Need Guidance on LR rifle

"I just turned 50 and I have been working on the 30-30 and trying to create a bullet that will make it a solid 300 yard rifle with peep sites."

I like that idea!

just finished reading all 57 pages and it convinced me that the 300 win is what I should pick. with that said it also got me thinking about wind drift, like I said I'm new to the long range scene so my calculations on crossing wind speed will not be as accurate as someone like BROZ (he came up with all of the shooting solutions in that thread). So my question is how much advantage does the 338 have over the various 300 cartridges if I'm off on wind speed.

Jeff (BROZ) is one of the LRH members here that I look up to with utmost respect. I'm pretty sure he'll agree that what he is able to accomplished did not happen overnight. He put in serious range time and nearly a lifetime of dedication in constantly improving himself and his equipment (rifle set-up, precision reloading, rangefinder, ballistic software, weather station, and other shooting augmentation system) for his love of LRH. Having said that enjoy the learning process and go from there.

The .338 (not in .338 WM but the likes of .338 RUM, .338 EDGE, .338 LM, etc ...) has a static BC advantage over the .308 (in .300 WM, .300 WBTY, etc...) when propelled accordingly. Properly reading the wind and make necessary adjustments (from shooter to POI) and will always post a challenge regardless.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.