Need a little guidance

philsummers21

Ok first post i know. But ive read and read and read. I allready own a Kimber 8400 Classic in a 7mmWSM and have used it for a few years and like the rifle. I have it setup with just a leupold VX3 4-14x50 and take shots up to 600 yards with it now. Im usually bow hunting as rifle hunting isnt what it used to be but the Long Range shots are getting my attention. Will be hunting Deer, Moose, Elk, and Antelope. Live in wyoming where there is wind. Would like to be able to punch out to 1000 yards or so. So question is can i make this rifle work for that or should i keep this one as it is and start over fresh. Also what bullets are people using for the longer shots and whats Definatly not working. So point me in the right direction please on whats needed, New barrel? Stock? Trigger? i know scope, was looking into the Nightforce. Anyways thanks in advance.

Ok first post i know. But ive read and read and read. I allready own a Kimber 8400 Classic in a 7mmWSM and have used it for a few years and like the rifle. I have it setup with just a leupold VX3 4-14x50 and take shots up to 600 yards with it now. Im usually bow hunting as rifle hunting isnt what it used to be but the Long Range shots are getting my attention. Will be hunting Deer, Moose, Elk, and Antelope. Live in wyoming where there is wind. Would like to be able to punch out to 1000 yards or so. So question is can i make this rifle work for that or should i keep this one as it is and start over fresh. Also what bullets are people using for the longer shots and whats Definatly not working. So point me in the right direction please on whats needed, New barrel? Stock? Trigger? i know scope, was looking into the Nightforce. Anyways thanks in advance.

First off welcome to LRH!
I live in Gillette.
What kind of groups are you getting on average @ 600 and 1,000 yards with current your set-up from field positions?
Your scope is enough magnification for 1K game.
I use VX-3", Mark 4's, NXS, and Huskemaw.
On my Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 FFP I have the Holland ART Reticle-Really like it. Gives me the versatility to use the reticle quickly or dial if I so choose too.
Deer and antelope the Berger 168 and the 180 work good and also the 162 A-Max is a possibility. Never hunted moose, but would use the 168 or 180 Berger for elk.
Not sure if the Jewel will work with the Kimber???

If looking at 1K elk/moose, I would consider a larger 7mm or a 338.

Never tried a 1000yd shot with setup as it is. Try to keep them closer to 300 or so while actually hunting. Did take an antelope at 550. When i shoot 600 its at a small paper plate. Can hit a clay pigeon at 500 usually in 2 shots. Right now the gun is zereod at 300 then its just hold over past that. Im willing to keep this gun as it is and buy a whole new setup. would like to be effective at elk around 1000 if not a little further if my confidence level went up. So you think a 338 would be better at that distance for elk? Also i live pretty close to you in Sheridan.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.