Need a new slug gun

0225001455.jpg

Here is my 3 shot group at 100 yards

Make sure you check out Nikonhunting.com, then click on the Spot On web site.
There you can print out all the distances for your BDC scope at different magnifications.
It will make that slug gun much more effective. Who would have thought 15 years ago slug guns would be printing 1.5 in. 100 yard groups? Most of my friends that shotgun deer hunted used smoothbores and never shot over 50 yards. A far cry from todays dedicated shotgun hunters.
Nikon has a SlugHunter scope with BDC reticle that lets you shoot to 200 yards!
Thank goodness it usually only takes one hit from these slugs to bring down whatever you are shooting at.

Finally getting a chance to take my T/C SlugHunter out into the field.
Hopefully a Ks. Whitetail will come within range and let me use my Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC. Already checked out ballistics on the Spot On website for my Winchester Ammo. Pics on the way, hopefully!

For what it is worth, I hunt with 3 buddies and we all use 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug guns. Our group hunts NJ, Delaware, and Maryland every year. Last year we accounted for 13 deer. In Maryland we hunt a farm that has a number of fields bordered by woods. I usually set my treestand up in the corner of this one particular field where some fairly long shots are possible, consequently, I use a Nikon Rangefinder when hunting that field. Last season I took a small 8 point at a ranged 154 yds. The buck dropped where it stood. My Ultra Slug gun prefers 3 inch Federal Hydra Shok sabot slugs but of our group, no two Ultra Slug guns prefer the same sabot slugs. You just have to try them all to see which your gun prefers. You should also add a LimbSaver recoil pad to your gun as those 3 inch sabots do kick a bit.

All four of us switched to 3x9 Nikon Slughunter scopes before last season. What great optics. I love the BDS reticule and the clarity.

Good luck with whichever slug gun you choose. There are a number of good ones out there. Just don't get hung-up on the need for multiple shots because after the first shot, the deer is usually either down or gone!

OldB, Thanks for the rely. I used T/C Encore with a rifled slug barrel and harvested a Ks. doe this year. 1 shot stop. I was not surprised what a wallop it delivers. I also used a Nikon RifleHunter 1000 rangefinder. For my shot that was under 100 yards it was a pretty easy with Nikon's SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC 200 and a Winchester Sabot.
I am sure that now that I am sighted in I won't be taking that scope off anyinme soon.
I have let a few buddies blast away at the range and the worst shooter averaged about 4 in. at 100 yards, of course none of by buddies would shoot more then 3 shots!
I am very impressed with the T/C's accuracy and how easy the SlugHunter scope makes it to fully realize the potential of rifle and ammo.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/bartndoesluggun2010.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.