Need A Long Range 6.5 Caliber

6.5x55...the mother of all 6.5...the main reason it's not in my list of possible chamberings is brass. I traded for some military brass and cant pop the primers out. The flash hole is too small for the decap pin...nearly broke my decap pin trying to punch out a primer. I finally got a couple out and found that to be the issue.

At one point, I had a few battle packs of the M/41 ammo, all of which are Berdan primed. I wound up selling them and keeping a couple of individual boxes for posterity, and for comparing my own handholds to. There's a guy on GB who sells a Berdan de-capping tool. I looked at it briefly when I was working with the 7.5x55mm. It's probably just as well to try and trade any spent M/41 brass that you have off to someone who is set up to reload it, and move on to a modern commercial offering in that cartridge. There's so much of it available, and no special tooling or custom dies are required to reload for it. In the hands of a competent marksman, I would put this cartridge up against any other 6.5 and expect it to run neck and neck in terms of actual performance under normal hunting conditions. Some people may take exception to that comment, stating that "on paper" a different 6.5 yields better performance. A competent marksman will get the job done with whatever tool is handed to them. Give the top five PRS guys a modern Swede for a season and see what they can accomplish vs. any of the other 6.5 cartridges. They would all be plenty happy.

Rockfish,
Sounds very interesting but that is a few steps outside my criteria of "KISS".

There has beens a bunch of great calibers mentioned, some I'm sure would be more efficient but it is hard to not build another 6.5-06. I can't help but wonder how well much better it will be with a 1:8 or faster twist!

I really like the way my wife's shoot with 130gr bullets but the last range trip shooting at 600 yards it was very easy to see how the bullets BC makes a big difference. And I'm certain it will be even more evident out futher.

I will look at the numbers one last time at the 260 and 6.5x55...before I pull the trigger on the barrel...pun intended...lol

If you hand load it is: neck mandrel to expand to 6.5mm then a single pass through a full length sizing die.

The first firing gives great accuracy but the velocity spread isn't great. Good for intermediate distances. However, once fired rounds have single digit ES's. It has velocity, accuracy and consistency. These are great for my long range shooting. Add to that I use ordinary .243win Winchester brass.

It's not for everyone but I like it.

Last edited:
I used an old flat backed savage receiver as well for my 6.5 SAUM. It was a LA so I changed out the baffle on the bolt to the ones used for .223's. It effectively made it a short action...or a medium action. I used the WSM center feed mag box and set it in the stock to align with the shorter bolt throw. Put an Xcaliber barrel from Apache Gun Works on and it shoots great. I trued the action, bolt head and retimed it along with the installing a lift kit. It feels as great is it shoots.

We built two 6.5-06 rifles a few years ago. One on a Savage action and the other on M70. We sold the Savage but the owner reported it has killed 8 AZ coues in the past 3 years out to 780 yards. The one we kept has been equally impressive. My 11 y/o grandson dropped a bull elk last week with one shot at 530 yards using a 142gr LR Accubond. Didn't even take one step before dropping. I load it with 58.5gr Retumbo at 3050 fps. I worked up the load but have never had a chance to use it as someone else always borrows it. Also very light and easy to carry and has no brake/light recoil. I admit I generally use larger calibers on big game but the 6.5 fills a nice nich for those wanting less recoil and respectable down-field energy. I keep looking for a reason not to build a 6.5 WSM for a light pack rifle but am running out of reasons no to.

I have a 6.5 wsm and really like it. Just take 270wsm brass with a 263 bushing and it's sized. I am running 3080 with a 143. It's really easy on the brass and very accurate. I'm sure I can run a higher node, but it's very accurate and brass life is awesome. It's a 24" barrel also. Pretty similar to a 26" 264 win mag. Used a Tikka action and it feeds great.

.260AI or 6.5 Sherman. I have a .260AI with a 29" barrel and I shoot 140 VLD's at 3070 fps. I'm on my 12th reload of this brass (Lapua) and primer pockets are finally getting loose. Simple too, shoot factory ammo for brass or load .260 ammo and shoot it. My Redding 3 die set was $100 on sale. 6.5 Sherman is easy too, and standard bolt face. Run .270 brass through 6.5 Sherman dies, load it and shoot. 140's at 3300 fps.

I need someone to spell out the difference between the Sherman and 6.5-06...or have I missed it being posted...

6.5 Sherman is easy too, and standard bolt face. Run .270 brass through 6.5 Sherman dies, load it and shoot. 140's at 3300 fps.

I do the same thing with my 6.5-06?!?!?!?!?

These are your baby...whats the difference? I guess your doing something similar to a 6.5-06AI

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.