Need A Long Range 6.5 Caliber

Well you sure can ruins a guys day...I had a .280 that I lost in a divorce, but still have the dies and some brass. I already have two 7mm RM and of course the dies for it too...

I want to stay on the standard bolt face and want to stay with soomething that will feed fine out of the .270 or 30-06 mag well...I know where one of each is that I can get for $200.00 from a pawn shop. So 7mag is out...runs more powder too!

I really like the 264wm. I don't have a break on the one I just finished in time for deer season. I can shoot it free recoil without it hitting me in the face so I know it is not a heavy hitter, but we are back to magnum powder charges and I don't want to feed it quite that much...

I know nothing about the SS calibers, so that will need some research...but dies and brass costs might come into pay...pre-fit barrel is most likely not available too. I'm not sure about the bolt face too...feed issues.

Looks like I.m back to 6.5-06 (high on list) or 6.5x284 with the 280 possible...I just don't think there is anything else in their class!

Sorry

280 ai
Or 280 ss.
But since you have the others...I'm just telling you what you already know lol

Good old fashion plain Jane .260 rem or 6.5/06 sound about perfect for ya...both are easy to make shoot,no brass issues forever and mild recol and decent velocity..

While there are lots good cartridges to choose from, for the "lazer" performance and other criteria you desire, Imy choice would be the 6.5x284 in a long action. The 6.5x47L would be my choice in a short action.

I built a rig that is exactly what you're talking about 2.5 years ago ...

I chose:
- Savage 10
- 260 Rem Ackley (see more below on why I like this)
- Barrel is from Jim Walters (pm me for contact info if you want it)
- SS / 1:8 twist / 27" finished / .7 at muzzle / threaded 5/8x24tpi
- Accutrigger with aftermarket (lighter) spring yielding 1.5lb pull
- B&C m40 stock
- EGW base (0 moa currently)
- SWFA 5-20 in NF rings (I have far more in glass/mounts than rifle)

I use Berger 140 hunting VLDs for both range and hunting (1st deer this year with it - very effective) and if I were to go for 1 mile, I would switch to the Hornady ELD-M 147g.

My muzzle velocity is right at 2900fps with the berger 140's and I'm using H414 (meters SO nice) in the "mid 40's grain range" so it is not a powder hog like a 264 mag.

I get groups in the .3's and .4's at 100 always (legitimate 5 shot groups) ... no worries hitting 2.5" sledge hammer faces at 400yards and we ring the 12" gong at 1000 consistently (albeit less when the wind is howling ;) )

Don't be too hung up on the barrel if it isn't for competition ... ANY aftermarket barrel will shoot awesome as long as it is chambered well. I have 3 different barrels now from Jim Walters and all are shooters. 1 of them did have to go back due to a chamber problem - he replaced the barrel altogether since he was not able to merely fix the issue and he wasn't cool with a band-aid fix either. Clinched my confidence in his commitment to ensure quality/satisfaction.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a fixed 10x SWFA on this rig ... and ... I have used choate's ultimate varmint in the past on my 6mmBR and it was the most accurate rig I've ever owned with consistent groups in the .2's

Regarding my choice of 260 AI ... plenty of folks will say they like this and plenty will poo poo it ... the reality is, if you don't handload, it is off the table. If you do (and I assume you do since you have 200 pieces of 6.5CM brass ready to go) then you gain some advantages. The 40 degree shoulder means your brass will last longer and you'll likely never have to trim your cases. In addition, many folks gripe about the "custom dies" but I use 260 REM dies from Lee (the set with the collet sizer) to neck size and seat and bought 1 full length sizing die (redding) for when I need to put them back at the shoulder and walls. Very cost effective and very, very accurate.

One of the other gripes people mention is fireforming and the 'hassle' and/or 'cost' ... well, i just loaded up 100 using 260 data and used them to do my break in and some target shooting and some groundhog hunting ... it was a hoot and I was shocked to get 5 shot groups smaller than .75" with velocity in the 2600fps+ range (i.e. creedmoor/6.5x47/260 rem velocities). When I was done with them they were all ready for development, my barrel was broken in properly and I had already gotten my "entertainment" value of the cost of my barrel!

A couple of remaining advantages on the 260 AI vs. the 'others' ... 308 brass is EVERYWHERE in essentially limitless supply ... neck size down and turn necks you have free brass ... or ... I just bought Lapua 260 brass and all my extra 308 is just sitting around. Also - I have found the 260AI to be the perfect balance of Lazer "enough" without burning through lbs of powder and/or burning out throats. On top of all that, if you had to, you can still shoot factory off the shelf 260 Rem ammo with surprisingly good accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with the standard 260 stuff and I'm still getting the ballistics of the CM/Lapua/Rem 6.5's.

I just think the 260 AI is one of the "best blends" of performance, cost, practicality, accuracy and FUN of them all - especially if you might prefer to stick with a short action to eek out that little bit of extra accuracy potential.

Whatever you choose ... you will have a blast and it will become one of your favorite rifles just because of how you are approaching it!

Good luck and if you need a Choate Ultimate Varmint (4.27" screw spacing) and/or an SWFA 10x ... let me know ... I have both on my shelf not being used.

Cheers!
Tim

6.5saum in short action, stay with. 081 free bore for mag loading. Or go 6.5x284 norma in long action. Your 6.5-06 does what the norma does, the saum will go another 150-200 fps faster in equal barrel lengths. I REALLY like my 6.5 saum.

Use of new build/rifle will be non competition steel and paper...fun gun...but could go into the woods if the right location pops up. The range I shoot at the most is 600 yards, but I have a friend that lives fairly close that has a spot we can shoot to nearly 1500 yards.

I know there will never be a 3K or 4K+ custom built rifle in my safe...but I would like to have a rifle that shoot well enough people think it cost that much! LOL

I know there is a ton of factors that go into making a choice on caliber so here is my caliber criteria;

Manageable recoil
Cost effective to shoot...brass biggest concern
Shoot more like a lazer than artillery shot

Now the rifle end...I'm going to use a LA Flat Back Savage receiver. They are very inexpensive and there plenty around the Houston area. Barrel, going to try to build this my self so the barrel will need to be a Savage pre-fit at least .850 at the muzzle, 1:8 twist and I prefer stainless. I'm in no real rush so I can save up to get the best bang for buck on the barrel. Most likely use a Choate stock because they are inside my price range. Scope will be SWFA, most likely fixed power...again staying within my budget. The bulk of the money will be in a barrel I think...

Back to the caliber...is there really, staying with the 6.5, a more accurate chambering? Is the 6.5x284 the most accurate 6.5 caliber out there? I want to utilize the LA so I'm not planning to do a 6.5 Creedmore even though I already have 200 pieces of brass...ok I might still but I really prefer something a little faster, but don't want it to be a powder hog like a 26 Nosler.

I like to keep the components on the reasonable side too...being cheap I tend to want to go with one of my existing calibers 6.5-06 or 264wm, but the dies really are a one time purchase. So I'm still open to something I don't already have.

Topics of discussion are caliber and who's Savage pre-fit barrel????

6.5x55 on modern action with good bbl is hard to beat

Another vote for the 6.5-06,but in a 1-7 twist for the Berger 155 gr pills. I built one several years ago off an old Savage 110 FLP action,and screwed a 1-8 twist 26" McGowen barrel on it. Then spent a couple weeks finishing a Boyd's LH thumbhole stock for it.
I bought up all the old Sierra 160 gr Pro Hunter bullets I could find,and that's all I shoot out of it. (Until I run out of them). It's a deer killing machine!

I built a rig that is exactly what you're talking about 2.5 years ago ...

I chose:
- Savage 10
- 260 Rem Ackley (see more below on why I like this)
- Barrel is from Jim Walters (pm me for contact info if you want it)
- SS / 1:8 twist / 27" finished / .7 at muzzle / threaded 5/8x24tpi
- Accutrigger with aftermarket (lighter) spring yielding 1.5lb pull
- B&C m40 stock
- EGW base (0 moa currently)
- SWFA 5-20 in NF rings (I have far more in glass/mounts than rifle)

Good luck and if you need a Choate Ultimate Varmint (4.27" screw spacing) and/or an SWFA 10x ... let me know ... I have both on my shelf not being used.

Cheers!
Tim

Thanks Tim for taking the time to make such a great detailed post...I kind of forgot about the 260...worth thinking about for sure!

PM coming so watch your Inbox!

Thanks for the offer on the scope, but I really like the 16X I have...

6.5x55 on modern action with good bbl is hard to beat

mt,
I actually have one, but the barrel was cheap, on sale item ($95.00) from Midway USA. I'm building it for my Grandson. It still shoots really good...I had it in a temporary stock for breakin and making sure it feed ok...I plan to put a mesquite stock on it. I have 4 blanks...need to send two out but never seem to have the time.

My two choices would be 6.5 Sherman in the long action and a 6.5X47 in a short action. My RBROS 6.5X47 drives a 130 Berger just under 3000 fps and is a blast to shoot out to 1000 yds. My 6.5 Sherman will shoot a 140 Berger at 3339 fps out of a 28" Hart.

I would never expect 3300 from a 30-06 case that Sherman is a piece of work! That's 200pfs faster than Hodgdon's published data for the 26 Nosler. Are you using 30-06 lapua brass? That's got to be a hot load

My two choices would be 6.5 Sherman in the long action...... My 6.5 Sherman will shoot a 140 Berger at 3339 fps out of a 28" Hart.

Been looking around for some details about the case...nothing yet. I found an old here, but Photobucket is what they used to post picture...of course they are gone now...

Tim it is a max load in my gun. No heavy bolt lift or any marks on the brass at all. I ran this brass on five reloads before the primer pockets loosened. I have since dropped it by one grain to save my brass. I was using Nosler brass but hope to use Norma or RWS next time with the 147 ELD-M. There are many others on this site who have gotten 3300 plus out of the Sherman with R26 and N570. I use N570.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.