Wife’s long range caliber

Don't rule out a 6.5 PRC. I recently bought a Ridgeline because I did not have time to have a rifle built before my Coues hunt. Recoil with the brake is minimal and I can call my shots at 300 yards. I'm getting 3/4 MOA with Hornady ammo. Bought that due to time also and will use brass for handloads. Shot a nice buck at 630 yards. He went 10 yards and piled up. The Hornady 143 ELD-X are running 2970 out of my barrel after 60 rounds.
I know you are going to build a rifle for your wife and probably handload but just throwing out some info for you. I believe this round is here to stay with the factory support for rifles and ammo.

Thanks gents I'm probably going to go with a 6.5ss or a 260 AI. I think I'm gonna bump the barrel up to 24' and add a folding butt stock to the xlr to make it easier to pack. I have a good sidewinder brake from area 419 that I will have her use while practicing then pull it and re-zero before the hunt.

Something I didn't think about until now. I am running the 135's in my 22" PRC at 3090. A guy could slow that round down and reduce recoil with a light load and run something like h1000 or retumbo and keep the case full. I run AICS mags and at mag length the 135 is 80 thou off and shoots well. If she winds up being comfortable with more recoil, HUGE DIFFERENCE in 6BR and a PRC, then you can bump that round up to the higher velocities.

Something I didn't think about until now. I am running the 135's in my 22" PRC at 3090. A guy could slow that round down and reduce recoil with a light load and run something like h1000 or retumbo and keep the case full. I run AICS mags and at mag length the 135 is 80 thou off and shoots well. If she winds up being comfortable with more recoil, HUGE DIFFERENCE in 6BR and a PRC, then you can bump that round up to the higher velocities.

that's the type of info I was looking for! If I could get a 135-140 class bullet close to 3k out of a 20' barrel that's what I want. Yes I know it's a step up in recoil so I would be super careful with what I let her shoot load wise and would always be with a break except hunting of course

Thanks gents I'm probably going to go with a 6.5ss or a 260 AI. I think I'm gonna bump the barrel up to 24' and add a folding butt stock to the xlr to make it easier to pack. I have a good sidewinder brake from area 419 that I will have her use while practicing then pull it and re-zero before the hunt.
Get a 7.5 twist, and you can run the 156 in a 6.5, I use the 156 EOL in my .260 AI, and I have lots of load data for the .260 AI if you want to p.m. me....I run it at 2940 fps with a 29" barrel nearly 2 grains under max, which was just at or under 3000 fps, I talked with another guy with the same load that runs the 156 at 2740 fps in a 20" barrel, so a 24" would get you around 2850 fps or so with the 156, and that is plenty of energy to take anything y'all would hunt. A 6.5ss would push the same bullet around 3100 or better, either would do great, no bad options there.

Check out the howa mini action.
You could do a rebarrel on one of the action you mentioned in at 6.5 creedmoor. 20in would work light recoil good range.

The 156 is nasty. I've shot that out of a 6.5x284 out to 1200 on steel. My only concern is getting it to fit in a SA mag. What's your coal on the 260AI?

Check out the howa mini action.
You could do a rebarrel on one of the action you mentioned in at 6.5 creedmoor. 20in would work light recoil good range.

I like those mini actions but I'm trying to keep everything the same for her. With the bighorn it will just be a quick barrel/bolt face/mag swap.

I like those mini actions but I'm trying to keep everything the same for her. With the bighorn it will just be a quick barrel/bolt face/mag swap.
People miss the point of a thread all the time. Love my bighorn for the same reason. I have 3 heads, the action tool from BH, and it's easy to swap. Having 1 trigger and 1 chassis makes comfort and familiarity the ultimate.

I am looking at something similar for my wife. What is her length of pull. Does the xlr adjust down pretty short or did you have to modify

Thanks

Buck

I don't know her actual length of pull just adjusted it until it fit. Super adjustable for cant lop and cheek height

Do you know which generation xlr chassis it is

By the way I think I am going with the 6.5 creedmoor but I need a stock that fits and is not too heavy

Thanks

Buck

Do you know which generation xlr chassis it is

By the way I think I am going with the 6.5 creedmoor but I need a stock that fits and is not too heavy

Thanks

Buck
XLR Carbon and MPA Ultra light are both light options. I modified my MDT with folder and it's at 3lbs. Still heavier than I wanted but their folder is heavy duty and weighs 7 ounces alone.

IMG_9655.jpg
IMG_9815.jpg

The 156 is nasty. I've shot that out of a 6.5x284 out to 1200 on steel. My only concern is getting it to fit in a SA mag. What's your coal on the 260AI?
2.950", so it runs in a binderless AICS mag. Jumping .065", but it doesn't seem to care

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.