Need Guidance on LR rifle

bplumcrazy

I am wanting to get into LR shooting and hunting big game.
Current Guns:
25-06 Remington 700 on Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole stock (Pillar and action bedded by me)
270wsm Sako 85 greywolf
I think I will need something bigger than my 270 for big game, what would you recommend?
So since I need another rifle which route to go, should I get a custom rifle built right off the bat or should I just get a 700 or savage and build it up over time as I get better at farther distances?

Thanks for your time

I am wanting to get into LR shooting and hunting big game.
Current Guns:
25-06 Remington 700 on Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole stock (Pillar and action bedded by me)
270wsm Sako 85 greywolf
I think I will need something bigger than my 270 for big game, what would you recommend?
So since I need another rifle which route to go, should I get a custom rifle built right off the bat or should I just get a 700 or savage and build it up over time as I get better at farther distances?

Thanks for your time

Lots of opinions on this and they are all right. You kind of answered your own question other than the caliber. With the stuff that you have on hand now I would say a 30 or 338. Do you want factory chamber? How much do you want to spend? Full on custom rifles are just a bit nicer to drive.

We have our manufacture dealers license now and if I can help you find what you are looking for let me know. Email me at [email protected]

Steve

I really don't care if its a factory chamber, I just started reloading and I'm hooked lol... I guess the caliber will help determine if I need a custom or not... as far as price goes I'm a fond believer of you get what u pay for so 5k doesn't scare me

I really don't care if its a factory chamber, I just started reloading and I'm hooked lol... I guess the caliber will help determine if I need a custom or not... as far as price goes I'm a fond believer of you get what u pay for so 5k doesn't scare me

That puts you square in the realm of full custom. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. Being willing to go wildcat, I personally think the 30 and 338 Lapua improved are the best thing you can do on a conventional action. They will get you well into the 3000's fps with big bullets. Top of the food chain.

Steve

I don't have a 270 WSM, but lots of guys on here shoot the 165 Matrix. Suppose to kill elk very good. Be worth a try to see how your gun likes them if you have enough twist.

I'm gonna read up on the ballistics of the 3 and try to come to a decision.......or just get 1 of each lol

For real world results and successes on .300 Win Mag, do a custom query on the top right hand corner for "BROZ Berger 215/230".
just finished reading all 57 pages and it convinced me that the 300 win is what I should pick. with that said it also got me thinking about wind drift, like I said I'm new to the long range scene so my calculations on crossing wind speed will not be as accurate as someone like BROZ (he came up with all of the shooting solutions in that thread). So my question is how much advantage does the 338 have over the various 300 cartridges if I'm off on wind speed.

just finished reading all 57 pages and it convinced me that the 300 win is what I should pick. with that said it also got me thinking about wind drift, like I said I'm new to the long range scene so my calculations on crossing wind speed will not be as accurate as someone like BROZ (he came up with all of the shooting solutions in that thread). So my question is how much advantage does the 338 have over the various 300 cartridges if I'm off on wind speed.

Depends on the bc of the bullet, and the muzzle velocity in relationship to the distance of the target. There are a lot of variables to look at. How much does max point blank range mean to you and your style of hunting? Recoil? Rifle weight? With all those variables in mind, I firmly believe that you can not be over gunned for hunting. Depending on the purpose of the hunt you can certainly be under gunned.

As a rule the bigger and faster the cartridge the better it will work in adverse conditions. You just have to weigh out the gives and takes. The bigger and faster you go the more you have to pay to play. I think about going to smaller calibers and lighter rifles and I always find myself drawn back to the big guys.

I just turned 50 and I have been working on the 30-30 and trying to create a bullet that will make it a solid 300 yard rifle with peep sites. It is so nice and light.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.