thinking of getting new slug gun

turk870

was hunting yest.missed a monster(no fault to the accuracy of the gun)but went to bolt in another round and you guessed it jam.it dosent happen all the time but enough to be a problem.plus this thing is fun to load as well.it is the savage 12ga.
was wondering if the 20ga has the same problems or have they fixed it.
also if anyone has any experience with a 870 dsg from tarhunt(I have an 870 I could have them conevert)haven't been able to find out if they are as accurate as the savages or at least close

I have been considering the same things, this season. I set up one of the new savage 220f slug hunters for a buddy last season. We went with a Leopold scope egw rings and bases. Tried a variety of different slugs and settled on 2 3/4 federal with Barnes bullets. It literally shot a raged hole from the bench at 100 yards, we were out of slugs to test the gun at 200 yards. He ended up, taking a nice little buck with it at 75 yards.

So after that, I was considering one for myself, either that or getting a cantilever barrel for my 1187, but at the cost of that barrel and a scope I could get another gun. Another option at least for me a a smokeless muzzle loader, either a savage or an encore with an aftermarket barrel. With the amount of shotguns I already own it seams like the smokeless muzzleloader is a better option for me at least as the county I hunt is shotgun or muzzleloader only for long guns. I have a long range pistol, but it's useless for most of the season.

I have no experience with the tar hunt. I have not seen any issues with feeding in the 220 my brother has used for several years now. The smokeless muzzleloaders are great but if I have the option to carry my sx3 12 ga autoloader with 3" partition golds it is a no brainer. They hit so much harder, recoil isn't too bad with the sx3 and feeding issues are non existent. Extremely fast follow up shots. I have not seen enough gain in accuracy to warrant the bolt guns over the autoloaders. These guns are ballistically handicapped. Out to 300 yards how much does another 1/2 moa really help? Range can be extended with the smokeless muzzleloaders but you are sacrificing reliability and followup shots.

From what I have heard the biggest problem is user not functioning the bolt all the way back on the slug guns. I would recommend buy two snap cap rounds and create some muscle memory buy practicing reloading. I know no one wants to admit it but even my 870 slug gun has jammed because of me short stoking it. See if your problem can be resolved with that. And as for tar hunt Remington makes a new 870 that really mimics the tarhunt pinned barrel and such. Sorry yote but there is a huge difference in accuracy from autos to slug guns. I have many of both each have good and bad points but if you want accuracy you want savage, tarhunt, or HR slughunter.

From what I have heard the biggest problem is user not functioning the bolt all the way back on the slug guns. I would recommend buy two snap cap rounds and create some muscle memory buy practicing reloading. I know no one wants to admit it but even my 870 slug gun has jammed because of me short stoking it. See if your problem can be resolved with that. And as for tar hunt Remington makes a new 870 that really mimics the tarhunt pinned barrel and such. Sorry yote but there is a huge difference in accuracy from autos to slug guns. I have many of both each have good and bad points but if you want accuracy you want savage, tarhunt, or HR slughunter.

You can add the CVA Scout slug gun to that list. Mine shoots sub 3/4 moa groups out to 160 yards.

you must work the bolt on the savage shotguns, 12 or 20ga. if you find the action to be rough you can lap the bolt and bolt rails that will help and improve the smoothness, won't be like a SAKO but it will be better then from the factory. Mine is topped off with a Leupold VX-II, 3-9x40, with DNZ #18200 mounts.

My friend had his 870 12ga worked by Tar-Hunt (3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy), at the time I was hunting with my 1187, 12ga. nothing done to it (rifled/cantilever barrel with Leupold VX-II, 3-9x40) we both used the same ammo Lightfield EXP 2-3/4" My gun out shot his by a long shot, even the target supplied by Tar-Hunt from them shooting it after working the gun with the Lightfield EXP didn't even come close to mine. I wouldn't spend money on a Tar-Hunt gun or a re-work gun by them.....well overpriced. He missed a really nice buck in Illinois at 70yds., I took that buck a few minutes later we used a range finder and it ranged 102 yds ......... Now I love the 220f, he wants to buy this shotgun from me......UMMMMM NO !!!!

I have a Browning BPS Slug gun I really like and it has killed a few deer at ranges in the 100yd to 150 yd. I have a good supply of the old lead sabots that Winchester and Federal made years ago and it will shoot one inch groups at 100yds with open sights. The barrel on the BPS dove tails into the top of the receiver and locks up nicely .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.