out and get dull or damaged. Ask any gunsmith, and if he's been doing it long enough, he'll be honest with you, and tell you that a lemon does happen on occasion...Even with the high-dollar aftermarket blanks. Nothing is guaranteed.

I disagree... I've built 5 Remingtons in the last 2 years, and they all use factory actions, factory bolts, factory BDL setups, and have only been blueprinted... Most even have worked-over factory barrels, and they all shoot .5" or better 5-shot groups at 100. I have WAY less than that in each one of them.

If I was a betting man, I would say that over the years of reading negative posts about Remington 700's, that most of them WOULD start to shoot good with minimal work...If that work was properly done. My gunsmith has proved this to me over and over again with the rifles he builds me. And I've seen plenty of them that only needed tailored handloads, and bedding and floating.
I guess it comes down to "building" a factory Remington or pulling a Savage out of the box, put a scope on it, and enjoy sub moa groups.

When you blueprint a action and Lapp the barrel. They are no longer a "out of the box" rifles.

I am open to either option. I just don't know any gun builders in south east Idaho, any body have recommendations?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.