New Savage 220 Slug Gun

Discussion in 'Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting' started by turkn8r1, Dec 26, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. turkn8r1

turkn8r1 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a new Savage 220 slug gun. I live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi but have the opportunity to deer hunt in northern Indiana each year. Though I can use a rifle and I consider myself to be a safe and aware hunter the places we hunt (private land ) do not present many if any safe long shots. I decided to go to a bolt action slug gun and will be sending it off to TARHUNT for their #2 upgrade. Going with a BOYD'S At-One stock and a rail but haven't decided on rings and glass though I haven't really started thinking much about it and have plenty of time. I do intend to scope it temporarily and see what it will do so I will know if the upgrade actually does anything. Looking forward to the new project.

2. Dcoll

Dcoll Active Member

I live in NJ and have taken a few trips on gun hunts in Illinois. These are both states that do not allow rifles. I have been using a Remington 870 but have been strongly considering a Savage 220. I am left handed, so availability is tough. I have heard lots of good reviews overall about the 220 with the exception of the stock.

I have also looked into the Tarhunt barrel upgrades. I have heard it’s not a significant improvement over factory barrel. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Also would like to hear what scope and rings you go with as I have heard many different suggestions. Good luck with the project and any information you pass along will be appreciated.

3. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

Try shooting it with Remington Accutips sabots before you spend a lot of money, mine will hold .75 moa groups at 200 yards.
    All I did was lighten the trigger by swapping the trigger spring with the accutrigger spring then put half a ink pin spring in place of the accutrigger spring.( standard and mandatory operation for ALL of my Savage rifles)

Greyfox and Rick Richard like this.
  4. turkn8r1

turkn8r1 Well-Known Member

Im hoping the new barrel will do better as it has a different twist and is heavier. This is just a project actually as I have a pro hunter 20 ga slug that is a shooter and a winchester pump slug 12 gauge that is a shooter. I,m just having a little fun and seeing where it leads. I will update after the conversion which will be at least mid year.

sika64 likes this.
  5. biged57

biged57 Well-Known Member

Love mine use it in Ohio shoots lights out with Remington Accutips.

6. 460 magnum

460 magnum Well-Known Member

I have taken 3 deer at and over 200 yards (none of them ran out of sight before they went down) with my savage 220 topped with a Nikon slug hunter 3x9 BDC shooting 3inch Federal trophy copper's (which are getting hard to find locally) These things just flat out shoot.

mfk likes this.
  7. 59FLH

59FLH Member

Agreed, 3" Accutips shoot best, be mindful of the front base screw I used Weaver & Leup and both had screws to long, it caused accuracy problems until I figured it out.

460 magnum likes this.
  8. Dcoll

Dcoll Active Member

I picked up my Savage 220 this week. Had to wait for a left handed model. I plan to put a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on it. What base / ring combination is everyone using? I am not a big fan of one piece rail style mounts. I was hoping to use 2 piece Talley mounts, but would like to hear what has worked well for others.

9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

DNZ one piece mount which is what I have on mine.

10. 59FLH

59FLH Member

I use Leopold dual dovetail bases with a combo of off set rings

11. mfk

mfk Well-Known Member

WOW. Those are incredible groupings from a shotgun. What is your shotgun tbrice23?

12. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

Savage 220 bolt action slug gun...not sure if it classifies as a shot gun. I'd never shoot turkey loads in it.

mfk likes this.